Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 05:32 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,675,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
Of course they're not like NY. There's a reason NY stands with Paris or Tokyo, the international centers of commerce on this planet without a peer in the states.

However the elites in NY have strong ties to SF and LA/MIA are playgrounds for the affluent New Yorkers. NY and LA are the most glamorous cities in the states, do you think Tom Cruise is going to be flying in to a place like Philly or Chicago for pleasure vacationing? The powerful and glamorous only care for very few places in the states. Do they define the end all and be all utopian societies? Of course not. No one "wants" to film blockbuster hits in a place like Chicago, the only reason they do is because of the tax rebates and cheap sets they can get there. NY, LA, SF, MIA are priced out sets yet they're still the most popular sets in the country, its where those with money want to be.

I mean really when you make more than $250,000 annually why would you step foot in places that offer nothing original?

Honestly 250K isnt all that much money in Philly/Chicago/LA/DC let alone NYC to live any type of glamorous lifestyle - Not sure I get your point. I love NYC (lived there as well as DC and SF) and find many things I like about many cities. You honestly appear to have blinders on to the world at times and many people choose NYC as well as other places for a multitude of reasons. I personally do not think any city compares directly to NYC though as Po-boy said there are aspects of many places that can compare on certain areas or even excel in them. Not everyone has to want all NYC offers and because they do not does not make their decision any more or less correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 04:09 PM

669 posts, read 1,268,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
If you are talking about the overall "big city" experience, don't think any other US city can quite match New York. But if you want certain aspects, there are many places that can compete with, or beat New York for certain things:

From the original post:

Excitment: New York is certainly exciting, but many people would find LA, Miami or Vegas just as exciting.

Arts: Again, New York has an awesome arts scene, but you can also find fantastic museums and galleries in a number of cities such as San Francisco, Washington, Chicago, LA, etc.

Transportation: Chicago and DC have excellent public transportation.

A few other categories:

Education: Boston probably has the most impressive collection of higher educational institutions in the country. San Francisco, Chicago, LA, and Philly are also up there.

Weather: IMO, cities like San Diego, LA and Miami have much better weather than New York. Heck, I even prefer Atlanta, Charlotte and Washington, DC.

Cost of Living: For all of the great things in New York, it is a very expensive place. For some people, they would rather be somewhere that they can actually enjoy some of the finer things in life for a lower price in cities like Atlanta, Houston, Philly, Dallas, etc.

History: Cities like Boston and Philly have just as much, if not more, historical importance as New York.

So yeah, I think a lot of cities can be compared favorably with New York, it just depends on which bundle of aspects a particular person values.
The thing is no city encompasses all those things that NYC does, this city is in the top 5 of like every category.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:40 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,458,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd9124 View Post
The thing is no city encompasses all those things that NYC does, this city is in the top 5 of like every category.
seriously. its like saying the birmingham, manchester, leeds, brighton brings it as much as london - not happening. same with france & paris, germany, etc..

the thing this is that america has such a diverse landscape it really should be like 4-5 countries in itself. everytime i hit cali the flight alone makes me think i'm in another country. and some ways i am

Old 10-13-2011, 11:07 PM

229 posts, read 466,148 times
I don't think there really is a city that can compete with New York in terms of size and culture, but the closest without a doubt would have to be Chicago

Old 10-13-2011, 11:22 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,839,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8loody View Post
I don't think there really is a city that can compete with New York in terms of size and culture, but the closest without a doubt would have to be Chicago
Chicago isn't more culturally significant or larger than LA. I've always seen this county as having two elite cities: NYC & LA.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:47 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,241,429 times
Quote:
Honestly 250K isnt all that much money in Philly/Chicago/LA/DC let alone NYC to live any type of glamorous lifestyle - Not sure I get your point. I love NYC (lived there as well as DC and SF) and find many things I like about many cities. You honestly appear to have blinders on to the world at times and many people choose NYC as well as other places for a multitude of reasons. I personally do not think any city compares directly to NYC though as Po-boy said there are aspects of many places that can compare on certain areas or even excel in them. Not everyone has to want all NYC offers and because they do not does not make their decision any more or less correct.
$250K annually after reporting to tax is a lot of disposable income for living anywhere for a single person. My dream apartment in Manhattan costs around $22,000 rent per month and can fit into the expense of a salary such as $250K. There are other expenses but I make more than enough to sustain a lifestyle that includes the best nightlife availability twice a week and plenty left for reporting taxes, insurance, lifestyle expenses. I wouldn't live in NY if I couldn't live in Manhattan and I don't live in Manhattan because my job is in DC tied to defense contracting. Another 5 years from now its good bye DC and hello Manhattan and I can assure you needn't worry for my expenses. $250K annually for a single is enough to enjoy a much comfortable lifestyle in LA and SF.

Best salary for living in Manhattan and renting an apartment with rent of $22,000 monthly would be nearly $375K annually and up but you can scrape by and live decently and enjoy with $250K. My sister does it but her household has two high paying salaries. Philly? I wouldn't ever live there even if I was paid to live in it, sorry.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
$250K annually after reporting to tax is a lot of disposable income for living anywhere for a single person. My dream apartment in Manhattan costs around $22,000 rent per month and can fit into the expense of a salary such as $250K. There are other expenses but I make more than enough to sustain a lifestyle that includes the best nightlife availability twice a week and plenty left for reporting taxes, insurance, lifestyle expenses. I wouldn't live in NY if I couldn't live in Manhattan and I don't live in Manhattan because my job is in DC tied to defense contracting. Another 5 years from now its good bye DC and hello Manhattan and I can assure you needn't worry for my expenses. $250K annually for a single is enough to enjoy a much comfortable lifestyle in LA and SF.

Best salary for living in Manhattan and renting an apartment with rent of $22,000 monthly would be nearly $375K annually and up but you can scrape by and live decently and enjoy with $250K. My sister does it but her household has two high paying salaries. Philly? I wouldn't ever live there even if I was paid to live in it, sorry.

Dont care if you want to live in Philly or not but by no means would call a 250K salary offering an extravagant lifestyle even if single honestly, especially in NYC. But I suppose extravagance is subjective

I would never pay RENT of 22K a month either no matter how much I made

Old 10-14-2011, 04:07 PM

27,232 posts, read 28,302,028 times
Quote:
The rule of thumb typically used in Manhattan for salaries is that it should be 40 X rent. So, you need to be making $880K to afford that rent.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
IDGAF about your budget or what you do with your money but don't lecture me of what it takes to support a lifestyle. You don't want to pay $22K monthly then don't no ones forcing you to live and pay that rent

No lecture, to me $250K is by no means extravagant, upper middle class yes, extravagant lifestyle providing no, but as i stated our definitions of extravagant are all subjective. On your last point agree but on the whole not sure why this is sensitive to you, you seem quite hostile on here honestly. Personally I dont see 300+K in rent as something I would do with no tax incentives, though some would likely be phased out under Alt-Min regardless at incomes to afford this in the first place even on a purchase.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:15 PM

229 posts, read 466,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Chicago isn't more culturally significant or larger than LA. I've always seen this county as having two elite cities: NYC & LA.
Good joke excluding the movie industry the city it self is as relevant as el paso texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City