Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2010, 09:16 PM

11 posts, read 21,645 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
I appreciate any suggestions for a route from Westlake to Cleveland Clinic main campus for the snow days, excluding highways. My GPS suggests Lake Rd (US6). How is this road in the winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 09:08 AM

16,483 posts, read 19,531,968 times
Yea, you could take Lake. Lake, Lorain, Center Ridge... as long as you make it to Euclid when you get downtown, all those roads will get you there.

"How is this road in the winter?"
That really depends on a lot of factors. It is impossible for anyone to tell you "Road A is better during a snowstorm then Road B is...."
Any city street, though, will be safer then freeways during a bad snowstorm based on lower speed limits and less morons.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:54 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,148,702 times
I would add that, with Route 6, you can link up with Route 2 and 20 going into downtown and that this is a freeway (albeit 50 MPH). It can be exited at Lakeside Ave which runs parallel with Superior Avenue (also Route 6). Then follow the description below.

Route 6 eventually becomes Detroit Avenue and then Superior Avenue. When downtown, you would want to take one of the "E" roads (E. 9th and beyond) north and then go east on Chester Avenue (Route 322). Euclid will get you there, but the single lane/Healthline system running along it makes things a little messy. Essentially, Chester, Euclid, Cedar, or Carnegie Avenues will get you to CCF from Downtown. My recommendation is Chester as it is usually the least congested when going out there. My second route suggestion would be Lorain to Carnegie (the road name changes when you cross the Hope Memorial Bridge). It is usually very busy in the morning, though.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:42 PM

Default Thank you for the suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yea, you could take Lake. Lake, Lorain, Center Ridge... as long as you make it to Euclid when you get downtown, all those roads will get you there.

"How is this road in the winter?"
That really depends on a lot of factors. It is impossible for anyone to tell you "Road A is better during a snowstorm then Road B is...."
Any city street, though, will be safer then freeways during a bad snowstorm based on lower speed limits and less morons.
What I meant by "How is this road in the winter?" was in regards to plowing/salting. I believe this road runs by the lake, so I was wondering if they can keep up with the snow. I am brand new to the area, and I heard that certain places such as the "Dead man's curve" (sorry if I mispelled) gets pretty bad and messy, and should be avoided. I am concerned because I have a little car, so I have to take nice and easy.
Thanks again!

Old 11-18-2010, 07:27 AM

16,483 posts, read 19,531,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibiscus17 View Post
What I meant by "How is this road in the winter?" was in regards to plowing/salting.
I know what you meant. But there is just no way to really predict how good a road will be. Sometimes it will be in perfect conditions and other times it will be a white snowy mess.
But generally speaking, in the worst conditions, it is generally safer to drive on any city street.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I know what you meant. But there is just no way to really predict how good a road will be. Sometimes it will be in perfect conditions and other times it will be a white snowy mess.
But generally speaking, in the worst conditions, it is generally safer to drive on any city street.
Yes, it makes sense. Thanks again!

Old 11-19-2010, 10:13 PM

708 posts, read 1,808,466 times
i agree...stay on the side roads and leave home early.....

Old 11-25-2010, 08:19 AM

23 posts, read 82,885 times
Lake Rd./Rte. 6 is just fine in the winter; I take it every time I need to get into Cleveland in the winter and I'm coming from Avon Lake (2 cities farther West from Westlake). They do a great job of keeping it plowed and salted; no worries!

Old 11-26-2010, 04:36 PM

102 posts, read 198,087 times
the side roads could be the worst way to go in a snowstorm because they plow and salt the main ones first

Old 11-27-2010, 11:29 AM

129 posts, read 345,265 times
Lake Road is usually better plowed than I-90, but be careful if you continue on the Shoreway. I get VERY nervous on icy days because of the narrow-ish lanes, curves, and cement walls.
I'd take Lake all the way to Detroit (keep going at Don's Lighthouse instead of turning onto the Shoreway, the next main street is Detroit.) Detroit, while only 25 mph, if kept clear because it's a major bus route. Take that into downtown, and cut over to Superior if Euclid is too busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: