Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 05:32 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,935,680 times

Advertisements

Both are great IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 12:09 AM

5 posts, read 4,841 times
I actually went to college in SF so having an easy transition from suburbia to suburbia doesn't matter. I loved the urbanness of SF and its my dream to live in NYC, I just wasn't sure if its the right thing to do and risk having money be very tight since I have a complete family.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:38 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,146,662 times
^ If your worried about money being tight, then IT IS going to be tight. To be honest also, the Tri-State area is like one of the worst places in the country to be dealing with tight money so your better off with Austin then, you'll be able to stretch your money longer.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:18 AM

10,138 posts, read 15,928,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner123 View Post
I actually went to college in SF so having an easy transition from suburbia to suburbia doesn't matter. I loved the urbanness of SF and its my dream to live in NYC, I just wasn't sure if its the right thing to do and risk having money be very tight since I have a complete family.
A good alternative can be to live in Austin for a few years, wait for an economic recovery and always keep your resume out to places in NYC area, and the chance you get a solid job, secure job, and the economy is at a stable length, go for NYC then.

Would you really want to risk anything right now? Not saying it's a risk, but would you place any uncertainty on living in NYC right now.

You can always catch up to your dream after a few years of savings (Austin is good for that) and move on out to NYC. Your time in Austin would only be temporary.

That's what I would do if I wanted to live in NYC in these times, IMHO. Others can do it differently, and there's so many different ways to look at things. Mines certainly not the best way, but it's a less risky way.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:34 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,696,926 times
Go with North Jersey.

Remember Austin's in texass

Old 06-07-2010, 09:30 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,166,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
The ones recommending Austin are from Texas. That says a lot. Go with NJ, you can't go wrong with it. Great schools and close to NYC and Philly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Big difference between the two. My husband got a job offer in both Houston and Austin when he was out of work after 9-11. Went to visit both. I have been both places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Go with North Jersey.

I do find it ironic that people from New York and a few other big tourist cities complain on C-D about how tourist or people who have never been to NYC act like they "know" the city and yet you see comments like these which former New Yorkers do the EXACT same thing to other cities base assumptions and misinformation. "Oh I went to Austin that one time 9 years ago and it's so overrated." "Well, Austin is in Texas so it must be uber conservative and unexcepting of different people."

Anyways, @ the OP, I agree with a previous poster which said you would probably be happy with either city. If you go to NJ, your right by NYC and you have a much better chance of running into a few connections that might be able to land you that high paying job in New York that your looking for. BUT Austin is a great place to go to save money while your trying to get a job in New York. You will also find that it has the liberal (although the Austin liberals are much more moderate then in SF), open minded, creative, educated, and cultural epicenter environment that your looking for, as well as a great family environment (I know because I spent part of my childhood in Austin). It's also a much bigger city then Hoboken and growing rapidly, so I would assume you would be able to build a better resume and portfolio in Austin which could help you land that NYC job, but I could be wrong. In addition, unless things have changed in past few years, Austin has a fantastic public school system and from what I understand, is much better then the other big Texas cities on average. Of course, if they don't meet your standards, you might be able to afford private with all that money your saving. Anyways, all that to say, I think you've done your homework and would be happy in either city. If your leaning toward NJ, I'm sure there are tons of families doing just fine on that kind of salary, so I say go for it.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:02 PM

965 posts, read 1,873,714 times
Austin is a great city with great people, but it is in Texas. PLEASE keep that in mind.

Your money will go further in Austin than it will in North Jersey. Maybe then you can save up enough money to move or visit somewhere more worth going to.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:33 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,028,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Go with North Jersey.

As if New Jersey is paradise.....nothing better than living in the armpit of America.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:00 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,935,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
As if New Jersey is paradise.....nothing better than living in the armpit of America.
Awww........... Hurt feelings?

Old 06-07-2010, 02:01 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,028,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Awww........... Hurt feelings?
A little......was it that obvious??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City