Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Dallas 77 43.26%
Philadelphia 101 56.74%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 06:43 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,729,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
On the very hot I agree
on the very Cold - not so sure - i dont even think Philly is very cold
The lowest we have got in Dallas this winter was 13 degrees other cities around the Metropex was in the single digits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 06:46 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,665,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
The lowest we have got in Dallas this winter was 14 degrees other cities around the Metropex was in the single digits.

Well that is cold but on the whole winters in the big D dont seem quite as bad - not as warm as Houston but honestly weather wise a trip to Dallas for me always seemed like a break during the winter. I remeber thinking how warm the sun felt just this past February - maybe i caught a good day

Old 06-02-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Well that is cold but on the whole winters in the big D doesnt seem quite as bad - not as warm as Houston but honestly weather wise a trip to Dallas for me always seemed like a break during the winter. I remeber thinking how warm the sun felt just this past February - maybe i caught a good day
Winter in North Texas is always cold to me.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:58 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,800,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Dallas has 4 seasons

Spring: Cool
Summer: Very Hot
Fall: Mild
Winter: Very Cold
LOL. right now, in the 75201 zip code, it's 87 degrees with a heat index of 91. that is not what i'd call a "cool" spring

in texas, the first few days/weeks of spring are considerably mild, but the majority of the season is generally warm and often muggy and uncomfortable

Old 06-02-2010, 07:01 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,665,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
LOL. right now, in the 75201 zip code, it's 87 degrees with a heat index of 91. that is not what i'd call a "cool" spring

in texas, the first few days/weeks of spring are considerably mild, but the majority of the season is generally warm and often muggy and uncomfortable

I hear ya - it was just about 90 here in Philly today - so much for spring - we went from winter to summer - at least the snow finally has stopped

Old 06-02-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post

On the news they said the temperatures are going to above normal.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:06 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,800,933 times
Quote:
Well that is cold but on the whole winters in the big D dont seem quite as bad - not as warm as Houston but honestly weather wise a trip to Dallas for me always seemed like a break during the winter. I remeber thinking how warm the sun felt just this past February - maybe i caught a good day
southern winters are never consistent. one day it will be 75 and sunny and two days later it will be cloudy and windy with a high of 33. so it's a mistake for anyone to think it doesn't get cold in texas

for some reason, though, it seems like the coldest temps always happen where autumn and winter meet

Old 06-02-2010, 07:07 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,928,719 times
Quote:
-
Here is my hood - btw - the Philly link adds a building that is only proposed but looks good - Now to my Flyers - ugh we need a win (I have tickets to game 5 in Chicago I need a win)
Haha you guys need to step it up! You can't just let us win that easily, not in the Stanley Cup!!

I am loving the day atmosphere here. B-E-A-UTIFUL, it's like Christmas without the snow, so much passion, so much spirit. This is why I love Hockey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Im pretty sure we just did a Dallas vs. Philadelphia thread not too long ago.

Most criteria is subjective (like food). Some people may prefer the food in Philly. They do have great offerings and superior Italian, German, French, and Puerto Rican Cuisine. However Dallas will offer better Mexican, Salvadoran, Vietnamese, and Southwestern (ie Tex-Mex). Both cities will have lots of Indian, Korean, Chinese, American, etc. food. You can find a resturant from any culture either place. Which set of foods is better? You cant really say because its too subjective.
I searched for them, I got one of two results;

1. Comparison that turned into 320 comments of bickering between North/South.
2. Skyline criteria

Plus I didn't see any recent, last one was sometime in November 2009.

A lot of the criteria is indeed subjective, but I wouldn't ever classify food as a superior/inferior thing, personal preference, some people will like Pei Wei more than PF Chang's for odd reasons other than cost.
The food option isn't really a big topic, it's just what you prefer, you can like both cities, very subjective on food.

As for me, food is a huge category for me, but I have found myself to like restaurants to nearly every city I have been too. I like a little bit of diversity, and I love a city that has multicultural food to suit my needs for whatever particular day. And most cities have that. I am content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I prefer Dallas. Anything in the South will always get my vote. However, this was actually a close call. I think these two cities go head to head pretty good. Dallas has larger and probably more prominent suburbs, I think. But the core of Phily edges out Dallas. I see my self living in both eventually one day. Getting my Ph.D. in Philly and settling in Dallas.
I am far more content with this comparison. I find Philadelphia posters to be humble.

Philadelphia and Dallas are very humble, and I like how we can all have a civil comparison here.

Good luck with your PhD.

Last edited by DANNYY; 06-02-2010 at 07:36 PM..

Old 06-02-2010, 08:47 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,993,970 times
- Life style
Dallas

- Economy overall
Dallas

- Education
Philly

- Metropolitan Area population (which one is larger by population)
Dallas

- City Area population (what's the city's population, which is larger)
Philly

- Professional Sports (And their venues!)
Dallas

- City Scape (downtown, skyline, notable buildings)
downtown and notable buildings Philly
skyline Dallas

- Public Transportation
Philly

- Major Interstates and other roads
Dallas

- Airport
Dallas by far

- Housing
Dallas

- Food (Ethnic food, unique food of it's own, etc..)
Dallas

- Proximity to other locations
Philly

- Economy growth and diversity (Post Recession climate)
Dallas

- Art galleries
Philly, but Dallas is catching up

- Music scene
Tie

- Museums
Philly, but Dallas is catching up

- Parks
Philly

- Shopping
Dallas

- Climate (which you prefer, and why?)
Dallas. Doesn't like snow, slippery road

- Notable companies headquartered here
Dallas has Texas Intruments and Neiman Marcus, Philly has Comcast

Old 06-02-2010, 09:52 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,696,926 times
Life style- Philly
Economy overall- Dallas
Education- Philly
Metropolitan Area population (which one is larger by population)- Dallas
City Area population (what's the city's population, which is larger)- Philly
Professional Sports (And their venues!)- Dallas
City Scape (downtown, skyline, notable buildings)- Philly
Public Transportation- Philly
Major Interstates and other roads- Dallas
Airport- Dallas
Housing- Philly(Chestnut Hill, not North Philly)
Food (Ethnic food, unique food of it's own, etc..)- Philly
Proximity to other locations- Philly
Economy growth and diversity (Post Recession climate)- Dallas
Art galleries- Philly
Music scene- Philly
Museums- Philly
Parks- Philly
Shopping- Philly(KOP largest single retail space in America), but Dallas is no slouch
Climate (which you prefer, and why?)- Philly, Dallas' weather seems more deceptive and unpredictable.
Notable companies headquartered here- Comcast, and some Phara and health insurance. I don't know who Dallas has.
Anything else you can possibly think up and want to add- Dallas is named after a guy from Philly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City