Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 09:39 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,128,338 times

Advertisements

The ignorant and backward don't want to hear that they are ignorant and backward. Shucks, dat guy done did sumpin what we don't like.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:23 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,888,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Every state has problems, your state for example, produced Al Franken. Nuff said.

I think you are getting Wisconsin confused with Minnesota.

But, nice try.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:32 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,315,618 times
Maher's point is that the "stupid" states tend to swing way to the right with super-antiquated and often uneducated legislation. Mostly it is a criticism of evangelical\ bible-belt influences on state laws. Those outraged by Maher should instead be outraged by what is happening in conservative states [ie. tea party\ racism\ anti-intellectual\ anti-gay prejudice]. It should be embarrassing. Maher goes for the juggler, no doubt. He has always been very outspoken and progressive.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:33 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,445,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The ignorant and backward don't want to hear that they are ignorant and backward. Shucks, dat guy done did sumpin what we don't like.
That doesn't really get at the heart of the issue. What makes Maher's opinion of what's stupid or not anymore valid than mine or yours? Are we just supposed to nod because a guy has a talk show? Why?

Even if I'd agreed with every choice he made it's still ultimately just one guys opinion.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:36 PM

3,377 posts, read 4,986,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
I think you are getting Wisconsin confused with Minnesota.

But, nice try.
While he may be from Wisconsin, what state voted for him? Minnesota.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:44 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,750,102 times
Every state is stupid to some sort of degree, but I think he did a good job pointing out the stupidest of the bunch.
He's upfront and makes valid points with humor. I thought it was entertaining.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
That doesn't really get at the heart of the issue. What makes Maher's opinion of what's stupid or not anymore valid than mine or yours? Are we just supposed to nod because a guy has a talk show? Why?

Even if I'd agreed with every choice he made it's still ultimately just one guys opinion.
Of-course you are correct. But is Maher's most stupid states any different than Lettermans 10 reasons list? [that often mocks the same thing that Maher criticizes]. Even Jay Leno makes fun of conservative states. Has anyone ever watch Chelsea Lately [Handler]? She blasts conservatives every night and makes fun of ignorance. Comedians give social commentary thru their humor.

I know Maher is very popular [it is very difficult just getting a seat to his show].

Old 06-06-2010, 11:03 PM

9,095 posts, read 13,104,976 times
Thumbs down Bill Maher

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Does anyone agree with Bill Maher's "Stupidest States Showdown" where he identifies what he considers the most stupid states in America. Currently his list is:
Texas
Alaska
Mississippi
Florida
Arizona
Kansas
Alabama
Utah

Right now, Maher is focused alot on Arizona. Does Maher have a point?
Maher thinks these states are stupid?

Must mean these states are doing something right.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:06 PM

128 posts, read 271,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Maher's point is that the "stupid" states tend to swing way to the right with super-antiquated and often uneducated legislation. Mostly it is a criticism of evangelical\ bible-belt influences on state laws. Those outraged by Maher should instead be outraged by what is happening in conservative states [ie. tea party\ racism\ anti-intellectual\ anti-gay prejudice]. It should be embarrassing. Maher goes for the juggler, no doubt. He has always been very outspoken and progressive.
Spoken like a true Californian! That is, defining red states by only their very worst flaws while completely ignoring the obvious and dauntingly stupid ones in his/her own state.

I nominate California as the stupidest state in America, because you elect people on more and more promises, expect to derive freedom from more and more limitations, and expect to receive more and more services from nowhere. It's no wonder your state is so far indebted when the citizenry cheers on the government as they chase more and more jobs and taxpaying companies out of the state. Guess where most of them go. Red states. At least the vast, vast majority of Texans or Floridians actually support gay rights while so much of California is screaming loudly for the least sustainable form of government their state officials can provide.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Maher thinks these states are stupid?

Must mean these states are doing something right.
What's right about taking the study of evolution out of public schools? Or requiring that President Obama prove he really is an American before the 2012 election?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City