Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 12:33 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times

Advertisements

Pittsburgh-Cleveland-Milwaukee

3 medium-large rust belt cities with large populations of former immigrants from eastern and southern Europe

Denver-Salt Lake City

Two isolated, Rocky Mountain cities with spectacular scenery and great skiing nearby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 12:46 AM

489 posts, read 1,320,020 times
Los Angeles - Las Vegas

both are modern Western cities
both have good nightlife scenes
both are caught up with image- looks and material possessions
both attract many transplants from around the country
both are entertainment meccas
both have large Hispanic populations
both have a car culture rather than emphasis on public transit
both are places that conservatives see as unappealing and sinful (the far left liberal mindset of many Angelenos vs. the "anything goes" mindset of many Las Vegans)
both hit very hard by the foreclosure crisis and other economic problems

Old 06-06-2010, 12:59 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,506,114 times
Hartford, CT and Springfield, MA are considered twin cities. They share the same airport, their region's economies are "closely tied", and they're only 25 miles apart. Also, Hartford is outside of New York's influence, while Springfield is beyond Boston's. They're both in the farther interior of their state's, free-er from the outside influence of the two major regional cities in the area who have a strong connection of their own. Oh, and I forgot, they both sit on I-91, duh.

A good runner up for Hartford's "brother" city could be New Haven, CT.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:20 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,583,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
The closest city to Atlanta is Dallas, Houston is a bit different. All three are beginning to distinguish themselves from one another. Dallas is very similar to Houston, and Dallas is very similar to Atlanta, but Houston does not share as much with Atlanta as Dallas does.

Is this making sense? Like the thing I'm trying to say.

It's like this:

Houston- Dallas----------
---------Dallas- Atlanta

Dallas is a bit of the middle ground between Houston and Atlanta. Like they've all got similarities but two are similar to each other (Houston-Dallas) & (Dallas- Atlanta) but not all three can be very similar to each other, IMHO.
Ive always felt that Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston were siblings. Houston is the oldest and most straight-arrow. Atlanta is the baby and the wild-child. Dallas is the middle and caught in between. It can relate to both even if the others cant relate to each other.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:23 AM

10,138 posts, read 15,928,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Ive always felt that Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston were siblings. Houston is the oldest and most straight-arrow. Atlanta is the baby and the wild-child. Dallas is the middle and caught in between. It can relate to both even if the others cant relate to each other.
Yeah I know what you mean. But dude, I really feel that there's something there that's separating Houston and Atlanta. Like I don't know exactly what it is, or how to say it. But it seems like Atlanta and Dallas have a stronger connection than Houston and Atlanta. I don't have any proof for what I'm saying but I have no idea. Maybe it's just a theory of mine.
I want to look more into that.

But yeah otherwise I agree, they really are like siblings, even growing up together. I would say Dallas and Atlanta are twins (not identical) and Houston is either just a few years older/younger (which ever one).

Old 06-06-2010, 09:20 AM

27,213 posts, read 28,295,642 times
DC and Baltimore is the obvious one. However, DC and NYC is more interesting. There are increasingly stronger connections between the federal government and Wall Street firms. Major law firms have common offices in both cities. (DC has the most lawyers per capita in the U.S.) The number of NYC transplants in the DC area seem to have increased from what I can tell. Top museums, art galleries, cathedrals, iconic sites, etc., are in NYC and DC. So, I think there's an argument to be made about the strength of connection between the 2 cities.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 06-06-2010 at 09:39 AM..

Old 06-06-2010, 09:57 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,028,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Atlanta, Dallas, Houston.
Houston and Dallas don't have a strong connection with Atlanta.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:54 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,284,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Houston and Dallas don't have a strong connection with Atlanta.
Sorry, but yes they do. Very strong business ties, with thousands of people flying between each every day.

I've shown the stats before.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:56 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,028,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Sorry, but yes they do. Very strong business ties, with thousands of people flying between each every day.

I've shown the stats before.
I've never heard of a connection between the two. Don't see many people here from ATL, but that's just me.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:58 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,284,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I've never heard of a connection between the two. Don't see many people here from ATL, but that's just me.
I'm speaking in the business sense. As someone who actually sends people all over the place, you would be amazed at the amount of inter-connectivity between all three.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City