Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 05:43 PM

9 posts, read 14,309 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to relocate by early or mid 2011. We currently live in southern CA but our area is very expensive. Apartments (decent to nice) in our area are $1250/month to $1600/month. Homes in our area are 1 million to 2 million. We live close to the beach and its beautiful but we are done spending way too much money to live here and goods jobs are hard to find right now in our area too. We are looking for a new place to live. It could be a new county within CA or a whole new state. We are considering several different places and keeping our options open.
Any positive and helpful suggestions would be great.I see a lot of people on here just attacking each other verbally so I am not looking for any rude comments or to get into a debate about anything. Im just here for helpful feedback. If you do have a problem with something I write/ask please feel free to not respond at all.
Here is what my husband and I are looking for in relocating. Im sure we wont find everything we want in one place but hopefully most of these things.
1) good/decent paying jobs available
2) safe area with low crime
3) affordable apartments/homes to rent/buy (we consider an affordable apartment to be
$700/month to $1000/month and an affordable home to be $300,000).
4) good/decent air quality
5) no extreme/drastic weather changes (one day its negative 3 degrees and next week its 105 degrees). Warmer weather preferred so it cost less to heat a pool.
6) safe driving, safe/good drivers, safe freeways/streets
7) privacy when you buy a home (getting more land/space with your home). The homes here barely offer any backyard and there is no space in between homes.
8) good health care, doctors, hospitals
9) being within a 30 minute drive to the city with stores, places to eat, a mall
I will tell you a little about us so you can suggest the best county/state for us to consider. We are both white and in our early 30's. We are both conservative, republicans. We are both church-going Christians. We have no children and are not planning on having
children anytime soon. We are both career minded people. We enjoy hiking, going to the gym. My husband has a Bachelor of Science in information security systems and is looking for a high paying job in which he can use his degree. I currently make $45,000 a year working in
advertising but am looking to work less so I can go to school and get a degree. Considering a medical major but I am not 100% sure yet. I also have lots of management experience from other jobs but currently no degree. My husband and I would like to buy a 3 bedroom house
within the next few years. And we would like to rent a nice apartment in the meantime. We dont want to have to spend hours commuting to work everyday. Maybe 30 to 45 minutes each way to work, tops.
Thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 05:51 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,788,212 times
Phoenix Arizona has all the key elements that you are looking for...Affordability/Cost of Living/Diversity/Great Weather/Driving Distance to other large cities such as Las Vegas, San Diego, Los Angeles.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:33 PM

528 posts, read 1,181,305 times
May I suggest Washington DC, specifically northern VA? I'll break down how this area matches up with what you're looking for:

1) good/decent paying jobs available The federal government is right here, there are plenty of jobs - especially in industries like IT/engineering for your husband. Also, the workforce here is probably the most recession-proof in the country
2) safe area with low crimeNorthern VA is very safe, especially points West of DC.
3) affordable apartments/homes to rent/buy (we consider an affordable apartment to be
$700/month to $1000/month and an affordable home to be $300,000).Northern VA is quite expensive, although not as much as california. In Fairfax County, you can find a 1br for about $1200/mo, but if you wanted a slightly longer commute, nearby Prince William county can find you that same 1br for about $900/mo
4) good/decent air qualityThe air is good here, and pretty much anywhere outside of LA...or NJ haha
5) no extreme/drastic weather changes (one day its negative 3 degrees and next week its 105 degrees). Warmer weather preferred so it cost less to heat a pool.You do get the 4 seasons here, but the winters arent harsh (with exception to this last one). Summers are really hot though (so I hear - I moved to VA last fall)
6) safe driving, safe/good drivers, safe freeways/streets.....no, sorry - VA isnt a place with safe drivers, to be honest. and the highways are poorly designed.
7) privacy when you buy a home (getting more land/space with your home). The homes here barely offer any backyard and there is no space in between homes.You can definitely find a home here with plenty of space!
8) good health care, doctors, hospitalsas far as i know, its as good as anywhere, but im not talking from experience.
9) being within a 30 minute drive to the city with stores, places to eat, a mallDC's a great city to live near, it has a pretty good Metro (subway) system, and tons of malls/strip malls

Additional thoughts:
-The northeast is great for being near everything. You can get to baltimore in 1 hr, philly in 3, nyc in 5. The northern VA/DC area isnt very close to the beaches though - itll take you 2-3 hours to get to ocean city, MD or virginia beach.
-There is a pretty large Christian population from what I've experienced. I go to a church called McLean Bible Church, and it is awesome with a great young adult congregation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City