Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is Best for Me?
Atlanta 35 33.33%
Charlotte 10 9.52%
Dallas 33 31.43%
Houston 20 19.05%
Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill 7 6.67%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 12:27 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,380,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
It's funny how the Atlanta video says A city of the New Millenium, but all you see is massive freeways cutting through downtown.
Cut that artery and watch Atlanta's traffic become paralyzed. Houston and Dallas don't have their eggs in one basket around their downtowns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 11:12 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,782,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeboy25 View Post
For the longest time, I wanted to live in a HUGE city like New York and Chicago. For starters I have family in both areas (more in the New York area) and like the world, international cities that both are. However, the cost of living in both cities (especially New York) is astronomically high and competition for any type of well-paying job is tough. So, I think the best bet would be to go and live in a major city in the South, considering that I could get some kind of city living but still have a relatively low cost of living.
As for cost of living, I can understand your concerns about NYC, but Chicago has a relatively reasonable cost of living for the size city that it is. I'm actually going to recommend that you give the Windy City a good look, because you're going to have competition for good-paying jobs in the Southern cities, too. Philly is also a large, urban city with a reasonable cost of living.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:46 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,380,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
As for cost of living, I can understand your concerns about NYC, but Chicago has a relatively reasonable cost of living for the size city that it is. I'm actually going to recommend that you give the Windy City a good look, because you're going to have competition for good-paying jobs in the Southern cities, too. Philly is also a large, urban city with a reasonable cost of living.
I'll second that suggestion too. Chicago isn't the second most expensive COL, that's S.F.

Here's the list (starting from the highest COL):
  1. N.Y.C.
  2. S.F.
  3. L.A.
  4. D.C.
  5. Chicago

Obama is paying a bit more for family expenses these days.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:51 AM

166 posts, read 609,930 times
Chicago is always in the back of my mind for living. I actually have three grown cousins who I'm fairly close who all live throughout the metro area. The youngest one just moved to McKinley Park a few years ago with her husband.

As for Philly, I am actually quite familiar with Philly as my hometown (Trenton) is only a 30 minute drive north and have visited the "City of Brotherly Love" many times. However, one thing that I don't like about Philly is outside of Center City and Society Hill, I think most of the city loves kind of trashy. Even the middle-class areas in the city look rough around the edges. When I visited the North Side of Chicago, I found most of the area well-kept and maintained. Philly sure as hell ain't like that.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:24 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,223,731 times
Chicago is one of the cheaper major cities in the country (especially compared to the coasts). It's not as cheap as the South, but it's cheaper than LA/SF/NYC/DC. I'd say that it's worth a try.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:55 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,260,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Chicago is one of the cheaper major cities in the country (especially compared to the coasts). It's not as cheap as the South, but it's cheaper than LA/SF/NYC/DC. I'd say that it's worth a try.
Wow, if that's the case, there would really be no competition between the Southern elites and Chicago.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:25 PM

Just out of curiosity, which city do you think of the 5 has the best singles scene?

Old 06-08-2010, 12:17 AM

10,138 posts, read 15,935,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeboy25 View Post
Just out of curiosity, which city do you think of the 5 has the best singles scene?
Out of the Southern options you gave us or including Chicago?
Chicago is definitely worth a try. It's a great city overall.

Atlanta I would say has the best out of the rest. I know Houston and Dallas are good, but I know Atlanta has it in that department.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:55 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,038,622 times
I hate to sound like a " troll" but i am keeping it real. I have lived in Charlotte, Atlanta , new york and Houston. To be honest with you as far as amenities and ' big- city" options for leisure and entertainment, shopping, etc.... Charlotte is right up there with Houston,Dallas, Atlanta, albeit to alittle less degree strictly because of the size of the metro population with Cahrlotte being clost to 3 million and the other afore mentioned cities being at between 5 and 6 million people. profeesional sports( nba, nfl, nascar) theme parks, cultural scenes(opera,ballet, poetry, music, concerts can all be found in Charlotte as well. Don't forget that Charlotte also has the 3rd largest trasnportation system in the souteast(light rail, trolleys, and buses 24/7).

Old 06-08-2010, 10:42 AM

I'm definitely giving some thought to Chicago after many of the responses I've gotten on the forum. One thing that is true about Atlanta, Houston, Dallas and a lot of other southern cities is that their lack of density makes them feel more suburban than an actual city.

I've been looking up at apartments.com and find that I can get a decent studio for $1,100 in a not-so-bad neighborhood in Chicago. Granted I can get a 1-bedroom for as cheap at $700 in a nice area of Texas's two cities and Atlanta. I found some as a cheap at $500 in Charlotte and the Triangle area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City