Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2010, 10:46 AM

14 posts, read 16,872 times

Advertisements

Grew up in Chagrin and spent 2 years at Kent, currently in Baltimore looking to move back to Cleveland in the spring with my wife and 3yr old daughter. Though Chagrin has wonderful attributes that rank it high, we are looking for an area with a bit more "exposure" (culture). We seem to have fixated our search on Shaker Hts, but would like input from those who live there, have lived there, or are familiar with shaker. Also, will be working in downtown cleveland so RTA access may be useful.

I've read through many threads and there seems to be variety of contridicting opinions about Shaker's schools, neighborhoods, and safety. Seems the only common opinion regarding Shaker is that taxes are high (slightly higher than here in Baltimore City), and houses are architecturally beautiful.

Any input is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 11:09 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,255,306 times
I think you pretty much summed it up.

People's opinions vary on the schools, but as you can see, they have elementary schools that score very well: Shaker Heights Schools - Shaker Heights Ohio School Ratings - Public and Private

The high school has some very good "gifted" and AP programs, and there are some very bright students who attend there, as you can see: Shaker Heights, Solon lead Greater Cleveland with most National Merit Scholar semifinalists | cleveland.com

For Culture, Shaker Hts is probably what you are looking for. Generally very educated (numerous Cleveland Clinic, University Hostpitals, University Circle, CWRU employees live in Shaker hts), very diverse, and it is within 5 minutes/surrounded by Jewish Beachwood, Little Italy, Coventry/Cleveland Hts, and of course Cleveland's cultural center of University Circle.

Much of the housing stock is GORGEOUS, not to mention, surprisingly affordable.

Taxes are high.

Two Rapid train lines (Blue and Green) run through Shaker Hts and Shaker Square. Taking it to work everyday would be fairly easy.

Crime is highest in the southeast of Shaker Hts; however, I'm making a very general statement.

Overall, I think you will be pleasantly surprised by Shaker Hts. I'd recommend it, especially with what you described.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:04 PM

thanks for the input costello.......I've been focusing on the fernway neighborhood but the elementry school seems to rank among the lowest of shaker (though still seems decent).....is that a valid conclusion....any reason why? tia.

Regarding the RTA.....is it considered safe?

Old 09-13-2010, 10:47 PM

708 posts, read 1,808,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxavierf View Post
thanks for the input costello.......I've been focusing on the fernway neighborhood but the elementry school seems to rank among the lowest of shaker (though still seems decent).....is that a valid conclusion....any reason why? tia.

Regarding the RTA.....is it considered safe?

now thats strange because I read somewhere that Fernway was a good school...I was looking into it for my 2 boys....Im returning to ohio here shortly with my "idaho" husband and two children, lol....my husband will probably have culture shock, lol

Last edited by lisa12230; 09-13-2010 at 10:48 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 09-14-2010, 06:12 AM

458 posts, read 1,219,629 times
I don't ride RTA very frequently, but everytime I have used the Rapid, I have never once felt unsafe. RTA even has Transit Police to help with safety, but their primary function is fare enforcement.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:05 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,255,306 times
For riding the Blue or Green line to and from work -- you could probably have a laptop out and not worry.

Here's a map: http://www.riderta.com/pdf/maps/System_Map_Rapid.pdf (broken link) (Shaker Hts is the area were most of the Blue and Green line split).

Old 09-14-2010, 12:34 PM

lisa

Shaker Heights Elementary Schools - Shaker Heights, OH | GreatSchools

In no way did I mean to infer that Fernway was a bad school, just that it ranks at the bottom of the shaker elem schools, but honestly it doesn't matter too much imo. My daughter does not have to go the BEST school to get the BEST education. I imagine that there is little difference between the shaker elem schools. Sounds to me like Onaway is a bit too overly competative (see the parent comments).

Glad to see someone else looking to relocate to the Cleve (shaker). any reason why you are interested in shaker?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland