Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 11:26 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,936,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
Chicago is a dying city with a dying economy. I really pity Chicago, the city is the most bipolar place I've come to see in my life. Half the city is a crime ridden, poverty stricken, hopeless wasteland while the other half flaunts wealth and corruption in the faces of the unfortunate south and west siders. What a despicably disgusting city where 5 year old children are gunned down for playing in their neighborhoods. Pathetic they were looking at possibilities to call the arm guards of the U.S military to protect Chicago. It's half the metro size of NY, less than half the CSA, and a quarter the size in city. The skyline is a fraction of the size and the place is a cold frigid wasteland when winter begins but somehow it compares to a city that's never known what sleep is? Please.. Chicago is no tourism mecca, there's nothing to see there that you cant anywhere else and when your located in such a depressed feeble region like the midwest, Chicago becomes a big deal to farmers in Kansas to make an annual trip.

What corruption and mediocrity can only exist in Chicago, the city epitomizes the gates of the underworld. No Chicago isn't the worst city although it comes close

Priced out New Yorkers go to places like Philly or Chicago. New Yorkers wanting a better change in scenery/weather go to Miami or LA. The ones that want to keep their mindset but try a new type of city head to SF or LA.
Are you even a New Yorker? You sure are making a lot of blanket statements about us, and other cities. I just moved to Chicago for a job that pays significantly better money than the one I had on Wall Street. I would hardly say I am priced out, I own a rental property in Queens and am considering buying the apartment I grew up in from my parents in Manhattan.
Chicago is a great city, and I can see why people would prefer it to New York (same with Philly), I am about as hard core New Yorker as they come and believe it is the greatest city in the world, but its not for everyone. We dont need any more Crazies living in this city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 11:31 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,241,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Miami, SF or LA are nothing remotely like New York City, even though comparisons are often drawn. I guess I'll never understand this.
Of course they're not like NY. There's a reason NY stands with Paris or Tokyo, the international centers of commerce on this planet without a peer in the states.

However the elites in NY have strong ties to SF and LA/MIA are playgrounds for the affluent New Yorkers. NY and LA are the most glamorous cities in the states, do you think Tom Cruise is going to be flying in to a place like Philly or Chicago for pleasure vacationing? The powerful and glamorous only care for very few places in the states. Do they define the end all and be all utopian societies? Of course not. No one "wants" to film blockbuster hits in a place like Chicago, the only reason they do is because of the tax rebates and cheap sets they can get there. NY, LA, SF, MIA are priced out sets yet they're still the most popular sets in the country, its where those with money want to be.

I mean really when you make more than $250,000 annually why would you step foot in places that offer nothing original?

Old 10-10-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Of course they're not like NY. There's a reason NY stands with Paris or Tokyo, the international centers of commerce on this planet without a peer in the states.

However the elites in NY have strong ties to SF and LA/MIA are playgrounds for the affluent New Yorkers. NY and LA are the most glamorous cities in the states, do you think Tom Cruise is going to be flying in to a place like Philly or Chicago for pleasure vacationing? The powerful and glamorous only care for very few places in the states. Do they define the end all and be all utopian societies? Of course not. No one "wants" to film blockbuster hits in a place like Chicago, the only reason they do is because of the tax rebates and cheap sets they can get there. NY, LA, SF, MIA are priced out sets yet they're still the most popular sets in the country, its where those with money want to be.

I mean really when you make more than $250,000 annually why would you step foot in places that offer nothing original?
You watch too much Gossip Girl.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:35 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,590,704 times
Compare to NYC in the US? Absolutely none.

On a worldwide level, Tokyo, London, and Paris are the only ones I think can come close.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:37 AM

58 posts, read 95,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Chicago is a great city, and I can see why people would prefer it to New York (same with Philly),
Yes and no.

Chicago has its strengths, but in terms of "city vs. city", is absolutely demolished by NYC. And Philly, unlike Chicago, has the East Coast urbanity that Chicago lacks.

So while it is true that many folks prefer the Midwest, when we are talking "city vs. city" metrics, it doesn't look too good compared to the Northeast, IMO.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I just moved to Chicago for a job that pays significantly better money than the one I had on Wall Street.
Then you're not a priced out New Yorker, unless you couldn't afford to live in NY or move to SF or LA you followed your career to Chicago. Priced out New Yorkers have no job or means to survive in New York, desperately searching for where they can call home end up in Philly or Chicago because they're dirt cheap compared to New York.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
You watch too much Gossip Girl.
I don't watch television but I know facts.

There are barely any relevant people in Chicago or Philly. Oprah, she dumped Chicago for LA. Michael Jordan, dumped Chicago for North Carolina. Will Smith, dumped Philly for LA/MIA. Six of nineteen Chicagoland billionaires are from the same family and Philly has a laughable lot of three total.

I'm not saying that it's important for your city to have affluent or filmy likes but really its pretty clear why they only live in a few cities like NY, LA, MIA, Vegas, Dallas, or SF. Places like Boston, DC, Atlanta, Toronto, Montreal, New Orleans, Nashville, Austin, Houston even come further than Philly or Chicago especially for their size when it comes to attracting the eclectic, trendy, glamorous, famous, powerful, or wealthy. There's nothing exciting about Chicago or Philly, no one from Paris or Milan is flying in overnight to watch fashion shows there, no one from London is flying in to invest $5 billion into some form of redevelopment, no one from Hong Kong is filming there. President Barack Obama when in need of a loan goes to SF or NY to get his money, he doesn't go to Chicago nor Philly because those places don't have the money it takes to loan a famous public figure like the president.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:52 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,621,035 times
I think the main reason that many celebrities live in NY and LA is because the industries they work in are centered there, not because of pure lifestyle preference.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:59 AM

7,246 posts, read 10,486,692 times
Quote:
t his money, he doesn't go to Chicago nor Philly because those places don't have the money it takes to loan a famous public figure like the president.

So, you're asserting there's no wealth in two of the largest metro areas in the country? Pretty bold claim.

Chicago

"Taking a brief hometown respite Wednesday night, President Barack Obama used a 50th birthday bash in Uptown to raise re-election money from a friendly crowd as he sought to recharge a presidency showing signs of scars from Washington’s partisan battles."

Obama tries to turn page with Chicago campaign fundraiser - Chicago Tribune

Philadelphia

"The fundraising merry-go-round stops briefly in Philadelphia on June 30, with President Obama showcasing a high-dollar dinner at the home of Comcast executive David L. Cohen."

Comcast | Obama fundraising: Comcast executive to host Obama fundraiser - Los Angeles Times

As for NY and LA, rotodome is absolutely right in noting that those are the two cities where the media/entertainment industries are primarily based. Obviously you're going to have the most presence of celebrities in those two cities, being that they're the two largest population hubs on the East and West Coasts, respectively.

Last edited by Duderino; 10-10-2011 at 12:13 PM..

Old 10-10-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I don't watch television but I know facts.

There are barely any relevant people in Chicago or Philly. Oprah, she dumped Chicago for LA. Michael Jordan, dumped Chicago for North Carolina. Will Smith, dumped Philly for LA/MIA. Six of nineteen Chicagoland billionaires are from the same family and Philly has a laughable lot of three total.

I'm not saying that it's important for your city to have affluent or filmy likes but really its pretty clear why they only live in a few cities like NY, LA, MIA, Vegas, Dallas, or SF. Places like Boston, DC, Atlanta, Toronto, Montreal, New Orleans, Nashville, Austin, Houston even come further than Philly or Chicago especially for their size when it comes to attracting the eclectic, trendy, glamorous, famous, powerful, or wealthy. There's nothing exciting about Chicago or Philly, no one from Paris or Milan is flying in overnight to watch fashion shows there, no one from London is flying in to invest $5 billion into some form of redevelopment, no one from Hong Kong is filming there. President Barack Obama when in need of a loan goes to SF or NY to get his money, he doesn't go to Chicago nor Philly because those places don't have the money it takes to loan a famous public figure like the president.
I seriously hope you do not act this way in "real life", you come across as very douchy. Im guessing this is an internet personna you are trying to portray. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City