Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2010, 08:33 PM

25 posts, read 177,837 times

Advertisements

Hello. My fiance and I are driving to Chicago from DC and wanted to stop by either Cleveland or Columbus on the way for some extra sightseeing and bar hopping.

Which city do you recommend for both? Also, is either city unsafe for a night of walking around and checking our bars/pubs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 09:03 PM

50 posts, read 177,600 times
Why don't you come on down to Cintucky, I mean Cincinnati instead. Naw, I'm just kidding. I would recommend that you go to the best city in Ohio, Cleveland! This is coming from someone who lives in Cincinnati. There's more to do and see in Cleveland versus Columbus. Columbus is rather boring and bland although their nightlife is okay (better than Cincy's actually). I do not know Cleveland well enough to recommend places for you guys to go so I'll let those who live in the area chime in.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:03 PM

78 posts, read 324,217 times
I would say visit Cleveland. While in Cleveland you can check out The Westside Market, The Great Lakes Brewing Co. (both in Ohio City), University Circle (where several museums are located, like the famous Cleveland Museum of Art, which is free), Lakeview Cemetery (http://www.lakeviewcemetery.com/interest.html - broken link) (up the hill from University Circle/Little Italy) and visit the Garfield Memorial, Little Italy (go to dinner at one of the amazing Italian restaurants and maybe check out an art gallery or grab dessert at Corbo's, or a cocktail at Mia Bella's), then downtown and bar hop at the bars/clubs on East 4th or the Warehouse District (http://www.warehousedistrict.org/district/ - broken link).

The city is pretty safe (at least the areas I mentioned) and as long as you have your wits about you, you should be fine. Hope this helped and if you need any more information, just ask!

*Also, you could check out the Gordon Square area. While there, maybe catch a movie at the Capitol Theater (http://www.clevelandcinemas.com/cinemadrilldown.asp?intCin=2941 - broken link), grab a pint at Stone Mad, and admire the city skyline and lake views at Edgewater Park.

Last edited by andrew0816; 07-12-2010 at 09:12 PM..

Old 07-12-2010, 09:12 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,139,562 times
Cleveland. No, downtown is quite safe and there is 100+ bars/restaurants in the immediate area (Tremont, Ohio City, Downtown). And, you're from Chicago...you'll be fine.

C-Bus is OK, but there isn't a whole lot going on in the city other than High Street. Obviously, Columbus is a huge college town and that's what most of the nightlife is more-or-less geared towards.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:10 PM

Thanks for the replies. Looks like people are leaning more towards Cleveland than Columbus.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:37 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,608,445 times
I'd definitely chose Cleveland and start at E.4th with some dinner, then you can hit up all those bars. After that, head to the Warehouse District.

And what kind of bars are you looking for?

In terms of sight seeing, there is far more to do in Cleveland than Columbus -- which I'm not sure what Columbus has for sight seeing.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
I'd definitely chose Cleveland and start at E.4th with some dinner, then you can hit up all those bars. After that, head to the Warehouse District.

And what kind of bars are you looking for?

In terms of sight seeing, there is far more to do in Cleveland than Columbus -- which I'm not sure what Columbus has for sight seeing.
We like bars with interesting decor or maybe a nice patio setting. Not really into sports bars. Not really beer drinkers. Love us some cheap well/rail drinks.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:29 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,246,027 times
I'd say two areas for drinks:

Tremont/Ohio City:

TreeHouse http://www.treehousecleveland.com/
Velvet Tango Room -- Velvet Tango Room

Here are some other Tremont places: Bars & Clubs in Tremont | Metromix Cleveland

"Authentic Cleveland" -- Great Lakes Brewing Company Great Lakes Brewing Company: Homepages - "An Exceptional Family of Beers."

E.4th (Downtown):

Lola (Iron Chef place) Michael Symon: Lola and Lolita
Greenhouse Tavern The Greenhouse Tavern
Zinc (great outdoor patio -- live music Friday) zinccleveland.com (http://www.zinccleveland.com/ - broken link) Zinc Bistro could prove precious metal in Cleveland's Euclid corridor | cleveland.com

Old 07-14-2010, 09:38 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,246,027 times
With sightseeing, we can help out a lot. Just ask us before you go. Also, we can let you know if any events are going on...

Old 07-16-2010, 12:51 PM

227 posts, read 622,874 times
I have lived in both Cleveland and Columbus and I love both cities and now live in Toledo, so I am not biased. Cleveland has stunning scenery and a more developed cosomopolitan culture... it is on the middle basin of Lake Erie and is loaded with architecture and cultural attractions. Columbus hasn't completely grown into its "big city" size yet... it is more like a big small city, if that makes sense? Columbus is a little more friendly and a little cleaner. Columbus' Short North is chocked full of great restaurants and bars (and art galleries).

So, if that wasn't confusing... If I had to pick, I would pick Cleveland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland