Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best downtown in Florida
Miami 35 55.56%
Tampa 7 11.11%
Orlando 5 7.94%
Jacksonville 2 3.17%
St. Pete 7 11.11%
Ft. Lauderdale 6 9.52%
Tallahassee 1 1.59%
Daytona Beach 0 0%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 10:54 AM

1,416 posts, read 3,195,846 times

Advertisements

He said rank. So In Order

Tampa
Ft.Lauderdale
Miami
Orlando
St. Petersburg
Jacksonville
Daytona Beach
Tallahassee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 12:03 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,027,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
i'm not trying to, but the fact remains that Gainesville is a much more 1-D city compared to places like Miami and Orlando, and that 1-D is being a college town. It lacks a great airport, the restaurants, the shopping etc. of these bigger cities.
What does restaurants, shopping, or airport have to do with downtown? There are no restaurants in downtown Orlando sans a pizza shop and a daytime cantina that turns into a club at night... What are you even talking about?

We're discussing downtowns to me that is the social atmosphere not the airport. And neither Orlando or Miami has an airport in downtown..

This is a 1 Dimensional Ranking thread. It didn't ask rank these cities. It asked rank these downtowns.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:22 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,372,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Gainesville has the best lounge scene, bars, and social scene in general (not as good as Miami but close when cost is taken into account and accessibility). One of my closest friends went back for her Master's there at the moment. Its got the best college football and basketball. It has a huge live music scene. And most of the scene is very easy to get to and at least once you're there you can walk between bars, lounges, and clubs. Same thing with underground arts which it also has a lot of.

What's not to like?

Gainesville was ranked #1 best place to start a band by Blender Magazine in 2008 The Best List 2008: Travel - Blender (http://www.blender.com/guide/61220/thebestlist2008travel.html - broken link)
Gainesville was ranked #1 best place live by the NY Times in 2007 http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/06/re...6cov.html?_r=1
Gainesville was listed one of the 9 best places to Live and Play (unranked list) by National Geographic Best Places to Live '07 - National Geographic Adventure Magazine
Gainesville is the only city in the Nation to achieve the Gold Well City award by the Wellness Council of America WELCOA | Wellness Councils of America the first city to earn it in 2003 and thus far still the only city to have it.

And I believe the correct phrase is "you never cease to amaze me..."

lmao please.... especially @ lounge scene.

I agree with everything chop chop said... I've been to Gainesville plenty of times. Even Tallahassee is better as far as downtowns go, and its barely worth mentioning.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:58 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,639,175 times
Quote:
What does restaurants, shopping, or airport have to do with downtown? There are no restaurants in downtown Orlando sans a pizza shop and a daytime cantina that turns into a club at night... What are you even talking about?

We're discussing downtowns to me that is the social atmosphere not the airport. And neither Orlando or Miami has an airport in downtown..

This is a 1 Dimensional Ranking thread. It didn't ask rank these cities. It asked rank these downtowns.
There are no restaurants in downtown Orlando?

Old 06-06-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gls2010 View Post
there are no restaurants in downtown orlando?

yes there are.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:17 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,639,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
yes there are.
Thats what I thought. Cause I'm pretty sure that place that I ate at a few months ago in downtown Orlando was a restaurant...

Old 06-06-2010, 01:19 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,212,974 times
Quote:
What does restaurants, shopping, or airport have to do with downtown?
Restaurants and shopping are an important part of any downtown IMO

and as for downtown restaurants in Orlando:

Downtown Orlando Restaurants: Orlando DiningGuide

Quote:
well Orlando technically does: Orlando Executive Airport (ORL) - Home Page

Quote:
It asked rank these downtowns.
Well your post didn't stick to just downtown:

Quote:
Gainesville has the best lounge scene, bars, and social scene in general (not as good as Miami but close when cost is taken into account and accessibility). One of my closest friends went back for her Master's there at the moment. Its got the best college football and basketball. It has a huge live music scene. And most of the scene is very easy to get to and at least once you're there you can walk between bars, lounges, and clubs. Same thing with underground arts which it also has a lot of.
One of the best spots for live music when I was in Gainesville wasn't even in downtown (although it's pretty darn close). Basketball is in the o'connell center and football is in BHG stadium, neither of which is in downtown. The Amway arena is much closer to Orlando's downtown. There's quite a few bars near campus that are classic that I wouldn't consider part of Gainesville's downtown (Grog House, swamp etc.)

Last edited by chopchop0; 06-06-2010 at 01:54 PM..

Old 06-06-2010, 01:40 PM

53 posts, read 143,681 times
Miami for sure.. I had great time in Orlando though, not going to lie.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Restaurants and shopping are an important part of any downtown IMO

and as for downtown restaurants in Orlando:

Downtown Orlando Restaurants: Orlando DiningGuide

well Orlando technically does: Orlando Executive Airport (ORL) - Home Page

Well your post didn't stick to just downtown:

One of the best spots for live music when I was in Gainesville wasn't even in downtown (although it's pretty darn close). Basketball is in the o'connell center and football is in BHG stadium, both of which aren't in downtown. The Amway arena is probably closer to Orlando's downtown. There's quite a few bars near campus that are classic that I wouldn't consider part of downtown (Grog House, swamp etc.)
Amway arena is in downtown.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Thats what I thought. Cause I'm pretty sure that place that I ate at a few months ago in downtown Orlando was a restaurant...

LOL There are, especially near Lake Eola and on orange Avenue. I assume he only though downtown is where the buildings were as that one poster said the same about Amway Arena being close to downtown when it is downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City