Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is Best for Me?
Atlanta 35 33.33%
Charlotte 10 9.52%
Dallas 33 31.43%
Houston 20 19.05%
Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill 7 6.67%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 10:39 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,222,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Texas actually has lots of Floridians as well.
They do, but the GA-FL connections are pretty strong. I didn't realize how strong until I moved here. The census numbers indicate that GA gets the majority of their out-of-state relocation from New York and Florida.

However, a lot of people don't realize how strong the connections are between the Lone Star State and the Sunshine State, but I still say that Texas is a lot more popular with Californians than Floridians for relocation based on the data I've seen. The 2010 census should be interesting to see regardng this.

Oh yeah, and we have Publix When they first expanded outside of Florida in 1991, obviously geography made Georgia a logical choice, but the large number of relocated Floridians were very happy, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 10:54 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,935,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
They do, but the GA-FL connections are pretty strong. I didn't realize how strong until I moved here. The census numbers indicate that GA gets the majority of their out-of-state relocation from New York and Florida.

However, a lot of people don't realize how strong the connections are between the Lone Star State and the Sunshine State, but I still say that Texas is a lot more popular with Californians than Floridians for relocation based on the data I've seen. The 2010 census should be interesting to see regardng this.

Oh yeah, and we have Publix When they first expanded outside of Florida in 1991, obviously geography made Georgia a logical choice, but the large number of relocated Floridians were very happy, LOL.
Similar to us saying how we're about to get an In-N-Out Burger. You always make really good points grindin.

I would still like to see a Trader Joes though, it's the only grocery store I miss that Chicago has that Houston does not.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:01 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,789,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Texas actually has lots of Floridians as well.
I see more Floridian license place than any other state in Texas. Floridians definitely get around and love traveling.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:24 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,149,959 times
Lol, I see a lot of California license plates in Florida. That is one hell of a drive.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:37 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,802,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
I see more Floridian license place than any other state in Texas. Floridians definitely get around and love traveling.
Yep. A HUGE portion of the out of state license plates i see in texas are from the southeastern states (and i see new york license plates every now and then). but i honestly can't even remember the last time i saw a california plate, unless i wasn't paying attention

Old 06-05-2010, 11:45 PM

166 posts, read 609,877 times
I would LOVE to live in an area with a large Puerto Rican population. I was raised to eat rice and beans and love salsa music. That being said, the areas with the largest concentrations of Puerto Ricans in the U.S. is mostly in the Northeast and Midwest (mainly Chicago) and those communities tend to be very low-income and have high crime. The only area, ironically, that tends to have a strong presence of middle class Ricans is Florida.

So basically, I've given up on every living in an area where I don't get confused for being a Mexican.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:48 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,935,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeboy25 View Post
I would LOVE to live in an area with a large Puerto Rican population. I was raised to eat rice and beans and love salsa music. That being said, the areas with the largest concentrations of Puerto Ricans in the U.S. is mostly in the Northeast and Midwest (mainly Chicago) and those communities tend to be very low-income and have high crime. The only area, ironically, that tends to have a strong presence of middle class Ricans is Florida.

So basically, I've given up on every living in an area where I don't get confused for being a Mexican.
Dallas/Fort Worth

Old 06-06-2010, 12:29 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,802,913 times
Quote:

well none of these cities really have a "large" puerto rican population, but of the three, i'm pretty sure houston has the largest. but that isn't saying much as houston is so huge and integrated, so the puerto rican community is likely spread out all over the metro

but add that to the fact that houston's latino population is remarkably diverse; while mostly mexican immigrants, you also have a lot of salvadorans, spanish, guatemalans, cubans and dominicans i believe. amongst others, of course

Old 06-06-2010, 12:38 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,258,914 times
Quote:

Charlotte has a nice scene for Puerto Ricans and our Hispanic/Latin community is growing. As an NC native for 22 years, for about 90% of my life I consider myself certified to talk about Charlotte and Raleigh since I have lived in both.

Raleigh-Durham is known as the Triangle and it is a very well educated area. It is the smallest metro in this poll and definitely feels like it. For both NC metros you mentioned you will need a car, although Charlotte has way better public transportation. Raleigh is probably more affordable, Charlotte os increasing taxes so it can support the growth. Not a big deal to me cuz I don't mind taxes, you need them for services, but something you may want to consider.

The NC metros are smaller, therefore they lack the super urban ammenities of your other choices. However, that could aso be their advantages. Neither will have as much traffic, but don't be mistaken traffic is there.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:25 AM

166 posts, read 609,877 times
Traffic is probably the main knock against me choosing Atlanta. It's ridiculous. I know they have public transportation in the city, but from what I hear, it is very limited to certain areas (granted the South as a whole has very poor public transportation).

The main reason I put Charlotte and the Research Triangle in the discussion is because of their rapidly growing population as well as their location. While my parents will likely be living in Florida (more likely central Florida near Orlando) and I have A LOT of family back up in New Jersey. I've lived in Tennessee since 1993 and I have visited New Jersey almost every single year since my family moved to TN, so NC is a really short drive to NJ compared to where I lived in TN (which was about a 15-16 hour drive). I have an aunt who lives just outside of Charlotte and I'm hoping to visit her in October so I can get a feel of the Charlotte area. I also want to go and visit Raleigh/Durham to get a feel for the area as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City