Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 08:04 PM

30 posts, read 73,176 times

Advertisements

If you have kids, stay away from the city limits of Cleveland. The actual city of Cleveland is really for young people downtown or blacks on welfare everywhere else. Really, the suburbs are the way to go. If you are looking for a more middle class neighborhood, try Mayfield Heights or Beachwood. Mayfield Heights is an Italian neighborhood on the east side and has mostly smaller middle class homes. Beachwood, also on the east side, is pretty much "The Little Israel" of Cleveland. Beachwood is probably one of the best cities to live in because one it's all Jewish, and two because the city it self holds most of the things to do on the east side, such as Beachwood Place (The East side's best mall), Legacy Village (Directly across the mall, it is an outdoor "plaza" with restaurants, high class stores and a center grass area for concerts), some of the best restaurants in Cleveland such as Red Steakhouse, and plenty of other things. But one neighborhood that tops them all is Solon. Solon was voted the 3rd best city in America. And not for no reason. One, Solon has the best public schools in Ohio, also including a private Christian school. Two, Solon has one of the most diverse citizens. It is 70% white, 10% black, 10% asian and 10% other. It is 100% safe and has the best looking houses in Cleveland. Solon is a little bit more expensive, with an average house price of $325,000, but it also has smaller houses for about $250,000. You really can't find anything cheaper. Solon also has more expensive houses, some selling for over two million dollars. I recommend you choose of the three cities of Mayfield Heights, Beachwood and Solon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 10:19 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,372,717 times
^the italians have moved on and reolaced with russians regarding mayfield hts. beachwood is nothing soecial other than having good shopping choices. Solon, hardly the best city/suburb unley you enjoy far out suburban living and its very boring.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:19 AM

750 posts, read 1,064,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reretarf View Post
But one neighborhood that tops them all is Solon. Solon was voted the 3rd best city in America. And not for no reason. One, Solon has the best public schools in Ohio, also including a private Christian school. Two, Solon has one of the most diverse citizens. It is 70% white, 10% black, 10% asian and 10% other. It is 100% safe and has the best looking houses in Cleveland. Solon is a little bit more expensive, with an average house price of $325,000, but it also has smaller houses for about $250,000. You really can't find anything cheaper. Solon also has more expensive houses, some selling for over two million dollars. I recommend you choose of the three cities of Mayfield Heights, Beachwood and Solon.
I heard about Solon. So, considering my wife and I would have to commute to Ashland for work, I think that commute is too brutal, right?

Old 12-13-2013, 11:52 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Solon is one of the most boring cities in the country too.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:49 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
reretarf's post was horrible. I wasn't even going to bother with replying to that rubbish.

Solon to Ashland would be an hour minimum. Not my idea of a "good commute".

Personally if I was planing to work in Ashland for a long time I wouldn't consider anywhere in Cuyahoga County. I'd be looking at the Akron area or even somewhere much closer.
Wooster, Mansfield, Medina with Medina being a top pick. Then towards Akron: Cuyahoga Falls, Mogadore, Copley, Barberton.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:02 PM

750 posts, read 1,064,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
reretarf's post was horrible. I wasn't even going to bother with replying to that rubbish.

Solon to Ashland would be an hour minimum. Not my idea of a "good commute".

Personally if I was planing to work in Ashland for a long time I wouldn't consider anywhere in Cuyahoga County. I'd be looking at the Akron area or even somewhere much closer.
Wooster, Mansfield, Medina with Medina being a top pick. Then towards Akron: Cuyahoga Falls, Mogadore, Copley, Barberton.
Thanks for your post. I have been told Medina is my best bet too, still very affordable, great schools and reasonable commute to Ashland, while not too far from Cleveland. People claim if we live south near I-71, which happens to have the best elementary school too, the commute is 30 minutes. Not bad. I liked Wooster too, but I think Medina is a much better town. Mansfield is a little too far from Cleveland and I have heard mixed opinions about their schools. Any other suggestions?

Old 12-22-2013, 11:50 AM

220 posts, read 321,645 times
Cleveland State is raising its standards come fall 2014. A 3.0 will become the standard for students as they try and cater to 4 year full time students coming right out of High School. Trust me the school is making a lot of changes for the better and is why I'm proud to be a viking.

I live downtown and haven't had any bad experiences (knock on wood). Since you have a kid I know there are some good daycares not too far from the school. CSU has one, but I hear the management sucks. As far as schools go, I'd suggest Campus International.
Campus International School - Cleveland State University
Campus International School - Cleveland, Ohio - OH - School overview

Its affiliated with CSU and yes, it is a Cleveland City school. However this school is different, for one they teach Mandarine right when they start school so the kids are fluent by 8th grade. This place is constantly growing and the waiting list is really large. If you do consider it register your child ASAP.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:18 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
Thanks for your post. I have been told Medina is my best bet too, still very affordable, great schools and reasonable commute to Ashland, while not too far from Cleveland. People claim if we live south near I-71, which happens to have the best elementary school too, the commute is 30 minutes. Not bad. I liked Wooster too, but I think Medina is a much better town. Mansfield is a little too far from Cleveland and I have heard mixed opinions about their schools. Any other suggestions?
If you are going to work in Ashland, move to Ashland...it's a good town...I'd much rather live close to my job which I would commute to every day than have a long commute w/ high gas prices...w/ a family I'd especially want to be home as fast as possible. You can still get to Cleveland in an hr or a little less for a weekend trip.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:00 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,389,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
I heard about Solon. So, considering my wife and I would have to commute to Ashland for work, I think that commute is too brutal, right?
if you have to work in Ashland you might consider Lexington, OH. Very safe area, very good schools. Lower cost real estate. Lots of outdoor activity-2 ski resorts nearby, Clearfork & Pleasant Hill Lake, Mohican State Park. 30 min. commute to Ashland via mostly I-71 interstate with minimal traffic.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:22 AM

79 posts, read 144,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arselan View Post
Hi All

I am planning to move to Cleveland with my wife to study in Cleveland State University I am really worried about the safety of my family so please advice should I moved there or try another university like Iowa State University

Thanx
Because I have kids, I have to chime in on this one. Do not live near CSU. It is ghetto, and while the murder rate in Cleveland might be down, there is plenty of risk of armed robbery, assault, rape, and any other heinous crime committed by various gang member or vagrant low lifes who roam around downtown. If you want to attend CSU, choose for your family to live in beachwood or beyond, and commute to school during the day. Otherwise, strongly consider a school in a small college town, or a safer urban area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland