Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 03:53 PM

4,068 posts, read 7,276,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPierogiPazza View Post
The East Side is more East Coast in that things move a little faster and people can be more direct/aggressive (depending on your point of view), and parts of the East Side have the mix of arts, culture and population density that I associate with the East Coast. Many areas are more racially integrated than across town, and certainly there is a much bigger Jewish community on the East Side, with only one synagogue on the West Side.

I find the West Side to generally be friendlier and even more polite, and I have noticed many times that people even drive a little more slowly and are less likely to lean on the horn if you don't go through a green light the instant it turns green. That may sound crazy, but I saw it consistently during several years of going back and forth between the two Sides on a daily basis.
Great assessment. I think you nailed it and answered the question I posed in my previous post. As a lifelong West Sider (before I moved to Chicago), I always did notice that the East Side seemed generally faster-paced, and more reserved and less friendly than the West Side. People were polite enough but not "folksy" like West Siders. A bit more snobbish, perhaps. And during jaunts to the East Side, I definitely noticed that drivers were faster and more aggressive. The two sides of town were almost like two different cities.

My mom used to say that the East Side was more like a big city, whereas the West Side was more like a small town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPierogiPazza View Post
I worked in bookstores in Beachwood, Shaker Square, Rocky River and Strongsville some years ago, which was an interesting way to compare and contrast local culture. Beachwood customers bought interesting books but could be demanding and obnoxious, where Strongsville customers were the nicest but sections like art and philosophy got pretty dusty. Rocky River customers were somewhere between the two.
Yep, I can definitely see that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 06:29 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,358,250 times
clevelander17, i thought that line in my basement was to keep your "east-coast blow-up dolls" seperated from your "midwest blow-up dolls".. just come get them, your secret is out. im erasing the line.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:46 PM

73 posts, read 171,310 times
Clevelander17 and McPierogi are on point. Cleveland sits on the transition between two regions of the country.

Inside Ohio you can travel to three or maybe even four regions of the COUNTRY , not just the state (the only other state I can think of that could say the same is Texas, which is much bigger in size). There's a reason why politicians are here every four years.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:15 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,611,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Oh goodness, where to begin? The eastside is by far much more diverse (though most Hispanics live on the westside). Also, the best school districts on the eastside are far superior to the best on the westside, but the worst school districts on the eastside are also worse than anything on the westside. The eastern suburbs also tend to have higher taxes to fund their schools. The best private, independent schools are also on the eastside, and both sides have a number of good Catholic schools. Culturally speaking, the eastside has more of an east coast/New England feel, while the westside is more midwestern in character.

This is all very generally-speaking, of course, and just one man's opinion.

By the way, I've lived on the eastside (the Heights area) for the duration of my time in Cleveland, but I've been thinking about getting a place in Lakewood. Not sure if there is any other part of the westside in which I could see myself residing.
I'd actually go with the opposite. I lived in Ohio City for a while and it was about 1/3 White, 1/3 Puerto Rican, and 1/3 Black. Not too mention the Arabics spread entirely throughout the Westside.

I just don't get the "Small town" feel in West Park, Ohio City, Tremont, Lakewood, Rocky River, etc.. But I do get it in areas like Wickliffe, Mentor, Painesville, Chagrin Falls, etc all those areas.

TBH, East Siders know little about the westside and it's pretty clear from this forum.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:07 PM

708 posts, read 1,807,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesohood View Post
i'd actually go with the opposite. I lived in ohio city for a while and it was about 1/3 white, 1/3 puerto rican, and 1/3 black. Not too mention the arabics spread entirely throughout the westside.

I just don't get the "small town" feel in west park, ohio city, tremont, lakewood, rocky river, etc.. But i do get it in areas like wickliffe, mentor, painesville, chagrin falls, etc all those areas.

Tbh, east siders know little about the westside and it's pretty clear from this forum.

:d:d

Old 11-30-2010, 08:39 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,358,250 times
wesohood, well said.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:31 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,407,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
TBH, East Siders know little about the westside and it's pretty clear from this forum.
Or maybe there's just some obvious differences between the East and West side and neither side of town quite understands the other.

The East side definitely has the most upscale neighborhoods. Just off the top of my head, I searched 3 affluent areas on the East side and found the Median household income in 2008.

Pepper Pike- $150,440
Gates Mills- $150,766
Hunting Valley-over $225,690

I don't think any suburbs on the west side can match that.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:36 PM

708 posts, read 1,807,730 times
I always thought it was cheaper to live on the east side..Is that still the case???

Old 11-30-2010, 06:52 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,611,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
Or maybe there's just some obvious differences between the East and West side and neither side of town quite understands the other.

The East side definitely has the most upscale neighborhoods. Just off the top of my head, I searched 3 affluent areas on the East side and found the Median household income in 2008.

Pepper Pike- $150,440
Gates Mills- $150,766
Hunting Valley-over $225,690

I don't think any suburbs on the west side can match that.
Those suburbs also have a combined population of about 6,000 people. While there aren't individual cities with those numbers on the west side, more than enough wealthy people are spread out in from
Rocky River($94,000 for 20,000 people),
Bay Village($70000 for 16,000),
Westlake($90,000 for 32,000),
Avon ($75,000 for 12,0000)
Avon Lake($98,000)
etc... I'd say in general, the west sides wealth is pretty evenly spread out through every area compared to the east.

But I could really careless about that statistic, as it doesn't affect me personally and had nothing to do with my response. But yeah, I just think this thread is fully of generalizations that just kind of annoy me. No worries though

Old 11-30-2010, 07:26 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,407,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post

But I could really careless about that statistic, as it doesn't affect me personally and had nothing to do with my response. But yeah, I just think this thread is fully of generalizations that just kind of annoy me. No worries though
I should have been more clear. The statistics about average income weren't a response to your post. I was simply confirming what others have said about the higher end cities on Cleveland's east side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland