Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 12:22 PM

6,514 posts, read 8,386,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidals View Post
Not my town, but a great city:

Richmond: The Fan and Chaco Bottom
Both Richmond, VA and Richmond, CA are pretty urban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 10:58 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,072,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
Where I live, Lakewood Ohio, is pretty urban and it's a suburb. You would definitely not think you are in a suburb. More urban than many big cities I've been to.
That's crazy talk. Lakewood isn't that urban outside the main drag, which big cities do you mean?

Old 06-11-2014, 12:05 PM

338 posts, read 444,389 times
Pittsburgh's Most Urban Neighborhoods:

Central Northside
East Allegheny
South Side Flats
Bluff
Oakland
Lawrenceville
East Liberty
Bloomfield

All are very dense with urban business districts.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:02 PM

6,212 posts, read 9,151,041 times
For DC, I'd say either Penn Quarter, Chinatown, DuPont Circle, or Adams Morgan.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:14 AM

574 posts, read 683,132 times
Uptown for Minneapolis

Old 06-17-2015, 08:02 AM

14,360 posts, read 16,863,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatty5011 View Post
Pittsburgh's Most Urban Neighborhoods:

Central Northside
East Allegheny
South Side Flats
Bluff
Oakland
Lawrenceville
East Liberty
Bloomfield

All are very dense with urban business districts.
I partially disagree with this list. East Liberty is the one which really doesn't belong. The commercial core of it (where it hasn't been urban renewed to oblivion) is pretty urban. The infill projects around Penn Circle are rapidly densifying it as well. But the residential portions of the neighborhood, where the majority of the population lives, look like this. No different than Highland Park, Friendship, or Shadyside.

Indeed, if you include East Liberty, you have to include Shadyside on this list too. Yes, there are lots of streets of single family houses, but also areas like this, this, and this.

I don't think of Shadyside as a particularly urban form neighborhood. It was built out as a detached SFH neighborhood in the late 19th century, followed by apartment infill in the early 20th century and then again in the mid 20th century. So it has high density, but really isn't good in most places in terms of urban street feel. But someone from Seattle or Portland would probably think of Shadyside as being very urban. Bottom line though is if you include East Liberty (and North Oakland, which is similar, but with more apartment buildings) you have to include Shadyside.

In terms of "old urban" parts of Pittsburgh, I'd also include Allegheny West, Manchester, Troy Hill, and Polish Hill. Admittedly none of them really have business districts, which makes them a notch lower, but Central Northside and Bluff are probably in the same grouping as well for similar reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City