U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Dallas 42 38.18%
Philadelphia 68 61.82%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-03-2010, 09:43 AM
 
Location: 75025 (previously 75254, 90505, 90010, and 60614)
10,166 posts, read 10,537,658 times
Reputation: 6587
Here are some demographic comparisons. For simplicity Ive rounded the numbers up or down. The numbers wont all add up to 100% because I didnt bother with the mixed race section:

Dallas proper:

Hispanic: 548,000 - 44.6%
Non-Hispanic White: 356,000 - 29.0%
African-American: 275,000 - 22.3%
Asian: 34,000 - 2.7%

Philadelphia proper:

African American: 616,000 - 42.5%
Non-Hispanic White: 561,000 - 38.8%
Hispanic: 163,000 - 11.3%
Asian: 79,000 - 5.5%

Dallas/Fort Worth Metro area:

Non-Hispanic White: 3,276,000 - 52.0%
Hispanic: 1,733,000 - 27.5%
African-American: 867,000 - 13.8%
Asian: 333,000 - 5.8%

Metro Philadelphia/Camden:

Non-Hispanic White: 3,929,000 - 67.3%
African American: 1,158,000 - 19.8%
Hispanic: 394,000 - 6.7%
Asian: 278,000 - 4.8%

Growth per city since 2000:

Philadelphia: 31,000
Dallas: 92,000

Growth per metropolitan area:

Metro Philadelphia/Camden/Wilmington: 281,000
Metro Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington: 1,286,000


Based on this factual information, I would make the conclusion that the DFW area and Dallas itself are more diverse except among European cultures where Philly is obviously more diverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-03-2010, 09:46 AM
 
2,233 posts, read 2,258,683 times
Reputation: 1123
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^So...........................your point is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 09:50 AM
 
Location: 75025 (previously 75254, 90505, 90010, and 60614)
10,166 posts, read 10,537,658 times
Reputation: 6587
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^So...........................your point is?
That there is overall more diversity among people in DFW than Philly. Some would say thats a plus. Its not the only thing that makes a city nice, but it helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Nevernever land
2,616 posts, read 2,031,046 times
Reputation: 4387
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
No need to explain, your screen name says it all.

Actually my screen name was a joke. It has nothing to do with my personality or sexuality. If anything I am an alpha male. Straight, strong (wrestled for many years) and not afraid of much. Probably been in over fifty fights in my life. Not bragging, just a fact. But as I am older, I don't feel the need to prove myself anymore. In Philly there are far to many hot head, wannabe tough guys. I don't have the time or patience for that crap anymore. Plus I like my freedom. There are alot of tough guys in prison.But you keep insulting me, because I don't think highly of Philly people. You are proving my claim to a "T". Thank you..

Besides, I am man enough in my sexuality and personality to carry a name like that. It was meant to be a pun, but many are thinking that it has something to do with my sexuality, etc. Not at all. If I would have put Superman alone I would have been construed as egotistical. So I made fun out of it. Trust me, and I am not trying to argue with you or make any problems but I can almost guarantee you that in person you would watch your mouth around me. Atleast show me some respect, as I would show you. You wouldn't be so free to talk trash.

Only Philly people are so damn defensive. They act like their city is the best city in the world. Get over yourself. Your not that special to the rest of the nation.

Last edited by supermanpansy; 06-03-2010 at 10:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia,New Jersey, NYC!
6,971 posts, read 12,252,652 times
Reputation: 2481
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Here are some demographic comparisons. For simplicity Ive rounded the numbers up or down. The numbers wont all add up to 100% because I didnt bother with the mixed race section:

Dallas proper:

Hispanic: 548,000 - 44.6%
Non-Hispanic White: 356,000 - 29.0%
African-American: 275,000 - 22.3%
Asian: 34,000 - 2.7%

Philadelphia proper:

African American: 616,000 - 42.5%
Non-Hispanic White: 561,000 - 38.8%
Hispanic: 163,000 - 11.3%
Asian: 79,000 - 5.5%

Dallas/Fort Worth Metro area:

Non-Hispanic White: 3,276,000 - 52.0%
Hispanic: 1,733,000 - 27.5%
African-American: 867,000 - 13.8%
Asian: 333,000 - 5.8%

Metro Philadelphia/Camden:

Non-Hispanic White: 3,929,000 - 67.3%
African American: 1,158,000 - 19.8%
Hispanic: 394,000 - 6.7%
Asian: 278,000 - 4.8%

Growth per city since 2000:

Philadelphia: 31,000
Dallas: 92,000

Growth per metropolitan area:

Metro Philadelphia/Camden/Wilmington: 281,000
Metro Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington: 1,286,000


