Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 09:50 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboUSMC17 View Post
I also understand you all feel betrayed and I do understand why Gilbert wrote what he wrote, but he should have kept it to himself. Now unfortunately Cleveland has been tagged as a bunch of crybabies. I think as the owner who represents the whole organization, it would have been better for him to just say, "Hey, we're sorry he didn't choose to stay but we wish him well." That would have been the classy thing to do. Instead, he has embarrased a whole organization and city in the eyes of everyone else in the country.

Now I'm a Knick fan and really wanted Lebron to go to NY, but he made the decision he felt was best for him. IMHO, he would have a better shot if he went to the Bulls but I'm sure he didn't want to be in MJ's shadow for 5 or 6 years.

Lebron last season made it clear he wanted the Cavs to trade for Stoudamire. Instead they got Antawn. That was probably the last draw for LBJ. The organization couldn't provide him with a second stud to work with, and after Bosh said "heck no" to being traded to Cleveland earlier this week, it pretty much put Miami on top in his mind.

I'm sorry this had to happen to you guys and agree LBJ should have taken a different route in announcing it, but what Gilbert wrote was just childish and the whole franchise had lost respect in the eyes of many.
I enjoyed reading your take on the matter, especially the very telling point about the Cavs going for Jamison over Stoudamire...the mind boggles at how much better the Cavs would have been up front with Stoudamire, as opposed to Jamison...

I can't agree with you ALL the way on your take on Gilbert's letter, though...we agree that something should have been said, and everyone's gonna have their own particular spin on it

You guys (Knicks) will be much better up front with Amare, and if the ownership gets more folk to put around him, then the Knicks as a whole will be a load this coming year...as for the Cavs, and the city of Cleveland, we've been knocked down before, and we've gotten up each time and kept trying to move forward...I'll be interested to see how the Cavs will attack the problem of filling the hole LeBron left/leaves in the lineup, and I'll still be a fan...good luck to you, and thanks for your service
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 11:15 AM

389 posts, read 1,083,949 times
Very well said Captain!

Now let me elaborate a little. I am a Knick fan living in Miami. I'm trying to think of what Miamians may have done if Wade would have left. I'm sure there would have been many upset Heat fans. But up to the last minute, I really thought Lebron was going to throw everyone a curve and say he'd either stay with the Cav's or go to the Knicks. You all don't understand the buzz going around all day yesterday. "Is Lebron coming to Miami?" That is all anyone spoke about. I was hoping for the Knicks of course. In the end, all the speculation was correct and he chose Miami. Of course him coming down to where I currently live helps ease the pain of him not going to NY a bit.

I do feel for those Cavalier fans who feel betrayed by Lebron's actions but you need to understand his side. He is trying to win a championship and even took less money to try and achieve it. That in itself is one selfless act. However, I do not feel bad for those who are taking this to another level, including Gilbert himself. And if the Knicks or the Heat organizations would have done the same thing Gilbert did, I would have felt the same way, a sense of embarrassment.

But hang in there guys, things will be fine!!

Old 07-09-2010, 12:31 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,212,438 times
That letter was perhaps a bit much, but I'm glad that he came across as passionate for the team and the fans. On the bad side of things it might be a turn off to some players around the league. Dan Gilbert is a good owner and a self-made billionaire who puts his money where is mouth is. I can't say that I blame him for going off like this. Anyone who has closely followed the Cavs can tell you that Lebron has acted like a fickle, self-centered punk throughout this entire process. Maybe if he would have made more of a dedication to the team it would have brought in some better players over time, but instead he ran from the challenge. Gilbert pretty much did everything he could to meet Lebron's demands as a player, but in the end it did not work. If Gilbert has a flaw it's that he gave too much to a narcissistic player and it backfired on him. Lebron took the easy way out by going to Miami. In the process he also took away much of his clout as a player and an individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboUSMC17 View Post
Lebron last season made it clear he wanted the Cavs to trade for Stoudamire. Instead they got Antawn. That was probably the last draw for LBJ. The organization couldn't provide him with a second stud to work with, and after Bosh said "heck no" to being traded to Cleveland earlier this week, it pretty much put Miami on top in his mind.
Not true. The Cavs tried to get Stoudamire but could not get him from the Suns. Antawn was their second option.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:37 PM

285 posts, read 703,132 times
Gilbert said a lot of things that a lot of people in NE Ohio are feeling today. He was certainly intemperate, but I have to give him credit for one thing--we will move on.

LeBron who? Part of our past.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:55 PM

836 posts, read 1,492,664 times
I'm happy with Gilbert. LeBron showed his true colors by not informing the Cavs and his teammates of his decision before "The Decision" (gag me). Did we expect them all to remain silent? Now that the circus is over, the Cavs can finally get down to the business of preparing the team for next season.

I'm not angry with LeBron for leaving -- the man can do what he wants to do -- but I am angry with him for going on national television to kick his home state in the groin. At least now I won't have to watch his brilliant "I'm gonna dribble for 22 seconds and then toss up a prayer" offense any more.

Gilbert knows what he wants and seems determined to get it. The team will be fine. Go Cavs!

Old 07-09-2010, 01:21 PM

27 posts, read 76,675 times
I wonder if Kobe Bryant watched that circus on ESPN last night. I'd bet on the Lakers to beat the Heat if they meet in the Finals next year.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:36 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,175,378 times
Don't bet on it. There was and is a lot more here than LeBron James. Start with the CCF. Maybe you've heard of it?

Old 07-09-2010, 02:51 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
I always hated those "one star" teams anyway. Like the Bulls with Jordan. Then we became one. I begrudgingly followed along.
Here's to hoping we can get back to the style of Cavaliers basketball that, in my opinion, resembles something like the best Cavs team in history.
In my opinion our best team ever was not the crew we saw the past two years break the winningest record in the NBA.....
It was a team with 4 guys named Brad, Craig, Larry and Mark.
Y'know... the team that at least made it to game 7 of the semi's.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:11 PM

129 posts, read 346,451 times
Disclaimer: I am a proud lifelong Clevelander, and not a sports fan.

The only problem I had with the letter is that is was in Comic Sans.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:26 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
I doubt that is what he actually typed it in. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland