Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2010, 09:35 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,415,471 times

Advertisements

Here's the data:

Akron city schools

Asian/Pacific Islander- 2.5%
American Indian/Alaska Native-0.1%
Black/African American- 47.7%
Hispanic-1.5%
Multiracial-6.6%
White/Caucasian-41.6%

Graduation Rate:78.3%

Cleveland city schools

Black: 70.06%
White: 15.38%
Hispanic: 11.46%
All other: 3.10%

Graduation Rate: 60.1%

sources:

http://www.akronschools.com/dotAsset/72405.pdf
Facts

http://www.cmsdnet.net/en/AboutCMSD/Facts.aspx

It's interesting to note that the Cleveland city schools website hasn't updated their graduation rate since the 2006-07 school year. Akron's data is for the class of 2009.

Another interesting point is the difference between the percentage of white and black students in each school district.

In the end, Cleveland's numbers were no surprise. I was surprised to see how well Akron's school district is doing, at least relative to other urban Ohio districts.

So what do you make of this difference? We have two similar cities in the same region of the country with the same issues yet one has a stronger school district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 10:03 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,212,438 times
No surprises there. Cleveland has a higher percentage of blacks and a higher percentage of ghetto areas within the city limits. White people do not want to send their kids to inner-city schools in Cleveland, or in anywhere else in this country for that matter. This is especially true of older cities in the midwest and northeast part of the country. For example I think Chicago's public schools are only about 10% white, and unlike Cleveland, Chicago has a substantial percentage of its inner-city population that is made up of higher income whites. Akron still has acceptable highschools schools like Firestone and Ellet that have not scared people off. Overall I agree that Akron does not do too bad in this area in comparison to other cites.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:23 AM

142 posts, read 355,049 times
I'm guessing they didn't update it because it declined (at least in 07-08). In that year it was 53% . Cleveland.com posted an article a little over a year ago that compared the Cleveland school district to other major school districts within the state.

Here's the article:
Conference to tackle Cleveland schools' low graduation rate | Metro - cleveland.com - cleveland.com

and the PDF that graphs the grad rate in each city
http://blog.cleveland.com/pdgraphics...2cgDROPOUT.pdf

Old 08-07-2010, 07:12 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,415,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
No surprises there. Cleveland has a higher percentage of blacks and a higher percentage of ghetto areas within the city limits. White people do not want to send their kids to inner-city schools in Cleveland, or in anywhere else in this country for that matter. This is especially true of older cities in the midwest and northeast part of the country. For example I think Chicago's public schools are only about 10% white, and unlike Cleveland, Chicago has a substantial percentage of its inner-city population that is made up of higher income whites. Akron still has acceptable highschools schools like Firestone and Ellet that have not scared people off. Overall I agree that Akron does not do too bad in this area in comparison to other cites.
So I'm wondering what it is that scared the white people out of Cleveland to such a high degree. My first guess would be the desegregation busing...I don't think that happened in Akron(which would explain Akron's high percentage of white students).

That's one of those political decisions where you just have to scratch your head and wonder what they were thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyes440 View Post
I'm guessing they didn't update it because it declined (at least in 07-08). In that year it was 53% . Cleveland.com posted an article a little over a year ago that compared the Cleveland school district to other major school districts within the state.

Here's the article:
Conference to tackle Cleveland schools' low graduation rate | Metro - cleveland.com - cleveland.com

and the PDF that graphs the grad rate in each city
http://blog.cleveland.com/pdgraphics...2cgDROPOUT.pdf
Yikes, that's horrible. Compare that to the predominately white suburbs where the average graduation rate is in the 90's. Interesting numbers...

Old 08-08-2010, 11:26 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,212,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
So I'm wondering what it is that scared the white people out of Cleveland to such a high degree. My first guess would be the desegregation busing...I don't think that happened in Akron(which would explain Akron's high percentage of white students).

That's one of those political decisions where you just have to scratch your head and wonder what they were thinking.
Yeah, I think that was the biggest problem.

Busing also happened in Akron, it just was not as destructive. I lived on the east side of Akron in Ellet for a while and noticed some kids being bused to that school. Ellet has practically no black people, but the high school is probably 10% black. I think most high schools in Akron are about 50/50 though, except for Buchtel which is all black.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:38 PM

8 posts, read 25,155 times
Desegregation was a big part of it. So was blockbusting by realtors, i.e. don't be the last white family on your block. The desegregation thing really bugs me. There was a problem, but the solution only made it worse. Can anyone say black kids in Cleveland schools are better off now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: