Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Dallas 77 43.26%
Philadelphia 101 56.74%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 05:44 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,928,719 times

Advertisements

Dallas and Philadelphia, here's their brief introduction.

Dallas: Possibly the most known/popular city in Texas (debatable- Houston people don't kill me for this), 3rd largest city in Texas, apart of the largest metropolitan area in Texas, and one of the fastest growing cities in America.

Philadelphia: Historic city in the BosWash corridor, beautiful architecture, and has been one of the largest cities in the country since the very start. 2nd largest city in the Northeast and largest in Pennsylvania.

So the criteria would be;

- Life style
- Economy overall
- Education
- Metropolitan Area population (which one is larger by population)
- City Area population (what's the city's population, which is larger)
- Professional Sports (And their venues!)
- City Scape (downtown, skyline, notable buildings)
- Public Transportation
- Major Interstates and other roads
- Airport
- Housing
- Food (Ethnic food, unique food of it's own, etc..)
- Proximity to other locations
- Economy growth and diversity (Post Recession climate)
- Art galleries
- Music scene
- Museums
- Parks
- Shopping
- Climate (which you prefer, and why?)
- Notable companies headquartered here
- Anything else you can possibly think up and want to add

You don't have to answer all the criteria, just the ones you actually know. Again keep it civil and make sure to give reasoning as to why you picked a certain location, don't just write the city name and leave it unexplained.

You're welcome to share pictures of the two cities, it's more than welcoming.

Here are a few pictures to set this off:

Dallas:
http://www.sophisticatedlitigationsu...Skyline_01.jpg

Philadelphia:
http://www.rittenhouseastronomicalso...ladelphia1.jpg

PS: You can make up your own list of criteria, and compare them.

Last edited by DANNYY; 06-02-2010 at 06:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 05:46 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,729,385 times
Dallas, I think?!?

Old 06-02-2010, 05:50 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,928,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Dallas, I think?!?
You have to state why you picked it though!

Old 06-02-2010, 06:00 PM

- Life style-Dallas
- Economy overall-Dallas
- Education-N/A
- Metropolitan Area population-Dallas
- City Area population-Philly
- Professional Sports-Dallas
- City Scape-Dallas
- Public Transportation-Philly
- Major Interstates and other roads-Dallas
- Airport-Dallas
- Housing-Dallas
- Food-Philly
- Proximity to other locations-Philly
- Economy growth and diversity-Dallas
- Art galleries-Philly
- Music scene-Philly
- Museums-Philly
- Parks-Philly
- Shopping-Dallas
- Climate-Philly
- Notable companies headquartered here-Dallas: AT&T

Old 06-02-2010, 06:21 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,665,395 times
- Life style - I prefer NE Living so Philly
- Economy overall - Seems like Dallas in the in the here and now
- Education - Philly
- Metropolitan Area population (which one is larger by population) -Urban Philly - CSA now Dallas (add back Trenton (half the distance of Ft Worth for what its its worth) and its Philly
- City Area population (what's the city's population, which is larger) - Philly Urban core dwarfs Dallas
- Professional Sports (And their venues!) - I am too biased to vote cant stop loving my teams
- City Scape (downtown, skyline, notable buildings) - Definately Philly for me - the downtown and urban vibrancy
- Public Transportation - Philly
- Major Interstates and other roads - Dallas
- Airport - Dallas - though Philly does just fine for Europe and Direct flights to other major metros
- Housing - Cost Dallas - Location Philly (Dallas does not have a neighborhood that can compare to where I live)
- Food (Ethnic food, unique food of it's own, etc..) - Philly - has become a food mecca over the last ten years
- Proximity to other locations - Philly - I prefer the NE plus it is closer ot the Beach (way closer)
- Economy growth and diversity (Post Recession climate) - Both seem actually pretty good but may have to give the nod to Dallas
- Art galleries - Philly
- Music scene - Cant comment on Dallas so no vote
- Museums - Philly
- Parks - Love Rittenhouse
- Shopping - Who Cares
- Climate (which you prefer, and why?) - Like four Seasons - Philly
- Notable companies headquartered here - Philly Comcast, Vangaurd Financial, Numerous Pharma Companies
- Anything else you can possibly think up and want to add - Philly is major Law Center, Education Center

Home is where the heart is

Here is my hood - btw - the Philly link adds a building that is only proposed but looks good - Now to my Flyers - ugh we need a win (I have tickets to game 5 in Chicago I need a win)

Last edited by kidphilly; 06-02-2010 at 06:42 PM..

