Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 11:39 AM

41 posts, read 120,745 times

Advertisements

Where's a good place to find a best friend when you're starting from zero?

I'm moving from Houston, Texas, and don't know anyone in Ohio other than my boyfriend and his family.

I'd like to have a best friend, preferrably a girl who's similar to me, late 20's, has a career and no kids (I don't know how to relate to mothers since I have no interest in having kids at my age).

I've been focusing on my career while living in Houston and haven't made any friends that I'm sorry to leave behind, mostly casual acquaintences from work. It's made me really miss my friends that I had during college and highschool.

I'm interested in mountain biking, the outdoors - is it wierd to post a note at my apartment asking for a jogging buddy? I'm not interested in bar flies or clubbing.

What do you suggest? I just want someone to confide in, talk about life, have fun with, and have a life outside of my boyfriend's circle of friends and family. I'm starting over in Ohio and would really like advice about what other people in the Cleveland area would think would be good places to start. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 12:04 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,283,509 times
My best advice would be join a club or two...or even a gym. If working out/outdoory activities are your thing, why not do them with other people with the same hobbies?

Here are a few groups off the top of my head:

Crooked River Trail Runners Crooked River Trail Runners | Facebook
Cleveland Plays (co-ed sports) Cleveland Plays: Co-Ed Sports Leagues in Cleveland: Volleyball, Football, Basketball, Softball, Soccer, and many other team sports.
Cleveland MetroParks Volunteer: Cleveland Metroparks - Volunteer
Cleveland State Rec Center: Recreation Center - Cleveland State University
Titan's Gym (classes: Kickboxing, Yoga, etc) www.titansgymcleveland.com/

There are also plenty of biking events/groups as well:

Cleveland "Critical Mass" Bike Riding Group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=3082935471
Cleveland Walk and Roll: http://www.walkroll.com/

Last edited by costello_musicman; 06-09-2010 at 01:11 PM..

Old 06-09-2010, 12:53 PM

Thanks for the quick, detailed info! I'll definitely be giving these a deeper look in the next month. For now, I'm busy with packing and preparing for the actual move to Ohio. It makes me excited to think about new people and new possibilities.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:02 PM

53 posts, read 144,436 times
What area are you moving to? Do you like to drink casually? Into sports? etc..

Old 06-09-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
What area are you moving to? Do you like to drink casually? Into sports? etc..
We're talking suburbia, near North Olmsted. I'm rather neutral about drinking. I've enjoyed red wines (from trying fine dining in Houston), and will have a beer if offered, but only ever one as I don't like the taste of beer. In all honesty, I get my high from being outdoors and working out. Beer is too many empty calories, but I understand unwinding and having fun once in a while.

I just don't feel a great desire to find friends that are big drinkers, if that's why you asked. As for sports, I love playing sports like volleyball, cycling and gymnastics (hehe, if you think it ain't a sport), but as for TV, the only sport I watch is wrestling. I like to see knockouts! I've been to some basketball games in Houston, and it was fun, but I'm not a crazy, hardcore fan.

I think finding a sporty girl as a best friend would be fun. Motivation is a huge, huge part of staying active and I'd love to find a buddy to keep me going when you just don't want to workout! But I want more than an exercise fanatic. There's a lot more I like to do.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:05 AM

13 posts, read 28,139 times
You might try www.meetup.com as well. You can search for all kinds of interest groups and find a lot of like-minded people. Have fun!

Old 06-10-2010, 06:17 AM

458 posts, read 1,223,302 times
People in Northeast Ohio tend to be fairly nice in general. Do not try too hard so that it does not seem as if your "coming on too strong." All you have to do is get involved in some sort of activity or club as the previous posters have said. Just be yourself and your best friend may be found when you're not even looking or when you least expect it.

On a side note, welcome to Cleveland!

Old 06-10-2010, 07:33 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Did someone say Volleyball?!?!

Cleveland Plays: Available Sports Leagues

Welcome to the Buckeye State!

Old 06-10-2010, 08:35 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,068 times
I live in North Olmsted, it is a wonderful community, you are going to love it!

Old 06-10-2010, 08:41 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
I grew up in North Olmsted. I hated it.

But hey... we are all different, right? Viva La Difference!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland