Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2010, 11:49 AM

65 posts, read 149,043 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to either one of these places - Las Vegas, South Orange county beach area, San Diego or Los Angeles (Pacific Palisades), and I've been to all of them. Which would you consider to be the best if you had to live long term there? I'm looking for a place with alot to do and cost of living isn't really an issue. Rank in order of best to worst in your opinion and reasons why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 12:00 PM

450 posts, read 1,402,128 times
It really depends on your personality and what you are looking for. My picks would be:

1. Los Angeles: The big mega city of the West. Most diverse, most urban, most things to do, most activities... I personally love the diversity between neighborhoods and the unique feel between a place like Westwood Village to Hollywood full of its entertainment and nightlife to the funky vibe of Venice Beach to the luxury shopping of Rodeo Drive to the bargain hunting fun in downtown's fashion district. You have to get used to crowds though (I personally don't mind). L.A. is packed in tight. L.A. is relaxed for a big city, compared to New York or Philly for example, but very much the most on the go and rushed of the Southern California regions.
2. San Diego: Offers big city amenities in a smaller scale. Nice downtown area and beautiful beaches and waterfront. Much more laid back than the "glamor" that surrounds many neighborhoods in L.A. Not as many bad areas as well. Its a suburbs meet city vibe.
3. Orange County: Beautiful beaches and communities in the beach towns of South county. Very laid back, but also more of a snooty vibe than San Diego and more materialistic. Less into the "scene" than L.A. and more into possessions. Some small walkable downtown areas, but it is largely suburban living at the beach. Night life is very poor compared to L.A. or San Diego, less cultural amenities (people go to L.A. or San Diego often for museums, musicals, etc...)
4. Las Vegas: I don't like it personally. Poor climate, no ocean, too much gambling everywhere, raunchy vibe for nightlife, nightlife mainly for tourists and not locals. Beside the strip, Las Vegas is mainly stucco and suburban sprawl. Some nice places like Lake Mead are nearby, but otherwise geography is not even close to the beauty around Southern California.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:33 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,152,618 times
I would pick LA, but thats just because I like big cities. It also has the most to offer out of all of those cities.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:35 PM

489 posts, read 1,320,643 times
The only place that cost of living wont be an issue is Las Vegas. However, the job market is terrible here. Not that it's much better in SoCal. I have lived in LA area (though not Pacific Palisades), San Diego, and Las Vegas, and have spent a decent amount of time in Orange County. By far my favorite is San Diego.

I agree with a lot of what coo77 said. San Diego has a more relaxed and less materialistic (Orange County) and name dropping (LA) vibe. Anywhere in SoCal will have much better weather and prettier scenery than Las Vegas. San Diego has what I think of as the stereotypical Southern California beach culture. It also has a decent nightlife scene, since in the Gaslamp District there are many clubs and bars within walking distance of each other, and the beach areas have some nightlife as well. Most of the county is safe and clean, and there aren't super nice areas right next to ghettos like you find in LA. There's lots to do, and LA and OC are still close enough for a day trip. It's also not smoggy like LA, and although there is traffic, it is nowhere near as bad as LA. Cost of living is bad, but it's just as bad in LA or Orange County. The only other big downside is that jobs don't pay as well in San Diego as they do in OC or LA, so that can make the cost of living a bit harder to manage. I would still highly recommend San Diego though, since I feel that the quality of life there is unparalleled.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:39 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,943,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyD View Post
I'm considering moving to either one of these places - Las Vegas, South Orange county beach area, San Diego or Los Angeles (Pacific Palisades), and I've been to all of them. Which would you consider to be the best if you had to live long term there? I'm looking for a place with alot to do and cost of living isn't really an issue. Rank in order of best to worst in your opinion and reasons why.
Best to Worst on things to do:
- Los Angeles
- San Diego (Interchangeable with Vegas)
- Las Vegas (Interchangeable with San Diego)
- Orange County (Practically is Los Angeles- because it's in the same metro)

My favorite's in order:
- San Diego
- Los Angeles
- Las Vegas
- Orange County

Los Angeles- The city is large, plenty of beaches, plenty of professional sports teams to keep you busy, plenty of shopping places. Great museums and art galleries, has most big city amenities, very nice spread out city, lush green areas, mountains and entertainment. You can also go boating. Good dining options.

