Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better - Chicago or The Bay Area
Chicago 69 61.61%
Bay Area 43 38.39%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 03:42 AM

10,138 posts, read 15,928,719 times

Advertisements

CommonCensus Sports Map Project

That should clear some stuff up!

Old 06-08-2010, 04:30 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,443,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
CommonCensus Sports Map Project

That should clear some stuff up!
Lol I like the disclaimer on it: "Important: this map is highly inaccurate and should be understood only as a demonstration, and not as any kind of reliable data yet. It is based on only a few thousands of votes spread across all teams, across the country."

That's actually pretty cool though and I think its about as good as we could hope for in terms of a visual representation. So thanks for posting it!

Old 06-08-2010, 08:05 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,040,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
Right. Of course it was a mistake. And that's called an example, not sure why you couldn't understand.

Maybe you couldn't get into any of them. I've never said SF was far above Chicago, with UChic predominantly (stellar depts. found in Booth/law/physics/sociology/econ, although the last one is currently experiencing a downturn, in light of freshwater macroeconomic failure), is arguably a top five educational city. I was admitted to three of the four schools mentioned (didn't apply to one of them, since it isn't particularly strong in either area I intend to study). Can't say the same thing for you, last time I checked, you go to some school in Wisconsin. Doesn't see how that qualifies you to even debate this, geographically/academically.
Anybody can play make-believe over the internet. I can pretend like I'm a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford, and I'm transferring to MIT for my masters. I just holiday in Milwaukee to stay in touch with the peasant class.

I don't believe that you attend any of these schools, let alone got accepted to 3 of them, or that you even applied to any of them in the first place. From the way everybody on this site acts, you would think they're all a bunch globe trotting mega-millionaires. It all seems a bit strange to me that these people have so much time to spend on an internet forum.

PS, I'm not sure why you keep dissing Wisconsin either, UW was ranked highly in both USNews and ARWU.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Why do people keep saying that?
Because it's true. The poster didn't say Chicago was more diverse, just that both places were diverse. I don't think anybody, not even 18M or jman, would argue with that, let alone an actual resident of Chicago.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
But at the same time who really cares about Chicago's teams outside of that area, aside from the Bulls? Aren't the Cubs basically a laughing stock? People out here sure don't care about Chicago teams for the most part. I have one friend who's been a Bears fan since the days of "Sweetness," but other than that I don't know any, and I'm not aware of any huge following like the Cowboys or Yankees have. The Bulls of course were to basketball IMO the equivalent of what the Niners were to football back then, but other than that I don't really come across a major Chicago sports team following.

The Raiders, although widely despised, have a huge nationwide following much larger than the Bears do (to the best of my knowledge), and I think the whole "Bash Brothers" era for the A's had them pretty large in the public eye for quite some time. Giants weren't bad back then with Will Clark/Kevin Mitchell and crew too. And the Warriors, although perpetually a major let down to their fans, had their moments like the Run-TMC era and the more recent playoff run when their bandwagon was developing.

Aside from the Bulls, I don't really think of the Chicago teams as being among the most iconic in the 3 main pro sports (I don't follow hockey a whole lot so I won't even speak on that), but I don't see how the Bay's teams are any less iconic than Chicago's. From my perspective, as far as the most iconic of each areas teams go its Niners>Bulls>Raiders>Bears. I'm not just talking team victories or anything like that. I'm talking about overall popularity and accomplishments coupled with legendary athletes. I think the Niners resume, HOF roster, Pro Bowl/All Pro roster, and former overall popularity puts them at the top of the list. That's my opinion anyway.
You guys should just stop with the sport scrap. The Bay is not renowned for its sports culture like NYC, Philly, Chicago, or Boston. WGN and TBS bring the Braves and Cubs to TV sets across the U.S. The Giants and A's don't get broadcast nationally like those 2 teams do. Last year the A's and Raiders had a lot of their games blacked out due to lack of attendance, that would never happen to one of Chicago's teams.

Michael Jordan is the most famous athlete of all time and the Bulls are probably 2nd to the Yankees for all-time greatest pro sports franchises.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:35 AM

36,623 posts, read 67,123,456 times
Quote:
Why do people keep saying that?
Well, Chicago is diverse-obviously there are people there who represented basically every race and culture.

I can respect that and acknowledge that to be the case.

Even though the stats reveal the Bay Area to be a bit more diverse overall, Chicagoland is definitely no slouch and deserves its props.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:38 AM

705 posts, read 1,653,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
You guys should just stop with the sport scrap. The Bay is not renowned for its sports culture like NYC, Philly, Chicago, or Boston. WGN and TBS bring the Braves and Cubs to TV sets across the U.S. The Giants and A's don't get broadcast nationally like those 2 teams do. Last year the A's and Raiders had a lot of their games blacked out due to lack of attendance, that would never happen to one of Chicago's teams.

Michael Jordan is the most famous athlete of all time and the Bulls are probably 2nd to the Yankees for all-time greatest pro sports franchises.
True the Bay Area does not have a storied sports history, the 49ers are far superior to anything to ever come out of Chicago, Americas favorite sport is football afterall. The Giants and Cubs usually compare well with each other and so do the Sharks,Hawks. The typical fan from Illinois does not have the same amount of choice in regards to activities and entertainment, as a result watching sports is a bigger draw.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
True the Bay Area does not have a storied sports history, the 49ers are far superior to anything to ever come out of Chicago, Americas favorite sport is football afterall. The Giants and Cubs usually compare well with each other and so do the Sharks,Hawks. The typical fan from Illinois does not have the same amount of choice in regards to activities and entertainment, as a result watching sports is a bigger draw.
LOL @ you trying to have it both ways. In one sentence you say nothing in Chicago compares to the 49ers and in the next you say sports isn't a big deal because you're too busy doing outdoorsy things. The 49ers might have won more Superbowls than the Bears (although not more NFL championships), but who cares? Trophies don't make legendary sports franchises, just look at the Cubs. Conversely, teams like the Toronto Blue Jays, AZ Diamondbacks, and FL Marlins have won the World Series, yet those cities aren't considered great sports towns.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:13 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,832,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I don't see that at all, aside from the Niners I don't see what Bay Area team is as iconic as any of the Chicago teams. The Bulls and Cubs are more iconic and have a more interesting history than any of their Bay Area counterparts. People outside the Bay Area really don't care much about its teams.
Concise, and to-the-point. And very true

Old 06-08-2010, 09:25 AM

36,881 posts, read 38,781,820 times
Yea, I definitely don't see the Bay Area teams having the kind of legacy that Chicago teams have (good in terms of the Bulls, not so good for the Cubs). They're simply better known.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City