Based on this factual information, I would make the conclusion that the DFW area and Dallas itself are more diverse except among European cultures where Philly is obviously more diverse.
i agree. plus i like the fact that they are 2 very different cities with different lifestyles. if all cities were the same in culture, architecture, weather, etc...this would be a pretty boring world.

variety IS the spice of life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 09:58 AM
 
2,233 posts, read 2,258,683 times
Reputation: 1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
Actually my screen name was a joke. It has nothing to do with my personality or sexuality. If anything I am an alpha male. Straight, strong (wrestled for many years) and not afraid of much. Probably been in over fifty fights in my life. Not bragging, just a fact. But as I am older, I don't feel the need to prove myself anymore. In Philly there are far to many hot head, wannabe tough guys. I don't have the time or patience for that crap anymore. But you keep insulting me, because I don't think highly of Philly people. You are proving my claim to a "T". Thank you..

Besides, I am man enough in my sexuality and personality to carry a name like that. It was meant to be a pun, but many are thinking that it has something to do with my sexuality, etc. Not at all. If I would have put Superman alone I would have been construed as egotistical. So I made fun out of it. Trust me, and I am not trying to argue with you or make any problems but I can almost guarantee you that in person you would watch your mouth around me. Atleast show me some respect, as I would show you. You wouldn't be so free to talk trash.
The broad generalizations is not cool.

I respect my mother and father, and a select few others, other than that I hate everybody equally. I'm not scared of anybody(except maybe the cops) because I have yet to meet someone who can outrun a bullet.

I mean no disrespect, there is just no need for the "I'ma tough guy" routine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 10:01 AM
 
Location: Nevernever land
2,616 posts, read 2,031,046 times
Reputation: 4387
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
The broad generalizations is not cool.

I respect my mother and father, and a select few others, other than that I hate everybody equally. I'm not scared of anybody(except maybe the cops) because I have yet to meet someone who can outrun a bullet.

Are you serious? That is so lame. Not to be mean but you really have some growing up to do. I hope to god that you do. Like all little boys, you can have the last word, because I don't care for this tit for tat crap. Think of me what you want. Why the heck do I care what someone like you thinks? I somehow get the picture that you have a short life on C-D anyway. You attack others too much and are too argumentative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 10:06 AM
 
2,233 posts, read 2,258,683 times
Reputation: 1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
you can have the last word, because I don't care for this tit for tat crap. Think of me what you want. Why the heck do I care what someone like you thinks?
Exactly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 10:36 AM
 
Location: America
5,098 posts, read 4,509,576 times
Reputation: 1863
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
No. You show us. You're the one who made the claim, now back it up. Otherwise, you're admitting you made a totally unfounded claim in the hopes that no one would call you on it.

P.S. Nice try calling us "lazy" to try to ward off attackers...
lol this theory might be more effective if i was unsure about my argument. truth be told, i'm the one that's lazy because i really don't feel like doing a list of all those names. at the same time, it's more fun seeing you guys accuse me of not having any sources.....good times on city-data
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 10:37 AM
 
Location: ITP - Northeast Atlanta
1,379 posts, read 1,431,158 times
Reputation: 1013
I saw this thread yesterday and decided to sleep on it. Now that I’ve had my obligatory cup of coffee, I think I may be ready to make my decision-lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post

- Life style; Dallas. It’s a lot more in line with what I’m accustomed to.
- Economy overall; Dallas. Philadelphia’s is strong, but I think the city of Dallas has a brilliant future ahead of it.
- Education; Definitely Philadelphia.
- Metropolitan Area population; Dallas.
- City Area population; Philadelphia, but this isn't a plus. I don’t like feeling compressed so to speak.
- Professional Sports (And their venues!); Philadelphia
- City Scape; This definitely goes to Philadelphia; a very urban feel.
- Public Transportation; Philadelphia.
- Major Interstates and other roads; Dallas
- Airport; Dallas.
- Housing; Dallas for sure!
- Food; Philadelphia does have great food aside from the Cheesesteaks/Hoagies-lol
- Proximity to other locations; Philadelphia!!!!
- Economy growth and diversity (Post Recession climate); Dallas
- Art galleries; Philadelphia
- Music scene; Philadelphia
- Museums; Philadelphia
- Parks; Philadelphia
- Shopping; Philadelphia
- Climate (which you prefer, and why?); Dallas for sure!
After taking all things into consideration, Philadelphia’s close proximity to so many other locations outweighed everything else for me. This wasn’t easy since I’ve always preferred more modern places with a lot less density than Philly, but I had to go with “The City of Brotherly Love” on this one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:13 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top