U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is a better place to live?
Northern NJ 55 58.51%
Northern VA 39 41.49%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2010, 06:20 PM

529 posts, read 974,165 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,
I just recently moved from the NJ suburbs of nyc to the va suburbs of DC, and I noticed something: Northern VA is alot like northern NJ!

For Example:

They are both across the river from their host city (Hudson vs. Potomac)

they are both in a different state from the host city

They are both quite diverse: an example would be the korean town in NJ is the Fort Lee area, and the korean town in VA is Annandale

They both have little cities that are surrounded by suburbs:
NJ:
Newark
Paterson
JC
Elizabeth

VA:
Arlington (can count a few times over cuz of its multiple downtowns)
Alexandria
Fairfax & falls church

They both include extremely affluent towns (alpine, saddle river NJ), (mclean, ashburn VA)

They both have some great universities
NJ:
Steven's
princeton
rutgers
montclair state
seton hall

VA:
GMU
Vtech & UVA have presences

They both also have great companies and highly educated workforces.

Some advantages NoVa has over NJ: more military bases, close to nations capital, better weather, slightly cheaper standard of living, faster growth (hence it looks nicer and newer overall, in my opinion)

Some advantages NJ has over NoVa: proximity to the beach, close to nation's largest city, more diverse & pretty landscape (in my opinion), better public transportation

So I just wanted to see what you guys thought: which is a better place to live?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 09:21 PM

3,732 posts, read 6,770,565 times
I'm going to be totally honest, I picked North Jersey because thats where I was born and raised so that was pretty biased on my behalf lol.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:03 PM

6,131 posts, read 15,104,098 times
I've spent most of my life in these two states and I have to go with NNJ. I like many parts of VA, but Nova is just horrible IMO. The traffic, the poor land development pattern, the traffic, the shopping centers, the wal-marts, the traffic. For being a far more populous area, I feel NNJ has less traffic congestion, cuter towns (and some ugly ones too), closer to the shore. Both have excellent mountain areas nearby.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:29 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,255,364 times
I've been to both. Personally, I prefer the cities of Virginia to the ones of NJ, but I prefer the suburbs and rural aspects of NJ to Virginia because of the mass transit options, manner of development, food/diners, and access to the beach.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:50 PM
TT1

149 posts, read 375,087 times
NNJ because it's a suburb of America's premier city.

NoVa is a suburb of DC.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:55 PM

182 posts, read 457,353 times
Even though I love living in Arlington, I'm voting for NNJ because of the better food, better transit, and it being next to a huge/amazing city.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:42 PM

529 posts, read 974,165 times
Yeah its difficult to determine: I love the professional culture in northern VA. everyone seems very career driven and there is a huge young & single crowd especially around arlington, etc.

However, they dont seem to know how to have fun! in NJ the beach and the city (nyc) is always the place to go, its never a dull time.

The transit in NNJ is definitely better though, cant escape that....

Old 06-04-2010, 08:27 PM

4,383 posts, read 14,850,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I've spent most of my life in these two states and I have to go with NNJ. I like many parts of VA, but Nova is just horrible IMO. The traffic, the poor land development pattern, the traffic, the shopping centers, the wal-marts, the traffic. For being a far more populous area, I feel NNJ has less traffic congestion, cuter towns (and some ugly ones too), closer to the shore. Both have excellent mountain areas nearby.
Agreed. On top of that, NoNJ has some gorgeous cities with some stunning architecture while NoVa has only oldtown alexandria, which is very small but also very pretty. Maybe a few dashes here and there of nice older architecture, but as a whole, it is, simply put, ugly.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:38 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,373,498 times
NNJ.

NoVa is nice and all, but it's obvious which region offers more.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:59 PM

31,392 posts, read 51,913,734 times
Northern NJ for me.

And not just because I live there.

Northern NJ is one of the most productive regions in the country. The economy is incredibly diversified, the population is from all over the world and is so diverse, demographically varied, rich, poor, black, white, yellow, brown, etc...sorta sounds like California...yikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City