Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 08:57 AM

4 posts, read 11,002 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on city-data so I'll just give a quick intro

I'm a university student from Boston preparing to embark on a 6-month internship at General Electric (in Nela Park). I will be moving out to Cleveland end of December to get settled and prepare for work, which begins early January! Not knowing anyone from Cleveland, I was wondering if you all could provide me with some advice or suggestions as to where to live in Cleveland.

I prefer living by myself and here are some factors that might help you suggest a location:

-Safe location
-Rent anywhere from 700-1000/month
-Will have a car to commute to Nela Park
-Prefer young or upscale community
-Great accessibility to shopping, food, groceries, etc (general convenience)

I am open to other advice anyone might have for a 20 year old getting ready to move out to Cleveland (I'm originally from Los Angeles but study in Boston).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 03:50 PM

102 posts, read 198,723 times
nela park is in east cleveland so you dont want to live there. But in that range you should find a place close enough.

word of advice, the street Nela Park is on has notorious traffic camera's so dont speed. Noble Road

Old 11-06-2010, 03:51 PM

102 posts, read 198,723 times
try cleveland heights...coventry would be perfect for you.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:50 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times
Downtown might be fun for you also. That's about 15 minutes to Nela Park by car.

I concur, you do not want to live in E. Cleveland.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:29 PM

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the quick replies - appreciate it!

I've been doing some looking around some apartment listings and general reading on the internet and it seems that living on Euclid, Downtown seems like an awesome place to be. Thanks to street view on Google Maps I was able to see the beauty of Cleveland (along with various pictures on this forum), never thought OH could look that nice (no offense haha)!

Anyways, I definitely want to stay away from East Cleveland, just based off what my coworkers are telling me and past students who've been there. What are some specific areas or buildings downtown that might offer a convenient spot with some flexibility (I'd most likely need a 6-month lease). If anything, are there any resources I can turn to besides craigslist for apartment hunting in Cleveland?

Thanks so much,
David

Old 11-07-2010, 08:49 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,279,817 times
I'd recommend:

1) Coventry
2) Little Italy
3) Downtown

Good Luck with the move!

Old 11-07-2010, 09:22 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,279,817 times
Try W.T. Grant for Downtown. They may still do partial leases.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:57 PM

Hi costello_musicman, I did check them, they were one of the first I checked, but they said they don't have open units for me during the time I want it.

Any good resources besides Craigslist?

Old 11-08-2010, 08:56 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
http://cleveland.backpage.com/online/classifieds/index

http://realestate.cleveland.com/for-rent
(Click MORE SEARCH OPTIONS and you can specify DOWNTOWN

Old 11-08-2010, 11:57 AM

Hey everyone, thanks for the great replies.

I'm pretty intent on living in downtown Cleveland; I've been trying my best to find a place that is of decent condition, convenient, and overall a good place to live, but I've been scared off by negative reviews. Can anyone suggest some great districts within the Downtown area that are safe and good for someone young and looking for something slightly more upscale (specific complexes would be even better.)

I've been looking around and I found Reserve Square and The Bingham. Reserve Square has a nice price for a perfectly sized unit but the reviews on the Internet have generally been horrid - seems like management doesn't take care of the residents and the overall condition is bad; does anyone have any experience?

As for The Bingham, the location within the Warehouse District seems great but I don't know too much about the area and the reviews are very mixed.

My current price range is approximately 700-1100 (a little flexible thanks to GE's great housing stipend).

Anyways, I appreciate all the help and thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland