Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2010, 09:14 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,506,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Haha, one of the dumbest things I've heard on C-D... "real" New Yorkers don't move to New Jersey or Connecticut.
Well, I did.
But I get what you're saying, that was a really dumb statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 11:28 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,437,074 times
After Chicago...I'd go with Philadelphia, although it is smaller it is more manageable with a compact core reminding one of a small Manhattan.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:01 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,458,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Haha, one of the dumbest things I've heard on C-D... "real" New Yorkers don't move to New Jersey or Connecticut.
lol

Old 06-10-2010, 09:34 AM

36,628 posts, read 67,146,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
Not to rehash anything that's been said over a million times on CD.

You asked me to prove SF+SJ (SF Bay Area) was on par with Chicagoland, London, or Paris Metro. I did with published data.

You know damn well that when you find data knocking SF to #15, you are only counting basically half the Bay Area. In reality, the Bay Area is one and ranks up there with the aforementioned metros.

Can you even give me that?? Are we even debating in good faith here if you won't allow us that much??
Your wasting your time.

But I digress, for old times sake:

This, is 2008:

3. Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia, DC-MD-VA-WV CSA $533.542 Billion
Baltimore-Towson, MD Metro Area $133,012
Lexington Park, MD Micro Area
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metro Area $395,747
Winchester, VA-WV Metro Area $4,783

4. Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI CSA $526.895 Billion
Chicago-Naperville-Joliet, IL-IN-WI Metro Area $520,672
Kankakee-Bradley, IL Metro Area $3,094
Michigan City-La Porte, IN Metro Area $3,336

5. San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA CSA $508.418 Billion
Napa, CA Metro Area $7,434
San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA Metro Area $310,825
San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA Metro Area $146,687
Santa Cruz-Watsonville, CA Metro Area $9,903
Santa Rosa-Petaluma, CA Metro Area $20,229
Vallejo-Fairfield, CA Metro Area $13,340

Furthermore, when it comes to being a magnet for the world like NY, London and Paris, The Bay Area has a higher percentage of foreign born residents than all three. And while the Bay Area is the 6th largest CSA is population, it is 3rd when it comes to foreign born residents behind NY and LA.

Furthermore, like NY, the Bay Area has a very high percentage of highly educated and wealthy foreign born residents.

Furthermore, San Francisco is one of the 2 or 3 most highly regarded US Cities in the world-definitely more iconic than basically every city except New York and possibly Washington or LA.

There are plenty of things we can talk about and we have miles and miles of stats to back up every last thing we say.

But we don't even need to do that cause we've done it already dozens of times.

The burden of proving anything is not on us. Its on them.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:03 PM

213 posts, read 419,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
What city wants to be compared to NYC???
Ok!!!! I don't know how they live in all that congestion.. I need room and space.. I'll take the suburban lifestyle for 300 alex..

Old 06-10-2010, 09:29 PM

213 posts, read 419,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
The UK is forty million. I don't know exact numbers for France. They might share a continent but not a country. The USA is almost ten times as big as the UK. I definately would not call the UK or France more powerful than the United States. Although you haven't come out and said, you are sort of hinting to that. History only means so much. What have you done for me lately. There is not doubt that London is a powerful city, which stands alone in the UK. NYC has Chicago and LA which are powerhouses in their own right..The US is much more powerful than the UK or France could dream of being.

Having said that, China trumps them all.
Yeah you right we are so powerful to the point that we are in debt to China how much money do we really owe them.. Hasn't the US dollar fell under Londons..

Old 06-10-2010, 10:39 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,698,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Your wasting your time.

But I digress, for old times sake:

This, is 2008:

3. Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia, DC-MD-VA-WV CSA $533.542 Billion
Baltimore-Towson, MD Metro Area $133,012
Lexington Park, MD Micro Area
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metro Area $395,747
Winchester, VA-WV Metro Area $4,783

4. Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI CSA $526.895 Billion
Chicago-Naperville-Joliet, IL-IN-WI Metro Area $520,672
Kankakee-Bradley, IL Metro Area $3,094
Michigan City-La Porte, IN Metro Area $3,336

5. San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA CSA $508.418 Billion
Napa, CA Metro Area $7,434
San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA Metro Area $310,825
San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA Metro Area $146,687
Santa Cruz-Watsonville, CA Metro Area $9,903
Santa Rosa-Petaluma, CA Metro Area $20,229
Vallejo-Fairfield, CA Metro Area $13,340

Furthermore, when it comes to being a magnet for the world like NY, London and Paris, The Bay Area has a higher percentage of foreign born residents than all three. And while the Bay Area is the 6th largest CSA is population, it is 3rd when it comes to foreign born residents behind NY and LA.

Furthermore, like NY, the Bay Area has a very high percentage of highly educated and wealthy foreign born residents.

Furthermore, San Francisco is one of the 2 or 3 most highly regarded US Cities in the world-definitely more iconic than basically every city except New York and possibly Washington or LA.

There are plenty of things we can talk about and we have miles and miles of stats to back up every last thing we say.

But we don't even need to do that cause we've done it already dozens of times.

The burden of proving anything is not on us. Its on them.

SanFran is not anywhere near as big or influential as NYC, London, or Paris, the cities you tried to put it side by side with.

Most people in America don't really think about the bay let alone the people of the world.

You should compare it to cities that are more its size and more in its league like Detroit or Jacksonville.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:48 PM

2,556 posts, read 3,595,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
SanFran is not anywhere near as big or influential as NYC, London, or Paris, the cities you tried to put it side by side with.

Most people in America don't really think about the bay let alone the people of the world.

You should compare it to cities that are more its size and more in its league like Detroit or Jacksonville.
LOL-- agree with the general sentiment that San Francisco/Bay is not in the London/New York/Paris pantheon (or anywhere near it), but I certainly wouldn't compare it with Detroit or Jacksonville. That's more ludicrous than the first comparison.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:55 PM

36,628 posts, read 67,146,871 times
Quote:

It really irks you that SF is so world famous doesnt it?

I mean, it seems to really eat you up inside.

Well, that's your problem.

San Francisco consistently ranks as one of the Most popular American cities in the world and there is nothing you can do about it.

Go cry.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:58 PM

515 posts, read 981,524 times
Quote:

Haha give me a break. Yes, Detroit is synonymous with cars. But Jacksonville?

The Bay Area really is the high-tech capital of the world, and to quote the New York Times, "perhaps more than any region, Silicon Valley has transformed the world in the last half century." Just to name a few Bay Area-based companies... Apple, Hewlett-Packard, Adobe, Cisco, Google, eBay, Yahoo, Intel, Silicon Graphics, Sun Microsystems, Agilent, Oracle, etc... not to mention hundreds, if not thousands of other start ups in the region. Basically, any time a person turns on a computer they are utilizing some sort of technology that was born in the Bay Area.

No the Bay Area is not New York or LA - but is without a doubt one of the most important metropolitan areas in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City