Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 06:20 AM

23 posts, read 53,831 times

Advertisements

Hi All -

My husband and I are relocating to Cleveland and we thought we narrowed our search down between Shaker and Lakewood. We had a chance to visit Lakewood over the weekend and it was not what I had in my head from what people described on here.

We do like the houses in the area and how close the lake is, but Lakewood was described to me as a booming town with lots to do and shops and restaurants... I would not describe it as booming.

I guess my question is what all is there to do in Lakewood. Are there shopping centers near by, whole foods, gyms, etc? A little more insight would be great. Thanks!

Krouse0807
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 09:18 AM

16 posts, read 36,689 times
Lakewood is booming on the weekend because of all the bars. As far as shopping centers, Crocker Park in Westlake is about a 15 to 20 minute drive from Lakewood. There will be a Whole Foods opening up in Rocky River in a couple years. I grew up in Bay Village and went to high school in Lakewood. If I were you, go to Shaker Heights.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:04 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,632,154 times
Booming? It's hard to boom when there is no room to expand.. it's nearly 10,000 people per sq mile. No.. it's just a very affordable, safe, and eclectic town. It has some 150 restaurants in the city limits, many of which are VERY good. There is plenty of shopping near by, just depends on what you want. Of course the city has it's fair share of grocery stores and stuff, but other shopping areas can be found in Rocky River on center ridge, Westlake Crocker Park, or downtown.

If I were you, I'd chose Rocky River over Lakewood. You should check out that area, it's still very affordable but awesome schools, a lot cleaner, great character, better restaurants, and less noisy college kids.

I'll certainly say this: there is more to do in Lakewood than Shaker Heights for sure. Not sure how you can dispute that. But look into Rocky River if anywhere.

Here's a quick look for food:

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8...ed=0CC0QtwMwAA

Gyms:

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=lakewood+ohio+gyms&fb=1&gl=us&hq=gyms&hnear=La kewood,+OH&ei=CwpOTJa9A4H0swOYkcXNDw&sa=X&oi=local _group&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CCUQtgMwAA

Bars:

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8...ed=0CCwQtgMwAA

EDIT: I'm not sure why it's only letting me hyperlink to one. Just google "lakewood ohio gyms" for instance and click on the map.

Again, Lakewood is a tightly packed area with a lot of little 'shops'. It's not the big box store type of area, it's a little urban for that. But those can be found relatively close. And I doubt you will find the kind of bargains on Lake Erie with those mansions in this recession anywhere else, assuming you can fork up the money to buy one of them.

Last edited by WeSoHood; 07-26-2010 at 04:21 PM..

Old 07-26-2010, 04:24 PM

Here is a good tool for food around Cleveland

http://www.urbanspoon.com/c/16/Cleve...staurants.html

Last edited by WeSoHood; 07-26-2010 at 04:39 PM..

Old 07-26-2010, 10:41 PM

420 posts, read 1,042,456 times
Default I just read ur first post

Lakewood is home to the type of homes u asked about , I really think
more info is needed from u as what u feel is a walkable area , U say not a
booming town , I agree ,but explain ur booming town thoughts .Lakewood is one of the first " suburban city's of Cleveland mostly built up by the late 1920's, As what is there to do There is Lakewood Community Theater if ur into the arts , Nature Bin Foods on Sloane Avenue
I may have missed it in all this ,the most important thing is where are ur jobs in commute time from Lakewood or Shaker Heights ? The automobile
really still rules here , by car u can find anything u need within 10 to 15 min. drive time , Lakewood still is the best walkable area , Shaker
one of America's first bedroom communities of this area ,u still need a car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krouse0807 View Post
Hi All -

My husband and I are relocating to Cleveland and we thought we narrowed our search down between Shaker and Lakewood. We had a chance to visit Lakewood over the weekend and it was not what I had in my head from what people described on here.

We do like the houses in the area and how close the lake is, but Lakewood was described to me as a booming town with lots to do and shops and restaurants... I would not describe it as booming.

I guess my question is what all is there to do in Lakewood. Are there shopping centers near by, whole foods, gyms, etc? A little more insight would be great. Thanks!

