Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 08:33 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,693,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
im pretty sure the other four boroughs eclipses other cities out-downtown regions
^^^^^^^

even without manhattan ny cannot be compared to any other city.

also for the record, bk has more ppl than manhattan, queens is larger than manhattan and has more diversity, the bronx has the yankees. we're good. oh um...staten...

well...

*shrugs*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 08:34 AM

10,071 posts, read 9,841,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
No other U.S. city compares to NYC. LA does not. The only cities I've been that do are London and Paris.
All opinions, because I def. hear it the other way around.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
for your first comment i would like to say i agree cause im not a fan of public transportation neither, but the public transportation in ny is pretty cool something you just have to go on cause its so big.

as for your second you really did not answer my question though , you said take out manhattan as if every other city has city life in every single corner of the city which isnt true.

im pretty sure outside the center of baltimore, philly , l.a, and chicago their are some pretty plain areas, or rough areas so to say just take out manhattan and look at the other 4 boroughs makes no sense because you can do that for every city in america.
I have been on NY's subway.

And that is exactly my point. Sense everyone seems too think Manhattan is bustling with activity 24/7/365, if you take it out and compare NY to the rest of the country, things line up a little different.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:48 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,042,260 times
London's not even as big as LA, so I don't know why that would be a good comparison for NYC. NYC is as big as London and Paris combined. While cities like Tokyo and Mexico D.F. are too homogeneous to be compared to NYC. In that regard, the only city on earth that can really compare to NYC's size and diversity is São Paolo.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:52 AM

27,233 posts, read 28,308,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
All opinions, because I def. hear it the other way around.
Well, you'd have to visit LA and decide for yourself. Some people seem to like that suburban safari kind of thing. To me, big city = urbanity.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
London's not even as big as LA, so I don't know why that would be a good comparison for NYC. NYC is as big as London and Paris combined. While cities like Tokyo and Mexico D.F. are too homogeneous to be compared to NYC. In that regard, the only city on earth that can really compare to NYC's size and diversity is São Paolo.
Are you talking about size or population? London is twice NYs size are far as sq/miles are concerned. LA is also larger. Population wise, London has 1 million less than NY. Sao Paulo had 11 million people.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:04 AM

27,233 posts, read 28,308,556 times
The next closest U.S. cities to New York are Chicago, Boston and Philadelphia.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:07 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,042,260 times
Quote:
Are you talking about size or population? London is twice NYs size are far as sq/miles are concerned. LA is also larger. Population wise, London has 1 million less than NY. Sao Paulo had 11 million people.
I'm talking population. NYC has 22 million in its metro, LA has 18 million, London has 13 million, Paris has 10 million, Tokyo has 33 million, Mexico D.F. has 25 million, and São Paolo has 20 million.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:09 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,693,957 times
Quote:
I have been on NY's subway.

And that is exactly my point. Sense everyone seems too think Manhattan is bustling with activity 24/7/365, if you take it out and compare NY to the rest of the country, things line up a little different.
bk and queens are large enough to be in the top 5 largest cities in the u.s. i think like #2 and # 3.

so take manhattan out and keep bk, queens, bx and staten and ny is still completely different than the rest of the u.s. as far as diversity, the amount of ppl, etc.

it isn't like manhattan is 24 hours and the rest of the city is not.

also i have to agree with whoever said that taking out manhattan would be like taking out any major city's downtown area. why would you handicap a city to compare it to another city?

if you have to do all of that then the city cannot be compared, can it?

Old 06-08-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
bk and queens are large enough to be in the top 5 largest cities in the u.s. i think like #2 and # 3.

so take manhattan out and keep bk, queens, bx and staten and ny is still completely different than the rest of the u.s. as far as diversity, the amount of ppl, etc.

it isn't like manhattan is 24 hours and the rest of the city is not.

also i have to agree with whoever said that taking out manhattan would be like taking out any major cities downtown area. why would you handicap a city to compare it to another city?

if you have to do all of that then the city cannot be compared, can it?
It can only if all of its activity its in Manhattan. What im saying is whats the attraction to NY outside of manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City