Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe in Clevelands renaissance ... will this city continue to emerge an ever prosperous me
Yes 21 75.00%
No 3 10.71%
It's likely 4 14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 06:59 AM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
Clevelanders take heart, your city is viewed far more favorably than most US cities way better than fast growing places like Atlanta or Dallas. Cleveland has always been seen as a very cultured city.
Canadians know of your renewal but it's also international. My cousin from British cousin and his new Swedish wife who were visiting us in Vancouver had heard of Cleveland being an excellent example of urban renewal in US cities. They said also that it had a good reputation as an arts and culture mecca.
Word is definately getting out an you are not as under rated or viewed negatively as you think.
What a pleasant and truthful posting regarding Cleveland ... I just entertainined some 1st time visitors from the greater Los Angeles area.

All of their pre-conceived "misperceptions" were shattered during their week long stay ...They were "blown away" by our cultural offerings, vibrant urban districts and "how much more you can get" for your $$$buck$$ here, as opposed to in SoCal.

I took them to PlayHouse Square ( nations 2nd largest theatre district ) ... our fabulous museums in University Circle,
and out for fine dining in the trendy Tremont district ... they were overwhelmingly impressed with their Cleveland experiences.

Some friends living in Berlin, Germany have also mentioned an article in a local media source that was touting the advancements
and ongoing renaissance in Cleveland ... so, we are gaining international acclaim and recognition.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 09:32 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,050,415 times
I am really interested to see the 2010 census data for Ohio in general, but especially Cleveland. Through the estimates data since 2000, it showed a continued population decline, but one that was slowing down. The 2008-09 decline was the smallest of the decade. As I have seen with other states and cities that have come out so far, estimates have been way off. We may see a big adjustment into the opposite direction for 2010. It would be nice to see Cleveland growing again. All of those new projects are certainly great to see. I think what is happening there is an example of what's happening in many northern, former Rust-Belt cities.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I am really interested to see the 2010 census data for Ohio in general, but especially Cleveland. Through the estimates data since 2000, it showed a continued population decline, but one that was slowing down. The 2008-09 decline was the smallest of the decade. As I have seen with other states and cities that have come out so far, estimates have been way off. We may see a big adjustment into the opposite direction for 2010. It would be nice to see Cleveland growing again. All of those new projects are certainly great to see. I think what is happening there is an example of what's happening in many northern, former Rust-Belt cities.
Yes, it would be interesting to register a noticeable "reversal" in this areas population losses ... something that is not entirely out of the
scope of reality.

Cleveland is certainly gaining new residents due to it's very prominent position as a mecca for healthcare and other life sciences.

Others are moving here, simply because of our vast amenities, cultural offerings, attractive housing and an enviable cost of living.
I see this city regaining so much ... especially if the renaissance continues over the next several years.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:43 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,281,289 times
Quote:
Cleveland city is going to show a loss from the 2000 census to the 2010 census...that's a guarantee. It's ashame because of all the work that has been done in the past 2-3 years. People are just going to see "population loss" and not realize the end of the decade the trend is on the complete brink of reversing. You are correct that 2008-2009 was the smallest percent and number decrease in over a decade.

I do, however, have a strong feeling that from 2009-2010 Cleveland has stopped losing population. There is even a small chance Clevleand with finally see a GAIN...which would be a incredible and needed morale boast for the people. After almost 60 years of population loss, the bleeding may have stopped.

Ironically enough, I was overseas for a couple months and missed being counted in the census for Cleveland city. When I had called, it was too late.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:51 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,050,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
Cleveland city is going to show a loss from the 2000 census to the 2010 census...that's a guarantee. It's ashame because of all the work that has been done in the past 2-3 years. People are just going to see "population loss" and not realize the end of the decade the trend is on the complete brink of reversing. You are correct that 2008-2009 was the smallest percent and number decrease in over a decade.

I do, however, have a strong feeling that from 2009-2010 Cleveland has stopped losing population. There is even a small chance Clevleand with finally see a GAIN...which would be a incredible and needed morale boast for the people. After almost 60 years of population loss, the bleeding may have stopped.

Ironically enough, I was overseas for a couple months and missed being counted in the census for Cleveland city. When I had called, it was too late.
Agreed. Cleveland has to start turning around it's population, and the 2009-10 year may be the best chance in years to see that happen. All of the development is great, but if people aren't there to appreciate it, that's still a problem. Maybe it's like the chicken or the egg. Does development make people move in or do people moving in cause development? Or both. If Cleveland has not turned a real corner already, I have no doubt it will between now and the next census. 2010-2020 will look a lot different.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:52 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,281,289 times
Quote:
Agreed. Cleveland has to start turning around it's population, and the 2009-10 year may be the best chance in years to see that happen. All of the development is great, but if people aren't there to appreciate it, that's still a problem. Maybe it's like the chicken or the egg. Does development make people move in or do people moving in cause development? Or both. If Cleveland has not turned a real corner already, I have no doubt it will between now and the next census. 2010-2020 will look a lot different.
Agreed.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
Agreed.

It's not a torrent of incoming people "yet" ... but, Cleveland is attracting new residents to its gentrified and renovated urban districts.
Our city centre population is now the 2nd largest in the midwest region, and with massive new residential and commercial development
and redevelopment ... well, the skies the limit!

Old 02-14-2011, 12:45 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Nice pics, I'm hearing Saint Louis is experiencing the same renewal...
St Louis would be more appealing to me than Cleveland.
I like the layout better. Reminds me of Lowell MA where I grew up.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:46 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,214 times
LeBron was a fool to leave there though lol.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
LeBron was a fool to leave there though lol.
Yes, he was ... and I believe that he realizes that with every passing
day.
Cleveland was so good to him ... he was practically a "saint" in this
city.

Still, life moves on ... and we're much bigger than any one person
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland