U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 03-03-2012, 07:09 PM
 
Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,713 posts, read 2,247,896 times
Reputation: 897

Advertisements

At one times, these places were vibrant. You see plenty of examples of big houses in North St. Louis that fit this profile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-05-2012, 06:53 PM
 
958 posts, read 272,594 times
Reputation: 228
Don't ever compare LA's hoods to ours. Ever. Seriously, just no.

You live in single-family houses or house-like projects and you want to talk about slums like you know something. Go to parts of New York or Philly or Camden, Chester, Wilmington, etc sometime and get educated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2012, 08:57 PM
 
Location: Chicago
36,640 posts, read 57,980,482 times
Reputation: 25689
Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
Don't ever compare LA's hoods to ours. Ever. Seriously, just no.

You live in single-family houses or house-like projects and you want to talk about slums like you know something. Go to parts of New York or Philly or Camden, Chester, Wilmington, etc sometime and get educated.
"Hood bragging rights" is unbelievably lame.

Hood is hood. Having a yard and a living room may make it more physically comfortable but it's still a psychologically trying experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2012, 09:14 PM
 
Location: The Bay
6,920 posts, read 6,902,823 times
Reputation: 2947
Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
Don't ever compare LA's hoods to ours. Ever. Seriously, just no.

You live in single-family houses or house-like projects and you want to talk about slums like you know something. Go to parts of New York or Philly or Camden, Chester, Wilmington, etc sometime and get educated.
Where they do that at? Not LA.

http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2009/09/01/ba-watts02_ph2_0500532734.jpg (broken link)

http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2009/09/01/ba-watts02_ph2_0500532734.jpg (broken link)

What about that looks "house-like"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2012, 09:51 PM
 
958 posts, read 272,594 times
Reputation: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
"Hood bragging rights" is unbelievably lame.

Hood is hood. Having a yard and a living room may make it more physically comfortable but it's still a psychologically trying experience.
Who the hell is bragging?

And no.. sorry. Don't think so. Go ask somebody in one of the many project towers that exist in NY if they think LA or anywhere else on the West Coast is as physically trying to live in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Where they do that at? Not LA.



http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2009/09/01/ba-watts02_ph2_0500532734.jpg (broken link)

What about that looks "house-like"?
Exactly what I'm talking about.

You know nothing about project towers, which were all over parts of Philly and elsewhere before recently.

You know nothing about crumbling streets and rowhouse-lined blocks that are semi reclaimed by nature. You know nothing about a REAL concrete jungle that swallows you up.

You have the NERVE to talk ish on Philly and the East Coast for houses that were big in the early 20th Century at the latest when they were built and mostly a lot older than that, houses that were NOT built for poor people, when you all know NOTHING about real ghettos. Your worst ghettos look like some of our nicer neighborhoods. You mess up nice areas and that makes you hard? No, it makes you somebody who doesn't appreciate what so many people on the East Coast flat out don't have. Nothing to be proud of at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2012, 10:26 PM
 
Location: The Bay
6,920 posts, read 6,902,823 times
Reputation: 2947
Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
Who the hell is bragging?

And no.. sorry. Don't think so. Go ask somebody in one of the many project towers that exist in NY if they think LA or anywhere else on the West Coast is as physically trying to live in.

Exactly what I'm talking about.

You know nothing about project towers, which were all over parts of Philly and elsewhere before recently.

You know nothing about crumbling streets and rowhouse-lined blocks that are semi reclaimed by nature. You know nothing about a REAL concrete jungle that swallows you up.


You have the NERVE to talk ish on Philly and the East Coast for houses that were big in the early 20th Century at the latest when they were built and mostly a lot older than that, houses that were NOT built for poor people, when you all know NOTHING about real ghettos. Your worst ghettos look like some of our nicer neighborhoods. You mess up nice areas and that makes you hard? No, it makes you somebody who doesn't appreciate what so many people on the East Coast flat out don't have. Nothing to be proud of at all.
Hmm, interesting... those project towers in my city must be figments of my imagination

And lol at how much you think you know about me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2012, 11:09 PM
 
958 posts, read 272,594 times
Reputation: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Hmm, interesting... those project towers in my city must be figments of my imagination

And lol at how much you think you know about me...
You mean how much I DO know about you.

For example, you spoke multiple untruths in that hip-hop thread, like saying conscious hip hop didn't start until the late 80s, early 90s, which the early 80s song called "The Message" would disagree with. I know you're not actually from San Francisco if I remember correctly. I know you know nothing about the East Coast or the harsh realities of it. That's where you and I differ.

You tried to talk ish on the East Coast based on your suburban looking ghettos. You tried to talk ish on neighborhoods that used to be wealthy. You never showed the rowhouses crumbling in North Philly and even in West and Southwest and elsewhere. You never showed the former Philly project towers or the bombed out neighborhoods all across the metro that make yours look like Disneyland. Most people in those neighborhoods would live in your worst ghettos in a heartbeat because sure they may have problems and violence but they aren't concrete jungles and things just flat out aren't the same out there as they are out here. Out here, people get kicked out of their dilapidated houses when they're deemed uninhabitable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2012, 11:30 PM
 
1,592 posts, read 1,720,493 times
Reputation: 2065
I've walked around East Coast hoods and never got hassled...walked around LA hoods and got in way more trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2012, 11:30 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
6,522 posts, read 4,980,300 times
Reputation: 2448
Check out the 1500 block of North 16th Street in Philadelphia between Oxford and Jefferson Sts. Very, very cool. There are old "mansions there." There are also a few on the corner of Broad and Jefferson Sts. Also check out the Divine Lorraine. There are also several mansions scattered throughout the area. North Philadelphia used to be where the "elitists" lived in Philly. Also some of the Northwest part of the city (I.E. Roxborough and Chestnut Hill) was built as an elitist "getaway" suburb until it was annexed by the city in the Act of Consolidation in 1854. When de-industrialization, the great depression, outsourcing and white-flight simultaneously hit Philadelphia along with pretty much every large American city of the time, North Philadelphia was hit HARD. The elitists left leaving cheap real estate and the poor moved in and the downfall of North Philadelphia began. Northwest Philadelphia is still in good shape and contains some of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the city (Chestnut Hill). The mansions that haven't been destroyed/demo'd are spread thinly throughout North Philly. The ones I mentioned earlier have been preserved by Temple University and local neighborhood groups being converted into apartments and such. It is quite amazing to see them in person. (Got to take pictures of one for a real estate group, quite amazing architecture in and out).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2012, 11:39 PM
 
Location: The Bay
6,920 posts, read 6,902,823 times
Reputation: 2947
Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
You mean how much I DO know about you.

For example, you spoke multiple untruths in that hip-hop thread, like saying conscious hip hop didn't start until the late 80s, early 90s, which the early 80s song called "The Message" would disagree with. I know you're not actually from San Francisco if I remember correctly. I know you know nothing about the East Coast or the harsh realities of it. That's where you and I differ.

You tried to talk ish on the East Coast based on your suburban looking ghettos. You tried to talk ish on neighborhoods that used to be wealthy. You never showed the rowhouses crumbling in North Philly and even in West and Southwest and elsewhere. You never showed the former Philly project towers or the bombed out neighborhoods all across the metro that make yours look like Disneyland. Most people in those neighborhoods would live in your worst ghettos in a heartbeat because sure they may have problems and violence but they aren't concrete jungles and things just flat out aren't the same out there as they are out here. Out here, people get kicked out of their dilapidated houses when they're deemed uninhabitable.

Oh, that's right, you're still butthurt over being exposed for the Source-hugging backpacker you are that loves to overlook the fact that the east coast was where gangsta rap started. What I don't get though is how you manage to talk down on west coast gangsta rap in one breath and then argue that the east coast is realer/tougher than the west coast in another. You need to lay off the Haterade, it's starting to make you contradict yourself.

The rest of your post isn't even worth addressing. All that tough talk is for the birds... you don't know a damn thing about my background or where I have and have not been. All I will say is that clearly I've traveled around the country more than you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:53 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top