San Diego- The city is pretty large as well, home to the Chargers and the Padres, the city has a great mountain backdrop and great coastline view. Boating is rather fun, and the night life is a pretty nice. Sea World and the SD Zoo are instant hits. One of the best convention cities in the country, and tons of magnificent things to do and see. Good dining options.

Las Vegas- The Las Vegas strip, really good night life, and great gambling scene, great dining options and great hotels, but if it isn't night time or if it isn't in the Las Vegas Strip, then it's not really going to be fun, the rest of the city is a bit plain and boring. But you have a good setting, and the natural scenery is very nice too.

Orange County- Home to Disney and the Angels, what more could you possible want? Lol.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:24 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,229,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyD View Post
If you're serious about putting Las Vegas in your list, you should also add Phoenix-- it's part of the same "greater Southern California/ low desert southwest" region. You would probably want to look at the "north Scottsdale" area.

You say cost of living isn't an issue, and if you're considering Pacific Palisades I'm guessing you must be a multi-millionaire. I'm assuming jobs aren't an issue for you either. Being in such a financially "lofty" situation, why would you ask random people online what would be best or worst for long term living-- because for people like me, jobs and cost of living would be the #1 issue?

Old 06-08-2010, 09:11 PM

489 posts, read 1,320,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
If you're serious about putting Las Vegas in your list, you should also add Phoenix-- it's part of the same "greater Southern California/ low desert southwest" region. You would probably want to look at the "north Scottsdale" area.

You say cost of living isn't an issue, and if you're considering Pacific Palisades I'm guessing you must be a multi-millionaire. I'm assuming jobs aren't an issue for you either. Being in such a financially "lofty" situation, why would you ask random people online what would be best or worst for long term living-- because for people like me, jobs and cost of living would be the #1 issue?
That's true. I just realized that I misread the first post and thought it said cost of living was an issue. But since it's not, maybe the OP should ask which we would consider best to live in if we didn't have to worry about money and jobs. In that case, I'd pick either the Del Mar/La Jolla area of San Diego or somewhere in LA. Vegas would be off the list completely, since I can't imagine not living closer to the coast if I wasn't concerned about money.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:45 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,324,089 times
It's hard to disagree with anyone [esp coo77 & Kris000]

I love San Diego since I have relatives in Rancho Los Penasquitos who have a pool. There is no better place to play sports probably anywhere else in the country. The climate is so mild all year that outdoor living is a major characteristic. Many homes have outdoor living rooms and kitchen\bbq & even an outdoor fireplace. Great place to surf [beach & sidewalk]. Balboa Park\ San Diego zoo are treasures. This is "laid-back" California. But it is getting too big. It takes up to 60 minutes to get out of the city limits during rush hours. The San Diego metro includes a string of coastal towns all the way to Oceanside.

Orange County is where many people are wealthy and it's beach cities are really nice. Some of the best beaches in California. But it really is just a suburb of LA and lacks in some regards. Too close to Los Angeles to have much of a distinct personality and so opposed to urban living. Orange county has out-grown the ability for practical suburban living since the only land left are high foothills generally protected from development as conservancies or parkland. Orange county has a strong under-current of conservative\ evangelical narrow-mindedness and outright stingy\ boring people.

Everything has already been written about Los Angeles. The most diverse city in California that there is no real racial majority. Blacks are somewhat limited in numbers compared to Asians and Hispanics but every nationality\ culture group exists that going to Costco means never hearing English until you reach the cash register because Korean\ Russian\ Armenian\ Chinese & Spanish is what you hear. Lots of things to do and many offerings for entertainment [where you can attend a Laker game across the plaza from where live talent shows are being televised]. Liberal and strong unions, LA is one major reason California is a deep Blue state.

I don't know Las Vegas that well but think it is club-central for having adult fun. The pool parties are considered the best in the nation where women go topless and gambling is out on the patio [they heavily screen the sun overhead in the pool areas and actually pump in air-conditioning esp in the cabanas]. It really is a LA outpost\ suburb like Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City