U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: I choose__________as the Greatest and Most Diverse Architectual Gem in the U.S.
New York City, New York 39 70.91%
Los Angeles, California 16 29.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-11-2010, 05:23 PM

528 posts, read 616,410 times
I didnt read the last couple pages of posts, but I wanted to make one point regarding LA vs. NYC.
Regardless of the fact that NYC is older thus has more diversity of old & new architecture, LA still can't compete, because it just doesn't have the GEOGRAPHY!

West to east, it roughly goes like this: Ocean | Basin (where LA is centered) | mountains
-and where LA (the city) is, its all flat, there are no rivers running through it, its one landmass, Everything's just plopped there. Now I know that it sprawls into the hills and whatnot, but the core of the city sits in a flat basin.

NYC on the other hand was built on a natural harbor. It sits on three major islands (not including all the little ones like where the statue of liberty & ellis island are). Rivers & estuaries run through it. Some parts are flat, some are very mountainous. I think this natural setting gives NYC the advantage in terms of architecture. The bridges alone take the cake! Find me a city in the country that has bridges as majestic as NYC's!

-Some more subtle things are places like Riverdale (going up to Yonkers) where its extremely hilly, and rock cliffs jut out. GIANT buildings are built on those cliffs, and tiny roads wind thru them, giving the passer-by a very interesting view. Maybe that's not specifically "architecture", but I think the landscaping of the city has some architectural flavors to it.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City