Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Arlington or Manhattan?
Arlington, VA 11 22.92%
Manhattan, NY 37 77.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 10:55 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,698,585 times

Advertisements

DC's metro is nice, but NYC's dwarfs it in every way imaginable. There is no argument here.(which is why I was trying to level the playing field for DC.)

This one, folks, is not even close, but you already know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 11:04 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,530,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
This one, folks, is not even close
Based on what criteria? Of course NYC is significantly bigger than DC, and is a far more vibrant and energetic city, with more going on. I don't see how anyone can dispute that. But those are just some of the attributes one considers when deciding on a place to live.

These polls can be so strange. No one who has the faintest clue about either city would think of comparing them--they are so incredibly different. That's why I'm not voting--it doesn't make any sense to me.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:19 PM
TT1

148 posts, read 438,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
Um, how do you figure? You're just making stuff up. Here's a link that proves DC has the most: America's 25 Richest Counties - 1. County: Loudoun County, Va. - Forbes.com
There is far more wealth in NYC metro than DC which is nothing more than a big welfare state without any true wealth creation (example: high median government produced incomes, low quantities of billioniares/top companies)

We can skew income statistics to come to whatever conclusion we like. For instance,

Highest per-capita incomes:

1. Teton County, Wyo., $132,728
2. New York, NY $120,790
3. Loving County, Texas, $99,593
4. Pitkin County, Colo., $93,465
5. Marin County, Calif., $91,483
6. Fairfield County, Conn., $81,576
7. Westchester County, N.Y., $74,878
8. San Mateo County, Calif., $71,753
9. Morris County, N.J., $71,713
10. San Francisco, Calif. $71,342

Or highest earning counties

1. New York, NY: $857,643
2. Fairfield, CT: $822,708
3. Westchester, NY: $793,134
4. Somerset, NJ: $625,869
5. Marin, CA: $624,762
6. Montgomery, MD: $567,190
7. Hunterdon, NJ: $554,015
8. Morris, NJ: $546,982
9. Nassau, NY: $538,307
10. San Francisco, CA: $523,744

Or highest earning metros;

1. New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA CSA: $481,789
2. San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA CSA: $456,092
3. Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia, DC-MD-VA-WV CSA: $414,045
4. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA CSA: $391,995
5. Boston-Worcester-Manchester, MA-RI-NH CSA $384,609
6. Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI CSA $371,391
7. Houston-Baytown-Huntsville, TX CSA: $357,461
8. Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland, PA-NJ-DE-MD CSA: $347,935
9. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville, GA-AL CSA: $347,311
10.Dallas-Fort Worth, TX CSA: $342,812

But "Median income", IMHO, is meaningless. Just need to look at HQs of the country's top companies and where millionaires/centimillionaires/billioniares reside (not just swarms of $100K year earning gub'ment workers creating high median incomes and artificially boosting statistics like in DC)

And yes, more millionaires in NYC per-capita than DC. Far more in raw numbers as well.

Metros by % of millionaires

New York City 3.6% [561,800]
San Francisco 3.4%
Boston 2.9%
Washington 2.9% [127,700]
Chicago 2.2%
Detroit 2.2%
Los Angeles 2.0%
Philadelphia 1.8%
Houston 1.5%

Imageshack - usmetrowealthindex0907.gif

So DC may be a more uniformly comfortable middle-class metro, but stands no chance against NYC when it comes to wealth.

Quote:
As far as schools, this is by state, but it's pretty close with DC just ahead. Maryland is top in the nation with Virginia at #4. New York is #3 and New Jersey #5.
You forgot Connecticut. New York metro beats DC metro when it comes to top schools.

Quote:
NYC is a great city, but it's not the best at everything. Especially when you compare metros.(yes killakoolaide, I said metros, not cities) Some people in this thread still don't understand the topic clearly.
New York Metro is certainly the largest, most powerful and most dynamic. Best is highly subjective. But from my extensive travels, NY then SF are the best metros. Followed by Boston/LA/DC/Chicago.

DC just doesn't compare to NY.

Last edited by TT1; 06-03-2010 at 11:43 PM..

Old 06-03-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
There is far more wealth in NYC metro than DC which is nothing more than an big welfare state without true wealth creation.
Brutal honesty

Old 06-03-2010, 11:32 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,196,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
DC's metro is nice, but NYC's dwarfs it in every way imaginable. There is no argument here.(which is why I was trying to level the playing field for DC.)

This one, folks, is not even close, but you already know that.
If it's not even close then why is DC only losing by a few votes. If something isn't a comparison it would be 50-0 now. I hate when people say that. You have you're right to you're own opinion, but when you say a certain place is better and no one can disagree with you, it just shows your pure ignorance. What are you like 15? You haven't made one clear argument for anything. All you say is no, it doesn't compare. If you are older than 15, then grow up. I'm done arguing with an immature kid over the internet though.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:41 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,196,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
There is far more wealth in NYC metro than DC which is nothing more than an big welfare state without any robust economic engine of wealth creation (example: high median government produced incomes, low quantities of billioniares/top HQ/Fortune 500 companies).
A welfare state? Okay. Some people know nothing about DC. Everyone thinks its a government town with nothing else there. We are all just stealing money from the country with our high paying government jobs right? Those are the only people that exist here in your minds.

There's plenty of normal, blue-collar people in DC. It's annoying when people try to tell me otherwise and they don't even live here. Especially when I know first hand since I am one. I work for the city government, not the federal. However, it's a blue-collar job where I make fairly low pay, and always will. There are plenty of people out here like me. Things aren't handed to us like people think they are either. I actually just got my job threatened and step increases possibly cut.(people don't care about fireman until they need them) This is by far one my favorite places in the country. It's unique in a way that no where else can compare.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
A welfare state? Okay. Some people know nothing about DC. Everyone thinks its a government town with nothing else there. We are all just stealing money from the country with our high paying government jobs right? Those are the only people that exist here in your minds.

There's plenty of normal, blue-collar people in DC. It's annoying when people try to tell me otherwise and they don't even live here. Especially when I know first hand since I am one. I work for the city government, not the federal. However, it's a blue-collar job where I make fairly low pay, and always will. There are plenty of people out here like me. Things aren't handed to us like people think they are either. I actually just got my job threatened and step increases possibly cut.(people don't care about fireman until they need them) This is by far one my favorite places in the country. It's unique in a way that no where else can compare.
No offense, but you sound like your from the stix, and just recently moved to DC.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:22 AM

27,233 posts, read 28,308,556 times
Well, it's not as if NYC is off-limits and a person from DC can't visit frequently to a get a fix. Especially given the high gov salaries.

I agree that NYC metro area is the best - it pretty much has it all. Having said that, the DC metro area is a very good second best alternative based on my preferences - strong economy, major capital city, large urban and suburban area, good schools and universities, high growth, great history, world-famous sites and attractions, public transport, northeast corridor location, etc. And yeah, not that far from NYC (and Baltimore and Philadelphia).

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 06-04-2010 at 08:21 AM..

Old 06-04-2010, 07:32 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,678,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
is this a serious question?

I agree. Nothing against Arlington but this seems to be an odd comparison.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:38 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,579,607 times
Quote:
Um, how do you figure? You're just making stuff up. Here's a link that proves DC has the most: America's 25 Richest Counties - 1. County: Loudoun County, Va. - Forbes.com

I think that was about 11 of the top 25 in the DC metro area. 6 of the top 10 richest were DC area too. So no, you're wrong.

As far as schools, this is by state, but it's pretty close with DC just ahead. Maryland is top in the nation with Virginia at #4. New York is #3 and New Jersey #5.

I'm not an idiot, I have heard of Princeton, but that's not the only good school in the country.

This isn't my only criteria, but in reality, it's some of the more important things to look for when you actually want to settle down and have a family. NYC is a great city, but it's not the best at everything. Especially when you compare metros.(yes killakoolaide, I said metros, not cities) Some people in this thread still don't understand the topic clearly.
if you'd stop being defensive and stop lashing out, you'd see that I made this statement: "honestly, if these are your criteria, DC and NYC metros are about dead even." and based on the criteria YOU POSTED, my statement is true. you also forgot Connecticut in top schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City