Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 08:36 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times

Advertisements

The average speed would have been about 50 mph, not 35. If people are having trouble swallowing the $400 milion price tag for this, why would they swallow the much larger price tag (by a factor of 10, I think?) for true high-speed?

Why are so many OK with spending billions in subsidies for road improvements, but throw a fit over spending millions for alternate forms of transportation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 11:02 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,279,817 times
And "Spending $400 million" is not even Ohio money. But it dosent matter now. It looks like California will get the federal money.

By the way, Cleveland to Columbus would have been a little over 2 hrs, close to 60 mph. Columbus to Dayton about 57 mph, and Dayton to Columbus about 57 mph. These stops make Cincy to Cleveland have an average speed of 50 mph.

Nothing wrong with napping, drinking, doing work along the way...

Old 11-19-2010, 11:27 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom11011 View Post
>>It can be sped up later.

It can be sped up now, take it back to the drawing board and come back with something realistic. Seriously, an average speed of 35mph from Cleveland to Cincy with all the stops? What's the point? Who does that benefit? What are the ridership projections? Nobody has even figured out who will ride it to see if it can even be profitable. You know the taxpayers of Ohio will have to subsidize this at the local property tax level like we do everything else (stadiums, medical marts, schools, RTA).

Your attitude is that is can be sped up later, I say it can be expanded later. Build it fast between Cleveland and Columbus first with that money, then add on Cincy later.
The 35 mph number is BS and anyone with the ability to do simple arithmetic should be able to figure that out rather quickly. The distance between Cleveland and Cincinnati is 220 miles. The current trains have a top speed of 79 mph. Do the math, if you're capable. Considering 4 stops at 20 minutes each, these trains will average between 50-60 mph with no real possibility of traffic jams or the need for extra fuel and rest stops with the added benefit of being able to do whatever you want to do along the way.

When I say it can be sped up later, I mean to a 90-100 mph average speed. But, that will take much more money. And, building it "fast" between Cleveland and Columbus is a $2 billion proposition. We can't even get the OH hicks to spend $400 million of federal grant money. How in the world do you expect to be able to raise 5x that amount from other sources just to build it halfway?

Old 11-19-2010, 05:41 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,628,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
Unless gas is $45 bucks a gallon, and the stupid train is like a buck fifty round trip, no one will ride this BOONDOGGLE! Much like the diversity debate, neither side will budge, so I will not argue further. But I will laugh in your face if the train does go forth, and then in 7 years has no one riding it and shuts down. Look at the Waterfront line that the RTA runs in Cleveland, I bet you forgot about that one.
You were arguing? Wow, wouldn't even of guessed. That's the route you had planned on taking this discussion?

Ok, well I laugh at Ohio now when every other state continues to see huge ridership rates on their states' rail. $45 a gallon?! People are already bi****** at the fact that gas is already $3 a gallon....

Old 11-19-2010, 05:43 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,628,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I blame it on a lack of education on the subject and in General......certain parts of this country are passing up sweet deals and economic generators without even realizing it.
Exactly!

Old 11-20-2010, 09:43 AM

389 posts, read 804,042 times
Wrong again. Where's your lack of education now pal?
http://www.cleveland.com/open/index....dogs_supp.html

You are spewing disinformation with 45-50mph claims.

Then you go on to act like the $400 million from the federal government is all it will ever need to operate this train. Ohio tax payers will have to foot the bill when this stinky turd has to carry a loss year after year because nobody in there right mind wants to travel to cincy at 39mph.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:58 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:

Then you go on to act like the $400 million from the federal government is all it will ever need to operate this train. Ohio tax payers will have to foot the bill when this stinky turd has to carry a loss year after year because nobody in there right mind wants to travel to cincy at 39mph.
Its not going to be 39mph, even for an Average. Thats too low , more like 80-90mph average with 110mph max. Even the commuter line near me averages 50mph. There are some rules stating that it must average above a certain speed. Most Amtrak trains average 60mph , so i don't see how this would be any different. If the line is built right it can operate on profit like the lines in the Northeast do. BTW i'm a Rail Fanner / blogger so i'm not wrong....

Old 11-20-2010, 10:10 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
Quote:

Perhaps you should get your information directly from the source? http://freepdfhosting.com/38fe6d024a.pdf (broken link)

It's estimated that it will only cost about $17 million to operate per year. This is a drop in the bucket when you consider the "loss" Ohio's roads and highways generate each year.

Sorry N4J, it really wouldn't be that fast... not in the beginning.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:16 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Perhaps you should get your information directly from the source? http://freepdfhosting.com/38fe6d024a.pdf (broken link)

It's estimated that it will only cost about $17 million to operate per year. This is a drop in the bucket when you consider the "loss" Ohio's roads and highways generate each year.

It wouldn't be 39mph , thats outrageous.....more like 60mph.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:26 PM

389 posts, read 804,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post

$17 million is an impressive number, but we know that figure will baloon to double that, like it always does in Ohio. Then, nobody will ride it and it will operate at a staggering loss.

"During nearly 50 years of no passenger rail service along the 3C route in Ohio, the pent-up demand of ridership supporters claim is there, has not made itself known."
LaHood to Kasich: high-speed train funds only for Ohio's slow-speed 3C train - Columbus Government | Examiner.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland