Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 01:53 AM

5 posts, read 4,841 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Los Angeles. I'm an urban planner. I have two children, 11 and 13 so schools are important. Being somewhere with plenty to do within walking distance, a short drive, or a simple public transportation is extremely important for us. My wife and I are a young couple so we enjoy the young, hip neighborhoods and we want our kids to be well cultured. They enjoy walking with us to neighborhood shopping and dining areas as well.

Our combined income will be about $120k in Austin and $140k in Hoboken. We've visited both cities, and both definitely have their respective positive and negative aspects. On that income, with 2 kids, and hopefully living somewhere urban or close to an urban area, what would you recommend? We would prefer to be no more than 20 minutes away from all the action by car or PT.

Thank you very much, and if you have any neighborhood suggestions we'd be glad to hear them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 02:20 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,146,662 times
To be honest, I am a Garden Stater, but New Jersey is pretty expensive. If you have the money it's a great place especially Hoboken. Hoboken is nice and urban with lots to do and your right across the river from New York City. I really don't know much about Austin so I can't help you with that. All in all, I'd still pick New Jersey but I have a bias here because like I said I'm from New Jersey. Hope I helped a little.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:15 AM

10,138 posts, read 15,928,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner123 View Post
I currently live in Los Angeles. I'm an urban planner. I have two children, 11 and 13 so schools are important. Being somewhere with plenty to do within walking distance, a short drive, or a simple public transportation is extremely important for us. My wife and I are a young couple so we enjoy the young, hip neighborhoods and we want our kids to be well cultured. They enjoy walking with us to neighborhood shopping and dining areas as well.

Our combined income will be about $120k in Austin and $140k in Hoboken. We've visited both cities, and both definitely have their respective positive and negative aspects. On that income, with 2 kids, and hopefully living somewhere urban or close to an urban area, what would you recommend? We would prefer to be no more than 20 minutes away from all the action by car or PT.

Thank you very much, and if you have any neighborhood suggestions we'd be glad to hear them
I'm going to respond in a different way. Check your messages.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:06 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,631,181 times
If stretching your dollar is most important go to Austin.

If not, NNJ.

There is really no contest at all when it comes to money.

You will be nickel and dimed to death living in New Jersey.

Your family of four will live very well on that salary in Austin, and your wife can stay home with the kids if she chooses.

In New Jersey it will be a different story.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:15 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,591,902 times
That's a good salary to live in NJ. In NJ you're near the best city to study urban planning. Also, NJ schools are much better than TX. NJ has consistantly ranked the best state for education for a while now. It's usually in the top 3.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:19 PM

9,328 posts, read 20,663,923 times
I am a New Jersey native and love my home state, but rationally, I would have to go with Austin. It makes much more financial sense to relocate there.

I think Neotextist has a very good take here. If stretching your money is NOT a priority, and if it isn't, I envy you, then I would relocate to Hoboken. But I haven't met anyone yet with that luxury. Since you are coming from Los Angeles, you probably aren't bound by the constraints of family and friends, so that isn't a factor, either.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:31 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,166,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner123 View Post

Well, the only urban areas in Austin are downtown and South Congress, which although the majority of Austin is not very walkable, those areas are. Also, downtown Austin and the South Congress area are very hip neighborhoods at the hart of the Austin music scene. I'm not sure about prices though, but your probably going to want to look some where close to 6th Street, Congress Ave, or Guadalupe (although, I've always thought of Guadalupe as being more for college kids). Honestly, I have no idea if any of those neighborhoods are in your price range, but I know a lot of musicians, filmmakers and artist live around downtown or SoCo so I'm sure you can find something. Anyways, I hoped that helped.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:53 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,969,490 times
Austin is largely suburban in nature.

Downtown is quite small though there is a lot to do. A lot of development downtown, but still a ton of surface parking lots around.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:14 PM
TT1

148 posts, read 438,324 times
NNJ...no competition whatsoever.

At the end of the month, sure you may save a few extra bucks, but you'll still be in the middle of Texas. In Austin. As opposed to New York City, an urban planers dream.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:47 AM

5 posts, read 4,841 times
I don't really know what expenses are like in new Jersey though. With taxes and the generally higher COL, will we stbe struggling more financially in Hoboken or other NNJ areas even with $20k more per year?

And thanks wpmeads, I'll be sure to check out those neighborhoods in Austin. What areas of NNJ are still safe but somewhat urban that aren't as expensive as Hoboken? I've heard its a great place to live now, which also means expensive. Some people say that influence is starting to spread into Jersey City now too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City