Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you think Houston belongs more?
Gulf Coast Region 33 61.11%
Texas Triangle Region 21 38.89%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 01:01 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,800,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I'm just saying that each one of those areas are noticeably different from each other. IMO opinion the first 3 three or more or less affected by Houston while the others aren't. I agree that a portion of Mississippi is influenced by Houston, but not the coastal areas. New Orleans is like the midpoint. West of NOLA is flat swampy and connected to Houston, east of NOLA is hilly with pines and white sand beaches. The culture of coastal Mississippi is more like Mobile or Pensacola. I'd say that the portions of Mississippi influenced by Houston are those northwest of New Orleans. (yes, NOLA is east of the Mississippi River)
ehhhh, i kinda agree, but it's time for me to go to bed now lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 01:09 AM

635 posts, read 1,534,163 times
I don't know if someone has already said this or not, but without Houston in the TX Triangle: you have no triangle. It becomes a line segment.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:16 AM

10,138 posts, read 15,928,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Calif View Post
I don't know if someone has already said this or not, but without Houston in the TX Triangle: you have no triangle. It becomes a line segment.
ROFL- LOL! Yeah just the I-35 corridor that contains Fort Worth, San Antonio, Austin, & Dallas.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:30 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,774,892 times
As an outsider, I tend to link Houston more to New Orleans than Dallas or Austin or San Antonio.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:15 PM

624 posts, read 899,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
As an outsider, I tend to link Houston more to New Orleans than Dallas or Austin or San Antonio.
I guess I never really thought how an outsider would link Houston. It's Texan to me and 150 miles closer to SA and 100 miles closer to Dallas than New Orleans.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:42 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,120,855 times
Texas is geographically part of the Triangle, but  it it’s culturally much more a part of the Gulf Co ast. Anyone who’s experiencing this summer with me  will agree.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:07 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,255,770 times
I think Houston is more connected to the Gulf Coast due to economically similar industries and cultures. I see that it seems to be isloated form the othe TT cities.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:17 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,665,395 times
My question would be which is more powerful, and is Houston the swing on this?

My perception and this is only my own is that Houston is Texan which happens to be on the Gulf Coast. The aspects that have provided the growth to Houston are the same as those that fueled the dramatic growth economically to the rest of the triangle. Common element being the Texas pro business environment.

The Gulf coast benefits from the proximity to Houston moreso than Houston benefits from the Gulf coast cities. Houston in my mind fits strongly and is much more entrenched economically with the Triangle.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:23 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,789,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I think Houston is more connected to the Gulf Coast due to economically similar industries and cultures. I see that it seems to be isloated form the othe TT cities.
I agree, Houston seems more connected to the Gulf Coast cities like NO, than it does to the rest of the Texas Triangle. San Antonio, Dallas, and Fort Worth all seem more "Texan" than Houston does. Houston always feels like it's doing it's own thing. And Austin is it's own republic.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:38 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,928,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I agree, Houston seems more connected to the Gulf Coast cities like NO, than it does to the rest of the Texas Triangle. San Antonio, Dallas, and Fort Worth all seem more "Texan" than Houston does. Houston always feels like it's doing it's own thing. And Austin is it's own republic.
Yeah, Houston has a large international feel to it. Like I rarely ever do feel like I'm actually in Texas- except the month when the rodeo comes to the Reliant Stadium... that's about the only time I actually feel like I'm in Texas.

Otherwise it feels like a bit of every culture represented there, on the Gulf Coast. There are small areas on the East Side where it feels surely Southern, but those are minor areas. North Houston, South Houston, West Houston and Core Houston all have different vibes from each other. All come together for a pretty international feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City