U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Dallas 42 38.18%
Philadelphia 68 61.82%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2010, 07:59 PM

2,233 posts, read 2,129,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Dallas has 385 sq mi of land of course you are going to see tralier parks in rural Southern Dallas County!

I am sure you won't find rural land in Philadelphia, they only have 135 sq mi how can the city grow?
Cedar Ridge Mobile Home-Rv Pk

• [SIZE=4](214) 371-9818 [/SIZE]
2307 Cedar Mound Dr, Dallas, TX 75241 Get directions

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^so this address is in rural Dallas?

Philly grows into its suburbs, which is why its suburbs are alot more charming than just about any burbs in DFW.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 08:09 PM

3,269 posts, read 5,048,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Cedar Ridge Mobile Home-Rv Pk

• [SIZE=4](214) 371-9818 [/SIZE]
2307 Cedar Mound Dr, Dallas, TX 75241 Get directions

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^so this address is in rural Dallas?

Philly grows into its suburbs, which is why its suburbs are alot more charming than just about any burbs in DFW.

It is kinda rural in that area of Dallas.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:29 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,990,177 times
I have never been to Philly and its not fair to assume anything but from what I've seen on tv and in photos on sites like this one it looks very old and dirty. I dont know how thats appealing to anyone. I find being somewhere like that very depressing. Especially in northern areas that have a lot of grey skies most the year. I like for a city to have a vibrant new, upscale, contemporary feel to it and Dallas definitely has that. Contrary to popular belief the DFW area has a lot of great cultural offerings. I know a lot of older cities like to snub their nose to us down here but if you really looked into what the metroplex has to offer there is a lot around here.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:01 PM

2,233 posts, read 2,129,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I have never been to Philly and its not fair to assume anything but from what I've seen on tv and in photos on sites like this one it looks very old and dirty. I dont know how thats appealing to anyone. I find being somewhere like that very depressing. Especially in northern areas that have a lot of grey skies most the year. I like for a city to have a vibrant new, upscale, contemporary feel to it and Dallas definitely has that. Contrary to popular belief the DFW area has a lot of great cultural offerings. I know a lot of older cities like to snub their nose to us down here but if you really looked into what the metroplex has to offer there is a lot around here.
It is old, but its not dirty, it just seems like that to outsiders because the dirty ruined inner city neighborhoods get all the press and attention(wrongfully so in my opinion). Here are some pictures of the "real" Philadelphia.

Chestnut Hill(Philly)

Manayunk(Philly)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9c/P3290728x.jpg/800px-P3290728x.jpg (broken link)

Main Line (Montco)

Darby (Delco)

Roxborough(Philly)

All Photos Courtesy of Flickr.com

Old 06-04-2010, 08:07 AM

4,400 posts, read 4,466,721 times
^ I like Roxboro, seems like a nice area. It looks urban but still not packed like sardines. I don't understand why my NE brothers/sisters like that. But to each their own.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:11 AM

2,784 posts, read 4,189,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Well you shouldn't make judgments unless you've visited. Someone who hasn't been to Texas can say you all walk around with cowboy hats on and ride horses, but we know that's not true, right?

I like Dallas, but it just feels very sterile coming from Philly. Also, the sprawl is utterly insane.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:40 AM

18,521 posts, read 14,539,118 times
Some other pics of Philly homes and parallel parking

Old 06-04-2010, 12:53 PM

3,269 posts, read 5,048,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Well you shouldn't make judgments unless you've visited. Someone who hasn't been to Texas can say you all walk around with cowboy hats on and ride horses, but we know that's not true, right?

I like Dallas, but it just feels very sterile coming from Philly. Also, the sprawl is utterly insane.
The sprawl is in the subrubs not really in Dallas.

Dallas has some very pretty neighborhoods, Wynnewood in Oak Cliff is a very pretty area of Dallas.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:27 PM

4,400 posts, read 4,466,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post

What are you getting so hyped up about? The person merely said what their perception was. Based on what they've seen in pics and prior to that statement said that it was unfair for them to accurately comment on Phily cuz they've never been. Relax.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:29 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,506,922 times
I will say that I do find the older areas of Philadelphia to be quite charming and enticing. There's really nothing like that in Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City