Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I choose__________as the Greatest and Most Diverse Architectual Gem in the U.S.
New York City, New York 40 67.80%
Los Angeles, California 19 32.20%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 05:47 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,731,083 times

Advertisements

No. Posting a few photos like someone just did does not prove that LA is an architectural gem. The reason why LA is not ranked high when it comes to architecture has something to do with its lack of architectural styles. LA architecture has some decent formalism, deconstructivism. art deco, futurist, mission revival styles, but it does not have a good collection/representation of other styles such as neoclassical, renaissance, gothic, victorian, prairie, bauhaus, art nouveau, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Once again, everyone seems to prove my earlier point, everyone dwells to much on the older, 19th century architecture, and discount other styles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 06:56 PM

30 posts, read 51,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
It's not just that some posters have never been to Los Angeles, it's also that they will never see anything besides New York City or their one track hatred for cities that aren't in their region. That goes in line with some of the posters.

Anyways, I thank Endersdrift for these, and yes some here need to be better visual learners:

And this is when you'll see a lot of people come out and say things like this, "well LA has great architecture there is no doubt, but it is not at the same caliber as NYC." I already call it, someone who has previously stated "NYC no competition" will now go back and try to redeem their biased ways by stating and "publicly trying" to give LA some props while shooting it down at the same time.

My reason for picking in NYC was the mass amount that can be visually appealing without having to search for it, it's a very subjective case, but I have before given Los Angeles props for it's architecture, so I never did discredit it.
Hmmm. You can find ALL those styles in New York City. And the juxtaposition between 19th century and modernism is one of the things that makes New York fantastic.

For example,

And on top of that, New York has the gorgeous 19th Century gems Los Angeles does not and will never have. New York has far more diverse architecture than LA. New York does modernism better than LA. New York does classic better than LA. It really is no competition.

Last edited by CapeTownSA; 06-09-2010 at 07:42 PM..

Old 06-09-2010, 07:03 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,813,415 times
I'm not sure how anyone could vote for LA in the poll, and I really am quite fond of LA. LA isn't necessarily bad when it comes to architecture, but it can't compete with a city that's been established as a major player as long as NYC has.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:50 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,593,445 times
LA is a ground zero for Mid Century Modernism and Post-modernist design. But it's a new city and doesn't have representative examples of 19th century styles like neo-classical Federalism or Greek revival and neither Neopolitan Second Empire like you find in NYC or Boston or Philly.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:26 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,673,852 times
lol at LA being an "architectural gem"... Oakland by itself is more architecturally diverse than LA, and I'm not just saying that because I'm from the bay. Seriously. This is one of those things that LA cannot win...

Old 06-09-2010, 08:29 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,028,827 times
Alright first I want to criticize OmShahi and somewhat every person here for not knowing what is going on. Half of the pictures OmShahi posted from me from the Southern Gem thread are not of Los Angeles. They are pictures of Miami and one was a mistake I had made in that thread and is in San Diego...

However, if we are talking Architecture anyone saying Boston, D.C., Philly, and San Fran are arguably higher on the list. No they aren't.

The list is ever evolving and currently I would have to put it at:
Tier 1:
Chicago, NYC, LA in highly debatable order

Tier 2:
Boston, Miami in highly debatable order

Tier 3:
Many other major cities like Houston, Philly, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, San Francisco, San Diego, Orlando, Atlanta to name a few

Chicago for a very long time was ahead of both cities but in recent times has fallen behind. Chicago's role in early 20th century architecture was far more significant than NYC or anywhere else in the world. Louis Sullivan defined the skyscraper. Chicago is doing an alright job keeping up with both but we'll see how long it lasts. I wouldn't be surprised if in 50 years Miami were up there with LA and NYC at the rate of growth its experiencing and Chicago might be closer to Boston.

And Boston's strength largely comes from having the 2 best architecture schools in the world. GSD and MIT Architecture.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:42 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,673,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Alright first I want to criticize OmShahi and somewhat every person here for not knowing what is going on. Half of the pictures OmShahi posted from me from the Southern Gem thread are not of Los Angeles. They are pictures of Miami and one was a mistake I had made in that thread and is in San Diego...

However, if we are talking Architecture anyone saying Boston, D.C., Philly, and San Fran are arguably higher on the list. No they aren't.

Tier 1:

Tier 2:

Tier 3:
Many other major cities like Houston, Philly, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, San Francisco, San Diego, Orlando, Atlanta to name a few

Chicago for a very long time was ahead of both cities but in recent times has fallen behind. Chicago's role in early 20th century architecture was far more significant than NYC or anywhere else in the world. Louis Sullivan defined the skyscraper. Chicago is doing an alright job keeping up with both but we'll see how long it lasts. I wouldn't be surprised if in 50 years Miami were up there with LA and NYC at the rate of growth its experiencing and Chicago might be closer to Boston.

And Boston's strength largely comes from having the 2 best architecture schools in the world. GSD and MIT Architecture.

Why would you say that LA has diverse architecture?

Old 06-09-2010, 08:42 PM

30 posts, read 51,172 times
Quote:

Tier 1:

Tier 2:

Tier 3:

So ridiculous.

LA and NYC / Chic highly debatable order? Is that a joke?

LA? (And I have nothing against LA)

Old 06-09-2010, 08:43 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,934,312 times
Quote:
Dude my bad! I actually got the pictures from you. And I thought they were your pictures of LA! Dang!

Lol, we all have our off posts sometimes. No wonder I never recognized a lot of those pictures from when I visited LA. Lol, in fact, I haven't even had the chance to see all of LA yet, just the tourist Hollywood and beach areas...

Old 06-09-2010, 08:52 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,028,827 times
LA, NYC, and Chicago is easily debatable. Chicago controlled and defined the modern skyscraper. Just because there are more in NYC does not mean it came first. Take a history lesson and look up skyscraper and Louis Sullivan. Then modern skyscrapers and really the land use of setbacks and creating first floor plazas was created also in Chicago by Mies Van Der Rohe. Compare his Lake Shore Apartments to the Seagram Building.

I just emailed the owner of this site to ask if I could post some of his pictures but in the meantime go take a look at Los Angeles architecture - its a lot more diverse than you all seem to believe. Just because its not a dense urban core like NYC doesn't mean it doesn't have significant, diverse (including historic), and wonderful architecture. Los Angeles architecture photo gallery - Buildings + more

Here is a similar site for Chicago architecture: All Buildings in Chicagoland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City