Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Arlington or Manhattan?
Arlington, VA 11 22.92%
Manhattan, NY 37 77.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 08:52 PM

4,382 posts, read 16,712,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Thats why I got more specific for you(people like you need specifics) and said the Silver Spring area of Montgomery. Silver Spring is only a small part of montgomery county.
Look up the definition of Metro. Then get back to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 08:54 PM

11,327 posts, read 20,245,100 times
Then imo:

Silver Spring > The Bronx

Old 06-03-2010, 09:04 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,579,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
I don't see how anyone who knows what they are talking about could say NYC hands down. It depends what you're looking for, but aren't like 6 of the 10 richest counties in the country in the DC area? Or like 9 of the 15 richest or something? It also has some of the best public schools and colleges in the country as well. To some people that's a big deal. Not everyone wants to live in NYC, or even DC. They want an affluent neighborhood with good schools for their children that is still close to a large city.
i think NYC wins there: morris, somerset, hunterdon counties. DC = montgomery and fairfax.

plus, NYC metro has some of the best public schools and colleges (Princeton anyone?) and an abundance of affluent neighborhoods. honestly, if these are your criteria, DC and NYC metros are about dead even.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:13 PM

27,232 posts, read 28,302,028 times
For GDP and median income per capita, DC metro area > NYC metro area. That's something significant to consider especially given that COL is less in the DC area.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:20 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,698,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Look up the definition of Metro. Then get back to me.
Lemme draw you a picture, because I realize you might be a visual learner

D.C. proper(61 sq. miles) ---------All five boroughs of NYC(303 sq. miles)
--------------------------------
--------------------------------------

= about 15 sq miles

All I'm doing is making the little one the same physical size as the big one.

Or if youd rather, we can reduce the big one down to the same size as the little one and compare DC(61 sq. miles) to Manhatten+Bronx(65 sq. miles).

No matter how we do it, the goal is ultimately to eliminate the variable of land area when comparing these two big cities.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:27 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^fixed the diagram for Radio aka Billiam

Old 06-03-2010, 10:37 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,196,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Lemme draw you a picture, because I realize you might be a visual learner

D.C. proper(61 sq. miles) ---------All five boroughs of NYC(303 sq. miles)

= about 15 sq miles

All I'm doing is making the little one the same physical size as the big one.

Or if youd rather, we can reduce the big one down to the same size as the little one and compare DC(61 sq. miles) to Manhatten+Bronx(65 sq. miles).

No matter how we do it, the goal is ultimately to eliminate the variable of land area when comparing these two big cities.

You know the more you argue with him, the stupider you sound. Why do you keep bringing up the size of DC and NYC? THEY DO NOT MATTER. The topic is about the metro, not the city. He's already told you that in his last 5 posts. A few others did, but you can't figure out how to comprehend what you're reading. So no, the land area doesn't matter because DC is a small part of the metro.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
You know the more you argue with him, the stupider you sound. Why do you keep bringing up the size of DC and NYC? THEY DO NOT MATTER. The topic is about the metro, not the city. He's already told you that in his last 5 posts. A few others did, but you can't figure out how to comprehend what you're reading. So no, the land area doesn't matter because DC is a small part of the metro.
I was tryna help y'all out, but wateva, I'ma let the the 8oolb gorilla bend y'all over.

Metro to metro, DC can't even come anywhere close, in order to make it a halfway fair comparison its gotta be DC (inner)metro vs NYC(which was originally formed as the New York metropolitan authority at the turn of the century)

Old 06-03-2010, 10:47 PM

899 posts, read 1,067,184 times
^^ Lol. You buggin'.

The thing I don't get is...It says DC Metro vs. NYC Metro....But has options as Arlington && Manhattan.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:50 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,196,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i think NYC wins there: morris, somerset, hunterdon counties. DC = montgomery and fairfax.

plus, NYC metro has some of the best public schools and colleges (Princeton anyone?) and an abundance of affluent neighborhoods. honestly, if these are your criteria, DC and NYC metros are about dead even.
Um, how do you figure? You're just making stuff up. Here's a link that proves DC has the most: America's 25 Richest Counties - 1. County: Loudoun County, Va. - Forbes.com

I think that was about 11 of the top 25 in the DC metro area. 6 of the top 10 richest were DC area too. So no, you're wrong.

As far as schools, this is by state, but it's pretty close with DC just ahead. Maryland is top in the nation with Virginia at #4. New York is #3 and New Jersey #5.

I'm not an idiot, I have heard of Princeton, but that's not the only good school in the country.

This isn't my only criteria, but in reality, it's some of the more important things to look for when you actually want to settle down and have a family. NYC is a great city, but it's not the best at everything. Especially when you compare metros.(yes killakoolaide, I said metros, not cities) Some people in this thread still don't understand the topic clearly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City