Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 12:09 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,173,361 times

Advertisements

Well, it can definitely be argued that he had the St. Louis offense playing well over their heads. Daboll and Mangini most certainly didn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 01:34 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,983,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flee to the Cleve View Post
I am not that happy either...

He was only 7-9 with St. Louis as a coordinator. Seems to me like the same old story. Hire a coordinator or someone with little experience, fire him in 2-3 years, repeat.

Seriously. Why do we need to be the organization where it's always a head coach in training. What is going on that we couldn't land a big name like Gruden, Cowher, or hell... even Schottenheimer?! I know, I know, Marty is old now, but I grew up in the 80s and that is my best memories of the Cleveland Browns! What a fun time it was to be a Browns fan! All we've been hearing since the Browns return, is trust_______________(insert who ever's name from previous regimes). Well, where has it gotten us? I put a lot of this on ownership for allowing this clusterf*** to continue! Say what you want about Art Modell, but he would have NEVER stood for us getting beat by our division rivals the way we have been. And he NEVER would have stood for our biggest most hated rival coming into our house and laying a 41-9 beatdown on his team while the rival team's fans take over our stadium! Not saying I want him back, by any means, but our new owner having more money than all of the rice in China has not equated to much success!

Old 01-13-2011, 01:54 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
A co-worker, a Michigan State alum, says Cleveland has won the 2011 NFL coaching sweepstakes.

Don't know much about the guy, so I won't pass judgement. Guess we just have to wait and see ...

Old 01-13-2011, 09:18 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,900,018 times
This will be an interesting year. I guess like all of them....

Old 01-13-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Seriously. Why do we need to be the organization where it's always a head coach in training. What is going on that we couldn't land a big name like Gruden, Cowher, or hell... even Schottenheimer?! I know, I know, Marty is old now, but I grew up in the 80s and that is my best memories of the Cleveland Browns! What a fun time it was to be a Browns fan! All we've been hearing since the Browns return, is trust_______________(insert who ever's name from previous regimes). Well, where has it gotten us? I put a lot of this on ownership for allowing this clusterf*** to continue! Say what you want about Art Modell, but he would have NEVER stood for us getting beat by our division rivals the way we have been. And he NEVER would have stood for our biggest most hated rival coming into our house and laying a 41-9 beatdown on his team while the rival team's fans take over our stadium! Not saying I want him back, by any means, but our new owner having more money than all of the rice in China has not equated to much success!
What are you talking about? Gruden and Cowher aren't interviewing and Schottenheimer hasn't coached since 2006. He's the only coach ever to be fired after finishing 14-2. Why? Because he couldn't push one of the most talented teams in the NFL over the top. Bottom line: Shurmur has a strong pedigree, knows what Holmgren is trying to accomplish, and was easily the best guy available for the job.

The only thing Art Modell wouldn't stand for was not selling out the old Municipal Stadium. Anything else was fair game -- including fielding many, many crappy teams himself. He also "stood for" more than a few beat downs at the hands of the Steelers. He also never won a thing (the '64 team was Paul Brown's, not his) and then moved your team out of town.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:46 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,900,018 times
Hell no to Cowher, and hell yes to Gruden! Gruden is from Sandusky, right?

Old 01-13-2011, 09:55 PM

Yeah, but he apparently doesn't want to coach this year.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:13 AM

458 posts, read 1,222,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Hell no to Cowher
Amen to that. Good coach, but he was with the Steelers for cryin' out loud!

Old 01-14-2011, 07:59 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,983,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
What are you talking about? Gruden and Cowher aren't interviewing and Schottenheimer hasn't coached since 2006. He's the only coach ever to be fired after finishing 14-2. Why? Because he couldn't push one of the most talented teams in the NFL over the top. Bottom line: Shurmur has a strong pedigree, knows what Holmgren is trying to accomplish, and was easily the best guy available for the job.

The only thing Art Modell wouldn't stand for was not selling out the old Municipal Stadium. Anything else was fair game -- including fielding many, many crappy teams himself. He also "stood for" more than a few beat downs at the hands of the Steelers. He also never won a thing (the '64 team was Paul Brown's, not his) and then moved your team out of town.

Again, I'm not saying I want Modell back. Yeah he didn't win anything, but what is the Browns playoff record since they came back? Yeah it was one and done in the 2002 season and close but no cigar in 2007. Look I'm just sick of the losing. I truly hope for the best with Shurmur, but it would have been nice to get a bigger name here. Who knows this guy could end up a diamond in the rough like Sean Peyton of the New Orleans Saints. Time will tell.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:51 PM

Who isn't sick of losing? And, that's the point...Mangini was 10-22. That ain't winning. If the Browns aren't at least a .500 team next year or a winning team the following year, the Holmgren experiment could be said to have failed. Until then, let's get behind it. It's all we can do anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland