U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-25-2010, 12:56 PM

709 posts, read 893,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmalmstrom View Post
I was born and raised in Cleveland and left in the late 80's at 30 years old. I was in Florida for 20 some years and came back last November. I was absolutely stunned to see the downtown area. It is absolutely breathe-taking! The beautiful thing about Cleveland and it's people is their resilience. I was here when the Flats was nothing but Steel Mills and factories and watched the transformation from industry to a nightlife mecha and am still seeing transformation...Ohio City, the Westside Market, the museums, the ethinic communities, and best of all on gameday you can walk into any bar and experience the love that Clevelanders have for their sports teams. I love the feeling of "community" and "family" here. Florida sucked!! I am home and I am never leaving. Cleveland, I forgive you for not being the perfect city BUT you are the perfect City for me!

That is soooo wonderful....I feel the same way about where I am now..Im moving back to cleveland in the summer..I always tell people the grass is NOT always greener on the other side...I learned that the hard way
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 12:03 PM

3,284 posts, read 2,736,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
The OP just asked for reasons for negativity and I gave a bunch. Everyone I have worked with at the VA that has came from CCF said they hated working there, and I know of few people who like working there. Again that is just what I have heard (albeit from numerous people) The CCF is in the hood, you cannot question that. There are few places on the east side in the city proper that are not in the hood.
Are they doctors or candy-stripers? My aunt and uncle (both practitioners) really enjoy working there.

CCF is not in the 'hood. Neither is UH, University Circle, Severance Hall, Little Italy, Coventry, etc.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:44 PM

58 posts, read 76,735 times
Coventry is not 'in the city proper', which is what the post you responded to was talking about. It's in Cleveland Heights.

UH and Severance are in University Circle.

So your list seems kind of padded.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:03 PM

1,275 posts, read 2,228,618 times
Yeah every single place you named besides CCF is not even in Cleveland. CCF is in the hood. Would you move your family to a house on say E. 85th, off a side street opposite Chester?

Old 12-26-2010, 04:04 PM

2,554 posts, read 3,736,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
I guess Lebron leaving also comes with this package. LOL
Coming from someone in BALTIMORE!

Old 12-26-2010, 04:05 PM

2,554 posts, read 3,736,666 times
Get the government out of here and bring in some REAL politicians. They are all F'ing idiots. Talk about going no where because of them.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:40 PM

2,452 posts, read 3,034,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cl3v3land View Post
Why is this? Everytime I read the paper online about something positive happening in Cleveland or something new bieng built there is at least ONE NEGATIVE PERSON trying to find the bad thing about the project.....Why cant people be happy positive things are happening in the city......(Also to those who will respond and say "well why don't you move to another city then?") Uhh because I still love and support my city and try to find positives unlike you so don't waste your time saying that...Thank You
I think it's just that the Comments section of online newspaper articles tends to attract all the whiners and complainers. Their negativity doesn't necessarily represent the attitude of the city populace as a whole. Nor is it just a Cleveland thing... I see the same thing going on in the Chicago online newspaper articles.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:18 PM

280 posts, read 330,742 times
I've visited Cleveland many times and it's not such a bad place. I think the area's self-image really took a hit when the Cuyahoga River caught on fire. The river is much, much cleaner now.

Cleveland hasn't been a boom town for years, and there are probably a lot of people in and around Cleveland who remember rosier times. However, that's true of many other cities in the region. It's just that Cleveland became the butt of some jokes that are not so true these days.

Cleveland sports fans have had their hearts broken many times. Sooner or later some team in Cleveland is going to win a championship, and the celebration is going to be fantastic; people in northeast Ohio have been waiting.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:38 PM

13,339 posts, read 9,703,841 times
Okay, I have mentioned before that I plan to relocate to Cleveland from Portland OR. My plans are beginning to take shape and I hope to move this coming fall. People's negativity is just their opinions. And I know some pretty positive people who like their city.

Just as Cleveland is underrated, Portland is overrated, over-hyped and achingly disappointing to many who move here based on the overblown description of the city that somehow gets spread around.

My advice to anyone making decisions on a place to live is to check out what you need in order to meet the necessities and amenities you are looking for. If a place suites you, it isn't important what others may think of it. Some people will always like a place and some won't.

To quote Simon and Garfunkle, "One man's ceiling is another man's floor."

Old 12-26-2010, 07:05 PM

413 posts, read 550,419 times
Default What!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
Yeah every single place you named besides CCF is not even in Cleveland. CCF is in the hood. Would you move your family to a house on say E. 85th, off a side street opposite Chester?
the only area that a poster listed not in CLEVELAND is Coventry Road , and it sure is not the Coventry Road I know from the late 1970's to the mid 1980's,as a kid .
When my family would shop at a grocery store on Coventry, (they felt the local grocery store was nolonger safe ,( Buckeye-Woodland) near
St. Lukes Hospital , or Hell Cromwell Avenue .
For the last couple of decades people have ran , it is easier , to do that,
If you feel like you do , get involved, You can't ? because you are not a
Resident of The City of Cleveland ? Become one .
Now living across the river , in an area some would say are you kidding?
noway ! My dad said , son put bars on your windows, protect your family.
I never ,ever ever had a problem, in 20 something years .
I know and talk to my neighbors
P.S bought my house way young
with the intent that my kids would not attend public school ,
anyway , Like I did ( Our Lady of Peace , and Benedictine )the lower cost of living where I was and still , allowed us to send the
the kids to a school of our choice and it was not a hardship .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland