Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2010, 09:37 PM

528 posts, read 1,179,667 times

Advertisements

I think that some smaller cities share traits that NYC has.
Boston feels alot like nyc to me in its neighborhoods (Brookline/fenway feels like brooklyn).
So does chicago in a way. Nearby Toronto shares a similarity with NYC in that its ultra-diverse, and it has an impressive skyline.

But nothing can compare to NYC. Its a completely different animal.

You know how many smaller countries have their "Primate" city? For example: The UK has London, France has Paris, Japan has Tokyo. Nobody is debating that those are the main cities of their respective countries, and nothing else comes close. But for the USA, we have so many large cities that try to compete with NYC. Also, NYC isnt the oldest city, nor is it a state/national capital, so it doesn't hold governmental significance. I will still debate however, that NYC is pretty much a primate city of the USA. I guess this is a whole other topic all together, but yea - nothing in the US comes close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 10:01 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,506,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Well, I'm going to have to disagree with you on London. Both LA and Chicago have larger GDP's than London or Paris. São Paolo fared much better than I would have expected them to.

List of cities by GDP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
PWC
2008 est.($BN)
1. Tokyo, Japan $1479
2. New York City, United States $1406
3. Los Angeles, United States $792
4. Chicago, United States $574
5. London, United Kingdom $565
6. Paris, France $564
7. Osaka, Japan $417
8. Mexico City, Mexico$390
9. Philadelphia, United States $388
10. São Paulo, Brazil $388
11. Washington D.C., United States $375
12. Boston, United States $363
13. Buenos Aires, Argentina $362
14. Dallas, United States $338
15. Moscow, Russia $321
16. Hong Kong, China $320
17. Atlanta, United States $304
18. San Francisco, United States $301
19. Houston, United States $297
20. Miami, United States $292

As far as culture goes, that's a very hard thing to judge. Paris and London have forever left their mark on the literary world, but who still reads books in this day and age? I guess London with the BBC can match NYC as the world's news capitals.
London and Paris have left a way bigger cultural mark than just books, and way bigger than NYC's. Last time I checked Britain, and France were still among the most powerful nations in the world, and their centers for everything are in London and Paris. These cities pretty much ran the world for 500 years or longer, and were prominent for much longer than that. So their GDP doesn't measure up, London is still the world's biggest financial center with NYC and both London and Paris still have a strong hand in world affairs. GDP isn't everything.

I don't think NYC has any real level peer in the U.S., not even close, and not a ton through out the world (though much more than some of you seem to give credit for, definitely more than just London and Tokyo) but it's not the only one of it's kind.

And lottsa people still read books, yeah, even in this country lol.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:24 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,224,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toredyvik View Post
Nearby Toronto shares a similarity with NYC in that its ultra-diverse, and it has an impressive skyline.
In many ways, I'd say that Toronto is more similar to NYC than any city in the U.S. is.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:37 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
London and Paris have left a way bigger cultural mark than just books, and way bigger than NYC's. Last time I checked Britain, and France were still among the most powerful nations in the world, and their centers for everything are in London and Paris. These cities pretty much ran the world for 500 years or longer, and were prominent for much longer than that. So their GDP doesn't measure up, London is still the world's biggest financial center with NYC and both London and Paris still have a strong hand in world affairs. GDP isn't everything.

I don't think NYC has any real level peer in the U.S., not even close, and not a ton through out the world (though much more than some of you seem to give credit for, definitely more than just London and Tokyo) but it's not the only one of it's kind.

And lottsa people still read books, yeah, even in this country lol.

The UK is forty million. I don't know exact numbers for France. They might share a continent but not a country. The USA is almost ten times as big as the UK. I definately would not call the UK or France more powerful than the United States. Although you haven't come out and said, you are sort of hinting to that. History only means so much. What have you done for me lately. There is not doubt that London is a powerful city, which stands alone in the UK. NYC has Chicago and LA which are powerhouses in their own right..The US is much more powerful than the UK or France could dream of being.

Having said that, China trumps them all.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:28 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,934,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
On what basis?

Old 06-09-2010, 12:44 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,329,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Think Henry Hill/Goodfellas. Not Ralph Kramden/Honeymooners

Immigrants used to be able to come their with basically just the shirt on their back, and have a shot at achieving the American dream. Thats what made it so great.

Nowadays an immigrant has a better chance of finding that dream in Texas.
immgrants still come to nyc what in the world are you talking about?

Old 06-09-2010, 01:27 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,506,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
The UK is forty million. I don't know exact numbers for France. They might share a continent but not a country. The USA is almost ten times as big as the UK. I definitely would not call the UK or France more powerful than the United States. Although you haven't come out and said, you are sort of hinting to that. History only means so much. What have you done for me lately. There is not doubt that London is a powerful city, which stands alone in the UK. NYC has Chicago and LA which are powerhouses in their own right..The US is much more powerful than the UK or France could dream of being.

You totally misread me. I didn't say that at all, I said "among the most powerful," not the most powerful. Of course the U.S. is the most powerful nation in the world, just don't forget that the U.K. and France are nuclear states, permanent members of the U.N. security council, and are among the world's economic leaders. The countries and their capitals definitely have some strength behind em, they're not just all talk. London and Paris are still leading world cities, and still have significant worldwide impact.

I think the part where you thought I hinted at what you said was when I said that both cities have left a much bigger cultural impact on the world than New York. Well that's true, but it's also a function of history. The two cities are like 2000 years old while NY is like 400. They've also been more prominent on the world stage for longer. I wasn't trying to say that those cities are more powerful than NY today, or that those countries are more powerful than the U.S., I was just responding to that other guy who made it sound like London and Paris had left no impact on the world, which is just so grossly untrue.

BTW, I think China still has quite a long way to go before trumping the U.S., but that's just me lol.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:57 AM

10,138 posts, read 15,934,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post

BTW, I think China still has quite a long way to go before trumping the U.S., but that's just me lol.
No it's not just you, China has decades to go before it can "trump" US.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:02 AM

725 posts, read 1,503,227 times
i have read some post and a lot of people say that there is nothing like NY... well no of course not. But US cities are really unique... think. What city is like Miami or New Orleans, tha A, LA etc. Anyway...

I think Chicago comes the closest with architecture, financial prowess, manufacturing history, COLD weather (just kidding). San franciso comes close with cost of living and density. And LA is similar in being used as back drops on tv and movies and entertainment in general.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:49 AM

515 posts, read 981,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
If you wanna find "real" New Yorkers go to Jersey, Philly, and the working class parts of Conn.
Haha, one of the dumbest things I've heard on C-D... "real" New Yorkers don't move to New Jersey or Connecticut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
i have read some post and a lot of people say that there is nothing like NY... well no of course not. But US cities are really unique... think. What city is like Miami or New Orleans, tha A, LA etc. Anyway...

I think Chicago comes the closest with architecture, financial prowess, manufacturing history, COLD weather (just kidding). San franciso comes close with cost of living and density. And LA is similar in being used as back drops on tv and movies and entertainment in general.
I agree with everything you say here...

Last edited by sbarn; 06-09-2010 at 10:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City