Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Dallas 77 43.26%
Philadelphia 101 56.74%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 11:35 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,255,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Seriously? I know Dallas has some nice suburbs but is there anything in Dallas that compares with the Main Line of Philadelphia?
I was referring to metro suburbs. Phily has Wilmington and Camden. Dallas has Fort Worth, Arlington, Plano, and Irving. But I did say probably, because I am far from an expert in either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 11:36 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,928,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I was referring to metro suburbs. Phily has Wilmington and Camden. Dallas has Fort Worth, Arlington, Plano, and Irving. But I did say probably, because I am far from an expert in either.
Fort Worth isn't a suburb!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-02-2010, 11:38 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,729,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Fort Worth isn't a suburb!!!!!!!!!!!
I was about to say the same thing!

Old 06-02-2010, 11:41 PM

^^ Y'all know what I mean. Stop being so sensitive. LOL.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:43 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,928,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
^^ Y'all know what I mean. Stop being so sensitive. LOL.
Here in Texas we love Fort Worth to death. It's our pride and joy and our future. ROFL

You know what the bug Texan guy named Tex says "Ain't no buddy mess with Texas" same thing "Ain't no buddy mess with Fort Worth" you can mess with Houston, Dallas, Austin, but not Fort Worth and San Antonio! Lol.

Just playin with you adavi!

Old 06-03-2010, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Here in Texas we love Fort Worth to death. It's our pride and joy and our future. ROFL

You know what the bug Texan guy named Tex says "Ain't no buddy mess with Texas" same thing "Ain't no buddy mess with Fort Worth" you can mess with Houston, Dallas, Austin, but not Fort Worth and San Antonio! Lol.

Just playin with you adavi!
Its all love.

I think Dallas and Phily represent two different types of big cities. One the is polycentric, Dallas, and one that is more monocentric, Phily. Phily is the kingpin of its region whereas Dallas is the overlord with several knights and barons under it.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:10 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,800,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Life style- Philly
Economy overall- Dallas
Education- Philly
Metropolitan Area population (which one is larger by population)- Dallas
City Area population (what's the city's population, which is larger)- Philly
Professional Sports (And their venues!)- Dallas
City Scape (downtown, skyline, notable buildings)- Philly
Public Transportation- Philly
Major Interstates and other roads- Dallas
Airport- Dallas
Housing- Philly(Chestnut Hill, not North Philly)
Food (Ethnic food, unique food of it's own, etc..)- Philly
Proximity to other locations- Philly
Economy growth and diversity (Post Recession climate)- Dallas
Art galleries- Philly
Music scene- Philly
Museums- Philly
Parks- Philly
Shopping- Philly(KOP largest single retail space in America), but Dallas is no slouch
Climate (which you prefer, and why?)- Philly, Dallas' weather seems more deceptive and unpredictable.
Notable companies headquartered here- Comcast, and some Phara and health insurance. I don't know who Dallas has.
Anything else you can possibly think up and want to add- Dallas is named after a guy from Philly
not only is dallas no slouch, but it has a larger selection of high end goods than philadelphia. so i don't see how having one big huge mall could make philly the better shopping city

and i admit that i'm guessing with this one, but i'm pretty sure dallas metro has more retail shopping centers/malls overall

Old 06-03-2010, 12:28 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,696,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
not only is dallas no slouch, but it has a larger selection of high end goods than philadelphia. so i don't see how having one big huge mall could make philly the better shopping city

and i admit that i'm guessing with this one, but i'm pretty sure dallas metro has more retail shopping centers/malls overall
You probably do have more malls, because we have a mix of regular suburban malls and tiny(1 sq mile or less, about the size of a sunbelt mall and its parking lot) densley packed boroughs, that essentially act as walkable, outdoor, quirky mom and pop store with local pub, shopping and entertainment centers. See. Ambler, Pa; Jenkintown, PA; Bristol, PA; Hatboro, Pa; Conshohocken, PA; Narberth, Pa and many more in South Jersey and the other local counties.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:58 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,696,926 times
If you perfer mall shopping, then Dallas hands down, but if you perfer densely packed one of a kind boutiques then Philly would be alot better.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:09 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,800,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
If you perfer mall shopping, then Dallas hands down, but if you perfer densely packed one of a kind boutiques then Philly would be alot better.
i think it depends on the individual as to what entails "better shopping", but i would assume that most people would be looking at which city has the more exclusive selection of retail and that would be dallas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City