Old 06-02-2010, 06:26 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,255,770 times
I prefer Dallas. Anything in the South will always get my vote. However, this was actually a close call. I think these two cities go head to head pretty good. Dallas has larger and probably more prominent suburbs, I think. But the core of Phily edges out Dallas. I see my self living in both eventually one day. Getting my Ph.D. in Philly and settling in Dallas.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
- Life style - I prefer NE Living so Philly
- Economy overall - Seems like Dallas in the in the here and now
- Education - Philly
- Metropolitan Area population (which one is larger by population) -Urban Philly - CSA now Dallas (add back Trenton (half the distance of Ft Worth for what its its worth) and its Philly
- City Area population (what's the city's population, which is larger) - Philly Urban core dwarfs Dallas
- Professional Sports (And their venues!) - I am too biased to vote cant stop loving my teams
- City Scape (downtown, skyline, notable buildings) - Definately Philly for me - the downtown and urban vibrancy
- Public Transportation - Philly
- Major Interstates and other roads - Dallas
- Airport - Dallas - though Philly does just fine for Europe and Direct flights to other major metros
- Housing - Cost Dallas - Location Philly (Dallas does not have a neighborhood that can compare to where I live)
- Food (Ethnic food, unique food of it's own, etc..) - Philly - has become a food mecca over the last ten years
- Proximity to other locations - Philly - I prefer the NE plus it is closer ot the Beach (way closer)
- Economy growth and diversity (Post Recession climate) - Both seem actually pretty good but may have to give the nod to Dallas
- Art galleries - Philly
- Music scene - Cant comment on Dallas so no vote
- Museums - Philly
- Parks - Love Rittenhouse
- Shopping - Who Cares
- Climate (which you prefer, and why?) - Like four Seasons - Philly
- Notable companies headquartered here - Seems Close toss up
- Anything else you can possibly think up and want to add
Home is where the heart is

Here is my hood - btw - the Philly link adds a building that is only proposed but looks good - Now to my Flyers - ugh we need a win (I have tickets to game 5 in Chicago I need a win)

Dallas has 4 seasons

Spring: Cool
Summer: Very Hot
Fall: Mild
Winter: Very Cold

Old 06-02-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I prefer Dallas. Anything in the South will always get my vote. However, this was actually a close call. I think these two cities go head to head pretty good. Dallas has larger and probably more prominent suburbs, I think. But the core of Phily edges out Dallas. I see my self living in both eventually one day. Getting my Ph.D. in Philly and settling in Dallas.

Seriously? I know Dallas has some nice suburbs but is there anything in Dallas that compares with the Main Line of Philadelphia?

Old 06-02-2010, 06:37 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,583,506 times
Im pretty sure we just did a Dallas vs. Philadelphia thread not too long ago.

Most criteria is subjective (like food). Some people may prefer the food in Philly. They do have great offerings and superior Italian, German, French, and Puerto Rican Cuisine. However Dallas will offer better Mexican, Salvadoran, Vietnamese, and Southwestern (ie Tex-Mex). Both cities will have lots of Indian, Korean, Chinese, American, etc. food. You can find a resturant from any culture either place. Which set of foods is better? You cant really say because its too subjective.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Dallas has 4 seasons

Spring: Cool
Summer: Very Hot
Fall: Mild
Winter: Very Cold

On the very hot I agree (this one gave Philly the edge for me - summers aren't quite as oppressive)
on the very Cold - not so sure - i dont even think Philly is very cold
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City