Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 01:41 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,054,414 times

Advertisements

Well as others have said, Chicago is far larger in area.

There are a lot of places on the southwest and northwest side of Chicago that are going to have a lot less random foot traffic than the compact city of San Fran.

If you carve out a similar 48 square miles from the South Loop, up to the North Side of the city and over west a few miles - I believe it's something like 22,000 people per square mile. That area is going to have the highest degree of foot traffic.

The Chicago loop has around 750,000 people on an average workday between office workers, the 80,000 university/college students/staff, retail workers, visitors, etc. Throw in the attached North Michigan Ave areas and it's around 1,000,000 people per day. Obviously most of those don't drive as there's not enough road space. The L radiates from the loop with around 600,000 passengers a day, and Metra radiates as well with around 330,000 passengers. Of course not all of those people are going downtown, but a great many are. I work downtown, and when I walk the area during the day I'm still amazed at the sheer number of people smashed into that small area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 03:00 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,957,937 times
I too would have to agree with the above. The question to this thread was which has 'more' people on the streets in 'total sum' not about tourists or what block area has more density. New Orleans can have a lot of tourists during the Madi Gras week in the dense packed French Quarter but it doesn't happen everyday. You would have to include everything in the city. Chicago actually overlaps San Francisco by many more square miles of population and a network of street lined sidewalks. Chicago also having the 2nd largest public transit system in the entire country you would have to have 'more' people on the city streets to use it. The daily ridership usage numbers speak larger volumes. You could actually fit SF inside Chicago along with a few more cities to boot. Philadelphia would be a more fair comparison to SF in this regard.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:39 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,054,414 times
^ you could actually fit almost 5 San Fran's in Chicago's footprint. Chicago has a LOT of vacant land down on the south side though that's never been developed, and O'hare which is many square miles though.

I think they're just two different places. San Fran is easily my second favorite place in the country after Chicago. San Fran is smaller, but has a really awesome pedestrian culture. Chicago does in areas, but in the end they're just differnet places. Chicago has a ton of outlying neighborhoods where you're going to have quite a bit less foot traffic than in San Fran.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:50 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,580,544 times
I've spent time in Chicago on a few occassions, and it was damn busy every single time.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:52 PM

4,671 posts, read 7,340,689 times
Honestly, does it even matter? Both cities have a lot of foot traffic, enough said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City