Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The greatest and most diverse architectural gem of the Sunbelt is...
Atlanta, Georgia 34 25.95%
Dallas, Texas 10 7.63%
Houston, Texas 18 13.74%
Los Angeles. California 53 40.46%
Miami, Florida 16 12.21%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 07:39 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,160,789 times

Advertisements

It really depends on what kind've architecture you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 08:06 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,039,355 times
No its really not - its a matter of knowledge of architecture. Diverse and Greatest =\= Your favorite

Los Angeles has substantially more influential architecture = greatest
Los Angeles has substantially more diversity of architectural styles = diversity
Los Angeles has substantially more influential Architectural schools = greatest

Atlanta doesn't come close. Sorry. I prefer Atlanta. I hate Frank Gehry's work. I hate Los Angeles. I'd rather live in Atlanta any day of the week, its more my style. But I still respect that Los Angeles is one of the world's premier architectural cities. Los Angeles is to modern museum, school, hospital, research center type of buildings what Chicago is to the skyscraper.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:27 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,271,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
No its really not - its a matter of knowledge of architecture. Diverse and Greatest =\= Your favorite

Los Angeles has substantially more diversity of architectural styles = diversity

Atlanta doesn't come close. Sorry. I prefer Atlanta. I hate Frank Gehry's work. I hate Los Angeles. I'd rather live in Atlanta any day of the week, its more my style. But I still respect that Los Angeles is one of the world's premier architectural cities. Los Angeles is to modern museum, school, hospital, research center type of buildings what Chicago is to the skyscraper.
After a post like this you gotta give it some respect. I respectfully disagree with some aspects, but I agree with the pricipal of this post.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:27 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,419,328 times
Actually, I can't blame all of Atlanta's lack of great architecture (besides skyscrapers that is) on Sherman's army.

I received an eye opening education on Atlanta's architectural history and what could have been from two recent events.

First event. I visited Denver last fall and learned that Denver has one of the greatest concentration of conserved old historical brick buildings in it's city center of any city in America. This fact results in making Denver's city center look and feel much more urban and dense than Atlanta's.

Second event. Soon after returning to Atlanta at a Books a Million in Georgia I stumbled onto a picture book of old Atlanta. Looking at the old near turn of the century photos of Downtown Atlanta something really struck me. The pictures looked amazingly like they could have been taken in Central Denver. There was a great concentration of big old multistory brick buildings all over the place. This was long after Sherman's march to the sea had taken place yet most of those brick buildings are no longer standing having been replaced by a less dense collection of glass and steel buildings, parking lots, and other things.

It seems Atlanta is more a victim of a tendency to knock down the old and replace with the new than of the Civil War.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:04 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,351,245 times
LA, obviously !

Old 06-07-2010, 10:34 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,174,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
it's only unfair if you really think los angeles is THAT much better than the others. but i don't, so it's a fair match, as far as i'm concerned

as a matter of fact, a majority of the votes aren't in la's favor
Actually LA is general considered well above the other cities by the majority of the academic and professional world. This really isn't even much of a competition. LA is more on the same level of NYC, Chicago, and SF. Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and Miami are just not in the same league, and that's coming from a TEXAN! I could spend a few pages explain LA's architectural history but I don't have the time or the patience to do so. The real debate is who comes in #2. I would say Houston, but you could argue any of the remaining four cities mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Exactly. +1

Quote:

I couldn't have said it better myself, except I would have added housing architecture to your list of building types Los Angeles has had a major impact on in design.

Last edited by wpmeads; 06-07-2010 at 10:55 AM..

Old 06-07-2010, 03:19 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,559,233 times
None-New Orleans takes this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City