Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is a better place to live?
Northern NJ 55 58.51%
Northern VA 39 41.49%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 01:23 AM

70 posts, read 86,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
NoNJ has more rough (urban) areas than NoVa, which is almost completely suburban. NoVa is more educated and has a much more prominent professional class, whereas NoNJ has more "Old Money." NoNJ has better NYC access than NoVa has DC access. NoVa has a more prominent foreign-born population (and a more diverse one) whereas NoNJ has a more significant minority population. Hispanics and blacks significantly outnumber Asians in NoNJ, whereas Hispanics, Asians and blacks are in near equal numbers in NoVa, with blacks actually being the smallest minority. NoNJ has more prestigious universities (and more universities overall) than NoVa. NoNJ has more upscale shopping opportunities than NoVa (Shops at Riverside, Garden State Plaza, and Mall at Short Hills vs. Tysons Corner Center/Galleria). I'm equally familiar with both NoVa and NoNJ. I prefer the Urban layout of NoNJ (many walk-able downtowns served by an NJ transit station) to that of NoVa (mostly strip malls and tract housing). However, I prefer living around NoVa's more educated populace.
I would prefer living around NoNJ's wealthier population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 01:36 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,750,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Both are Yankeeland (nowadays) and pretty unpleasant places to be.

Northern NJ is a polluted, corrupt, crime-infested, miserable, yuppie-run cesspool where people walk the Earth without souls. I should know. I lived in this dump for 22 years.

Northern Virginia is also an extremely unpleasant place though. Yuppie paradise. Everything overpriced. Nasty attitudes. The faux-South.

I guess I'll take NOVA as at least it's IN VIRGINIA, which is a respectable state in its own right, but honestly, America would be better off if both regions dropped into the sea.

You seem more miserable than I am.
I've always been happy here- I'm not bitter and soulless. And I thought Brick, Edison, and Toms River are among the "safest" cities in the nation?
I can say it's corrupt though.

And NoVa, unpleasant? I know you like places like MS and all because of the southern hospitality, but you're one of the most bitter posters here.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:42 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,622,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
You seem more miserable than I am.
I live in NJ. Enough said.

Quote:
I've always been happy here- I'm not bitter and soulless.
And I'm glad that you've been able to find the silver lining in this mess. And I say that genuinely, not sarcastically. I, however, have always felt completely out of touch with the values in NJ which to me are alien. The lifestyle here is no "life" at all.

Quote:
And I thought Brick, Edison, and Toms River are among the "safest" cities in the nation?

This is a thread about North Jersey vs. NOVA.

Quote:
And NoVa, unpleasant? I know you like places like MS and all because of the southern hospitality, but you're one of the most bitter posters here.
I've found Arlington, Alexandria, D.C. itself, and the entire D.C. metro area in both Virginia and Maryland to be extremely unpleasant - A level of rudeness I've only ever found in New Jersey, NYC, and Los Angeles.

What does my liking of a state worthy of respect (Mississippi) have to do with my dislike of a state that's worthy of none (New Jersey)?

Old 10-26-2010, 02:32 AM

929 posts, read 1,889,161 times
Quote:
I would prefer living around NoNJ's wealthier population.
The median household income and per capita incomes of NoVa are MUCH higher than those of NoNJ.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:07 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,239,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Both are Yankeeland (nowadays) and pretty unpleasant places to be.

Northern NJ is a polluted, corrupt, crime-infested, miserable, yuppie-run cesspool where people walk the Earth without souls. I should know. I lived in this dump for 22 years.

Northern Virginia is also an extremely unpleasant place though. Yuppie paradise. Everything overpriced. Nasty attitudes. The faux-South.

I guess I'll take NOVA as at least it's IN VIRGINIA, which is a respectable state in its own right, but honestly, America would be better off if both regions dropped into the sea.
Most people that I know in NJ walk the Earth with souls...

Old 10-26-2010, 11:21 AM

27,213 posts, read 28,295,642 times
Northern Virginia is nice and all, as it's right next to Washington, D.C. But there's nothing in the U.S. that's going to beat living in the NYC metro area, if you can afford to live well.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:58 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,239,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
The median household income and per capita incomes of NoVa are MUCH higher than those of NoNJ.
Are you sure? Stats?? Northern NJ is one of the wealthiest regions in the US.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:41 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,750,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Are you sure? Stats?? Northern NJ is one of the wealthiest regions in the US.
I think he's referring to Loudoun and Fairfax Conties- They're arguably 2 of the wealthiest counties in the nation.
Prince William, Stafford, and Arlington counties are no slouch either

However,
Morris, Somerset, Hunterdon and Bergen Counties are among the wealthiest counties in the nation as well.
It really is a close race, but NoVa does get the slight edge.

NJ as a whole VS VA as a whole is a different story.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:44 PM

70 posts, read 86,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I think he's referring to Loudoun and Fairfax Conties- They're arguably 2 of the wealthiest counties in the nation.
Prince William, Stafford, and Arlington counties are no slouch either

However,
Morris, Somerset, Hunterdon and Bergen Counties are among the wealthiest counties in the nation as well.
It really is a close race, but NoVa does get the slight edge.

NJ as a whole VS VA as a whole is a different story.
No they're not.

The only way to gauge wealth is by looking at IRS statistics for top earners.

Wealthiest by top 5% Household Income:

1. New York, NY: $857,643
2. Fairfield, CT: $822,708
3. Westchester, NY: $793,134
4. Somerset, NJ: $625,869
5. Marin, CA: $624,762
6. Montgomery, MD: $567,190
7. Hunterdon, NJ: $554,015
8. Morris, NJ: $546,982
9. Nassau, NY: $538,307
10. San Francisco, CA: $523,744

The Wealth Miser Web Log is host to Mrs. Buttons and Dow Jane, value commentators on the world of investment.'

Where is Virginia. I don't see Virginia.

And no, when it comes to "per capita income" (since the poster mentioned per capita), NNJ is still ahead of NoVa.

Per Capita Income

1 Teton, Wyoming $132,728
2 New York, New York $120,790
3 Loving, Texas $99,593
4 Pitkin, Colorado $93,465
5 Marin, California $91,483
6 Fairfield, Connecticut $81,576
7 Westchester, New York $74,878
8 San Mateo, California $71,753
9 Morris, New Jersey $71,713
10 San Francisco, California $71,342

New Jersey also has more millionaires than VA.

The only where VA shines is when it comes to "median income", which is a dumb way to calculate wealth.

NoVa may be rich (I don't know), but it doesn't appear to be NNJ rich. So yes, if one prefers to live around a wealthier group of people, picking a suburb Northern New Jersey is a better bet.

Last edited by 10013; 10-26-2010 at 05:53 PM..

Old 10-26-2010, 10:45 PM

929 posts, read 1,889,161 times
Here is the statement that I made:
Quote:

I'll get to defending it tomorrow...I'm feeling pretty sleepy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City