Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I choose__________as the Greatest and Most Diverse Architectual Gem in the U.S.
New York City, New York 40 67.80%
Los Angeles, California 19 32.20%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 03:05 AM

725 posts, read 1,503,227 times

Advertisements

NY

I love LA overall, but the architecture in NY is banannas. It's just impressive seeing all those tall buildings one after another on that small island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 08:04 AM

87,991 posts, read 83,805,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
NY

I love LA overall, but the architecture in NY is banannas. It's just impressive seeing all those tall buildings one after another on that small island.
It's also very impressive seeing some of the old, smaller buildings, some of them tucked away on narrow streets. Here are a few buildings that I bet most non-NYers don't think of when they picture NYC architecture:

New York Architecture Images-Jefferson Market Library

New York Architecture Images- Hook and Ladder 8

New York Architecture Images-Grove Court

New York Architecture Images- Ritual Bathhouse

New York Architecture Images- FRAUNCES TAVERN

New York Architecture Images- St. Paul's Chapel (Episc.)

New York Architecture Images- Strivers' Row

And last but not least, a tribute to one of the small old buildings in this category that is no longer with us:

http://www.stnicholasnyc.com/?page_id=7
http://www.stnicholasnyc.com/

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 06-09-2010 at 08:13 AM..

Old 06-09-2010, 09:03 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,923,137 times
I voted NYC. So many additional things like the bridges, the parks, the buildings themselves that no other U.S. city can compete with.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:43 AM

515 posts, read 981,524 times
I think NYC wins, however LA is definitely underrated in terms of its late-20th century architecture.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:01 AM

27,240 posts, read 28,308,556 times
New York City, easily. I find LA's architecture to be underwhelming. LA is not well-known globally for its architecture compared to many other U.S. cities.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:10 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,392,168 times
LA has pretty good architecture...but it's worlds away from New York City. It's got the old, the new, and everything in between. I think Forest Hills Gardens in Queens has to be one of the most beautiful urban neighborhoods in the country, architecturally speaking. Those tudors are jaw-dropping...

Old 06-09-2010, 02:52 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,625,056 times
Actually, LA is internationally known for its architecture. I think some of you need to do a little reading up on the topic before coming to such quick conclusions. (I also get the sense that some of you have spent very little, if any, time in LA?)

LA's architecture is also very diverse; it, too, has the old, the new, and everything in-between, although admittedly it has less of the 18th and 19th century architecture. That's balanced by having some of the greatest variety of 20th century architectural styles, and not just modern. My personal favorites are not the big names and icons (of which there are many), but rather the more vernacular stuff like the restaurants in the shapes of food, the storybook cottages, that sort of thing. I do like the craftsman style, too, though, and of course LA is a dream destination for anyone who appreciates that.

The sheer variety of architectural styles has been great for the movie industry, of course; keep in mind that many, many of the movies and TV shows you watch, including those that are set elsewhere, are filmed in the LA area. The diversity of architecture available makes it easy to find somewhere to substitute for all regions of the country, as well as many international destinations.

Obviously NYC is also diverse, both in terms of world-class architecture as well as the more everyday stuff. But LA certainly gives it a good run for its money. Not surprising, I suppose, given that they're the biggest two cities in the country.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:56 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,801,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's also very impressive seeing some of the old, smaller buildings, some of them tucked away on narrow streets. Here are a few buildings that I bet most non-NYers don't think of when they picture NYC architecture:

New York Architecture Images-Jefferson Market Library

New York Architecture Images- Hook and Ladder 8

New York Architecture Images-Grove Court

New York Architecture Images- Ritual Bathhouse

New York Architecture Images- FRAUNCES TAVERN

New York Architecture Images- St. Paul's Chapel (Episc.)

New York Architecture Images- Strivers' Row

And last but not least, a tribute to one of the small old buildings in this category that is no longer with us:

http://www.stnicholasnyc.com/?page_id=7
http://www.stnicholasnyc.com/
Those buildings are everything I expected from NYC, to be honest.

Last edited by polo89; 06-09-2010 at 04:24 PM..

Old 06-09-2010, 03:24 PM

59 posts, read 99,321 times
Is this thread meant as a joke? Hopefully.

Last edited by MrWest; 06-09-2010 at 03:59 PM..

Old 06-09-2010, 03:49 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,392,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Actually, LA is internationally known for its architecture. I think some of you need to do a little reading up on the topic before coming to such quick conclusions. (I also get the sense that some of you have spent very little, if any, time in LA?)

LA's architecture is also very diverse; it, too, has the old, the new, and everything in-between, although admittedly it has less of the 18th and 19th century architecture. That's balanced by having some of the greatest variety of 20th century architectural styles, and not just modern. My personal favorites are not the big names and icons (of which there are many), but rather the more vernacular stuff like the restaurants in the shapes of food, the storybook cottages, that sort of thing. I do like the craftsman style, too, though, and of course LA is a dream destination for anyone who appreciates that.

The sheer variety of architectural styles has been great for the movie industry, of course; keep in mind that many, many of the movies and TV shows you watch, including those that are set elsewhere, are filmed in the LA area. The diversity of architecture available makes it easy to find somewhere to substitute for all regions of the country, as well as many international destinations.

Obviously NYC is also diverse, both in terms of world-class architecture as well as the more everyday stuff. But LA certainly gives it a good run for its money. Not surprising, I suppose, given that they're the biggest two cities in the country.
Could you show us some examples?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City