Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 03:31 PM

4,382 posts, read 16,712,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
Baltimore:
Mt.Vernon
Little Italy
Fells Point
Federal Hill
Highland town
Canton
What constitutes most urban?

I thin Pigtown is just as urban as these, for example
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 12:39 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,240,772 times
There are outstanding "urban & gentrified districts" that exist within both Cleveland and Columbus ...

CLEVELAND:
Tremont
Shaker Square / Larchmere
Edgewater
Detroit / Shoreway
Old Brooklyn
Cedar Fairmount
Ohio City
Slavic Village
Little Italy
Chinatown
Collinwood
Stockyards

COLUMBUS:
German Village
Olde North Columbus
Short North
Olde Towne East
Olde Oakes
Victorian Village
Italian Village
Driving Park
Clifton Park

Old 06-11-2010, 02:27 PM

8,468 posts, read 14,901,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Atlanta- Midtown
It's probably Midtown, but I'll give a vote to Pittsburgh(not the one in Pennsylvania :P), Cabbagetown, Castleberry Hill, Peachtree Corridor, Poncey-Highland, Virgina-Highland or Boulevard.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:22 AM

633 posts, read 1,435,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post

The whole of Baltimore is pretty darn urban. It's gritty and bustling, with narrow streets.

As for Chicago, I will echo a previous poster and say that Wicker Park/Noble Square is the most urban (especially along Milwaukee Ave.). I would also add the River West/West Loop area. Old warehouses converted to lofts, interspersed with extant industrial buildings, create a uniquely "urban" motif.

I would say Hyde Park, but that is nearly replicated in Oak Park, which is a technically a suburb.

What I want to know is, can a southern, automobile-centered city--in Florida, for example--truly have an urban neighborhood on par with those in Chicago, Philly, or NYC? Or, does the definition of what is truly urban change as you drive below the Mason-Dixon Line?

Old 06-17-2010, 08:56 AM

161 posts, read 697,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
The whole of Baltimore is pretty darn urban. It's gritty and bustling, with narrow streets.

As for Chicago, I will echo a previous poster and say that Wicker Park/Noble Square is the most urban (especially along Milwaukee Ave.). I would also add the River West/West Loop area. Old warehouses converted to lofts, interspersed with extant industrial buildings, create a uniquely "urban" motif.

I would say Hyde Park, but that is nearly replicated in Oak Park, which is a technically a suburb.

What I want to know is, can a southern, automobile-centered city--in Florida, for example--truly have an urban neighborhood on par with those in Chicago, Philly, or NYC? Or, does the definition of what is truly urban change as you drive below the Mason-Dixon Line?
One of my older posts defined "truly urban" as mainly characteristic of older cities, or those cities that had great neighborhoods built before zoning and land use became such predominate factors in urban development. So I guess to answer your question... There are obvious urban spaces/cities south of the Mason Dixon like Savannah, Charleston, parts of Miami, Memphis, Athens, etc. But I think you're right, the definition of "urban" would have to change for large portions of the south and southwest. But I still think there are great urban spaces in many of those areas, they're just largely older parts of cities.

I guess the question then becomes, if "truly urban" neighborhoods are ones that are nearly impossible to duplicate in today's suburban settings (due to factors I mentioned in my previous post like zoning, landscape ordinances, etc), then do neighborhoods like those around the U of A in Tucson or UGA in Athens become "truly urban neighborhoods in the south and southwest" because there are no suburbs in those regions that have duplicated that urban style OR because it is still plausible to duplicate, they don't not count as "truly urban"?

Old 06-17-2010, 09:44 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,007,684 times
Miami's isn't even in Miami. It's South Beach in Miami Beach. Enough said.
In Raleigh, it's Glenwood South. From there, one can walk to both the CBD, NC State Univ. and Cameron Village (old school first ring suburban neighborhood and shopping).

Old 06-17-2010, 09:56 AM

805 posts, read 2,148,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I would not consider West Hollywood to be particularly "urban," at least not when compared to other neighborhoods like Koreatown. I don't really think of West Hollywood and Westlake as having much in common, although I suppose they do both share grand old 1920s apartment buildings, among other things.

For DC I'd put in a vote for Georgetown.

I'm not sure what my choice for SF would be, but it wouldn't be the Tenderloin. The Tenderloin is very urban, of course, but if you're looking for very unique I think there are plenty of other urban neighborhoods in the city with a more distinctive and unique SF (and urban) feeling. I think I'd put Chinatown or Nob Hill at the top of the list. The Tenderloin feels more like what you'd find in other big cities.
dc no. gtown doesn't have a metro stop.

dupont is pretty good because it has employment, but also a residential neighborhood. Perhaps it lacks grit.

I'm going to say Penn Quarter or Capitol Hill for DC.

For Baltimore I'll say Mt. Vernon.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:58 AM

805 posts, read 2,148,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post

foot traffic/mass transit is pretty important.,

Old 10-20-2011, 04:12 AM

896 posts, read 1,161,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
Los Angeles = (in no particular order)
1. Downtown Los Angeles (Historic Core, Little Tokyo),
2. Koreatown,
3. Pico-Union/Westlake,
4. Miracle Mile
Great list I would add Echo Park, East Hollywood, Hollywood, and maybe Silver Lake to that list.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:32 AM

13,941 posts, read 14,814,510 times
Back bay Boston? That can complete with the north end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City