Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which campus do you prefer
MIT 3 10.71%
IIT 2 7.14%
U Cincinnati 3 10.71%
FIU 6 21.43%
Other (Please Name) 14 50.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 06:46 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,027,108 times

Advertisements

So after the Sunbelt Architecture thread it got me thinking we could do one specifically for College Campuses.

For this one we're going to look primarily at campuses with contemporary modern architecture and diverse buildings. Not that the traditional style campuses like Yale and Harvard aren't interesting or the Spanish Revival style of Berkeley and Flagler aren't either. But in general it would be hard to compare those places and there are way too many in a traditional style.

I posted a poll with the 4 + Other because I'm sure I don't know every building on every campus.

IIT: Most notably Mies Van Der Rohe did extensive work on this campus. SOM then came in and did work and most recently Rem Koolhaas (OMA) did a building there. The entire campus has been added to the National Registry of Historic Places.

MIT: The powerhouse of campuses. Its got works by Alvaro Aalto, IM Pei, Steven Holl, Frank Gehry, and Eero Saarinen among others.

University of Cincinnati: The other current school that is developing some new buildings by real architecture powerhouses including: Michael Graves, Peter Eisenmann, Bernard Tschumi, IM Pei, Morphosis, STUDIOS Architecture

FIU: All of the buildings here are by pretty great architects, sadly the information on their architecture is hard to find. I do know Bernard Tschumi, BEA International, Arquitectonica, HOK have works there. I wish I knew all of them.

Notable mention:
University of Minnesota-Minneapolis: A mixture of the traditional and the modern with two most notable works one by Steven Holl and one by Frank Gehry. I don't think it can keep up yet but maybe if those two buildings draw in more in the future.

(pictures to follow)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 07:46 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,775,753 times
Indiana University (IU) has the most beautiful campus I've ever seen.

MIT is the most interesting and has the best architecture.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:08 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,758,529 times
Folks, please refresh your knowledge of the room sticky for photo posting guidelines before posting pics please. Thank you: http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...e-posting.html

Old 06-01-2010, 01:32 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,027,108 times
Really? Most of those photos were from the university websites or Wikicommons. I don't think the schools would mind free publicity. Some (the FIU) were from a classmate of mine that he posted on another forum..

... So much for this thread.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:57 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,888,830 times
The most beautiful school I have ever seen is Salve Regina in Newport, RI. But for me, a school should have more of a town around it and I like a larger school. UC Boulder is a really pretty school with the Flatirons as a backdrop and the spanish-style architecture. Harvard is a very classic example of what college should look like with the old brick buildings. Hobart and William Smith has a gorgeous location on Lake Seneca as well.

My school, Dalhousie University, is not in the US but I love the way it looks. Half of it is old stone buildings covered in ivy and the other half is more modern expermental buildings (some from the 60s and 70s are pretty ugly, but other new ones have been built "green' are cool with lots of windows and light). The older part of the school is centered around a quad and has no roads. The newer part is built around one street that regularily gets taken over by students. Further down this street is the medical school, dentistry, and engineering on another campus.

EDIT: I didnt realize this was focused on modern architecture. Basically all my answers are older classic archtecture, but that just screams "university" to me.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:36 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,081,021 times
My top 3:
Ohio University (Athens, Ohio)
University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
University of Kentucky (Lexington, KY)

Old 06-01-2010, 07:33 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,665,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukukuk View Post
my top 3:
Ohio university (athens, ohio)
university of michigan - ann arbor
university of kentucky (lexington, ky)
:d:d:d

Old 06-01-2010, 07:43 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,759,149 times
University of Iowa

http://www.city-data.com/forum/iowa/...here-some.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/iowa/...thread-19.html

To find more pictures of the campus try looking on google map or flickr.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:29 AM

2,781 posts, read 7,180,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
My top 3:
Ohio University (Athens, Ohio)
You've got to be kidding me. I went to OU for our game against them last year. It's kind of a cute little town for middle of nowhere, but it's nothing remotely special compared to pretty much any college town in the country.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:27 AM

27,213 posts, read 28,295,642 times
Princeton University has one of the best-looking campuses I've seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City