Krouse0807

Last edited by citydudeallover; 07-26-2010 at 10:47 PM.. Reason: add more

Old 07-27-2010, 06:08 AM

Thanks for all the insight!
A little more about us:
My husband will be working near Cuyahoga Heights. I will working from home and searching for jobs in the cleveland area (anyone know of any journalism jobs?) We're looking for up to a 25 minute commute no matter we end up. We are currently living in Cincinnati (Norwood, close to Hyde Park and Oakley if you're familiar) in a an older neighborhood (our home was built in 1912). We live close to a shopping center, lots of restaurants, a whole foods, fresh market, etc. These things are not walking distance, but only about a 2 - 5 minute drive.

When I was in Lakewood I guess I was expecting something similar from previous posts. I did notice the little shops, which are nice, but I didn't notice a shopping center/mall, grocery store alternative to Giant Eagle, etc. I'm trying not to sound stuck up or yuppy, but we're planning to stay wherever we move for a long time and I want to have as many amenities close by as possible.

Keep the comments coming, this helps so much!

Old 07-27-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krouse0807 View Post
Thanks for all the insight!
A little more about us:
My husband will be working near Cuyahoga Heights. I will working from home and searching for jobs in the cleveland area (anyone know of any journalism jobs?) We're looking for up to a 25 minute commute no matter we end up. We are currently living in Cincinnati (Norwood, close to Hyde Park and Oakley if you're familiar) in a an older neighborhood (our home was built in 1912). We live close to a shopping center, lots of restaurants, a whole foods, fresh market, etc. These things are not walking distance, but only about a 2 - 5 minute drive.

When I was in Lakewood I guess I was expecting something similar from previous posts. I did notice the little shops, which are nice, but I didn't notice a shopping center/mall, grocery store alternative to Giant Eagle, etc. I'm trying not to sound stuck up or yuppy, but we're planning to stay wherever we move for a long time and I want to have as many amenities close by as possible.

Keep the comments coming, this helps so much!
There is a trader joes, nature bin (in lakewood), heinens(stones throw from lakewood), west side market etc all within a couple minutes. Remember, Lakewood is VERY close to Downtown Cleveland and Rocky River, both of which have almost every amenity you would need.

West Side market is minutes away and probably better than any market in the state of Ohio. I think you were too keen on thinking everything would be in "Lakewood", but Rocky River is minutes drive, and has more stuff and shopping. Living in Lakewood now myself, I find that I am in Rocky River, Lakewood, Downtown, Tremont, Ohio City, and Westlake pretty equally. Which is why I love the area.

Go check out Rocky River and Crocker Park and see if they have everything you want. I can't imagine they don't, considering there is about the same amenities as when I lived in Washington DC.

Here are some shopping areas:

http://shopoldriver.com/shops.htm (broken link) - borders Lakewood
http://www.centroprop.com/PropertyProfile_long.asp?ProjectID=POHWESTG1 (broken link) - Minutes drive
http://www.crockerpark.com/ - In Westlake
http://www.naturesbin.com/ - Nature's Bin in Lakewood
http://www.heinens.com/ - much better than Giant Eagle, a lot of local food
http://www.westsidemarket.org/ - Best market in Ohio, one of the better ones in the nation
http://www.urbanspoon.com/ - Restaurants in the area. Cleveland is known to have great ethnic food.
www.crossfitcleveland.com - Gym
www.fitnessedgecleveland.com - Gym
www.fitworks.com - Gym in Rocky River

Old 07-27-2010, 04:04 PM

Great, thanks for all the info! Much appreciated, now if I could just find that journalism job, I'd be set!

Old 07-27-2010, 10:49 PM

258 posts, read 667,184 times
Default Shaker is much nicer...

I'm a former native who'll be moving back soon... trust me, you'd prefer Shaker to Lakewood, any day. It has everything you're looking for, from the sound of your post. GL with your home search!

Old 07-28-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoboulette View Post
I'm a former native who'll be moving back soon... trust me, you'd prefer Shaker to Lakewood, any day. It has everything you're looking for, from the sound of your post. GL with your home search!
Well actually this is a toss up for me because I hold water/lake/beach so closely to me. And the lake area of Lakewood is better than anywhere in Shaker IMO. It's just very enjoyable.. But I'd prefer Rocky River over both.

BTW, what is your housing budget OP? Are you looking to rent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland