U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 03:53 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,647,759 times

Advertisements

Some guy named Heisman or something may have been from Ohio City. I think they might have even named some award after him...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 08:55 PM

420 posts, read 936,913 times
Default The sign

I forgot about the Ohio Historical Sign at West 29th and Bridge Avenue, some 14 years ago , pounding the pavement with my teenage son, and nephews I thought I would show them some of the up and coming areas of Cleveland Proper . Of course they rolled thier eyes , when I said Look at all the great old houses that people are fixing up as we walked to the
restaurant. Then we came across the sign . All of sudden , I was sorta ,
maybe " cool " again , then again maybe not when someone in our group
yelled FEED US .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Some guy named Heisman or something may have been from Ohio City. I think they might have even named some award after him...

Old 01-20-2011, 09:02 PM

3,775 posts, read 6,263,360 times
I don't think LeBron counts, to be honest.

Akron isn't Cleveland and isn't a suburb of Cleveland. I think it's difficult to rationalize that. Akron has their own things with plenty of famous people themselves, ie. Lebron, the Black Keys, Maynard from Tool (Ravenna), Chrissie Hynde, Devo, etc.

If you count Lebron for Cleveland, you then have to count everyone from Akron too? Doesn't make sense.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:31 AM

458 posts, read 1,106,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post

Akron isn't Cleveland and isn't a suburb of Cleveland. I think it's difficult to rationalize that. Akron has their own things with plenty of famous people themselves, ie. Lebron, the Black Keys, Maynard from Tool (Ravenna), Chrissie Hynde, Devo, etc.

If you count Lebron for Cleveland, you then have to count everyone from Akron too? Doesn't make sense.
These two areas are more connected than many outsiders realize. Many regard Cleveland/Akron/Canton as ONE area. It could in part be that they are in the same media market as well. As for myself; I live in Cuyahoga Falls about 3 miles from the Akron border and consider myself a Clevelander. No one I know really considers themselves as an Akronite (if that is even what you would call it )

Old 01-22-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flee to the Cleve View Post
These two areas are more connected than many outsiders realize. Many regard Cleveland/Akron/Canton as ONE area. It could in part be that they are in the same media market as well. As for myself; I live in Cuyahoga Falls about 3 miles from the Akron border and consider myself a Clevelander. No one I know really considers themselves as an Akronite (if that is even what you would call it )
I grew up in Akron and Cuyahoga Falls (nice city, by the way) but disagree. Although I have allegiance to Cleveland on a macro level, if I told people I grew up with I was from Cleveland and not Akron, they'd laugh.

They grew independently of each other. Akron's history is quite rich, especially as late 19th century industrial revolution is concerned and deserves its own spot. In fact, had some certain things gone differently, one could make the case that Akron would be more renowned globally than Cleveland today.

Lebron, for himself, always states that he's from Akron and not from Cleveland. I never witnessed a rivalry, but there are youths today that equate Cleveland and Akron as rivals, not as one. Akron, despite recent population loss, still has a quarter of a million people, and there's no way I think Canton, 2 counties away and nearly an hour and a half drive, is one with Cleveland.

Just my 2 cents. I love both cities.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:58 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,020,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post

It's Northeast Ohio... They are naming famous people from NE Ohio. Cleveland is just the largest city in the region of the state.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:02 PM

766 posts, read 1,931,919 times
Peter Ostrum, who played Charlie Bucket in the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory grew up in Shaker Heights

Andy Borowitz - wrote for the Fresh Prince of Bel Air, and other TV shows and movies, also grew up in Shaker Heights

Also, here is a rather extensive list of people from cleveland: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...leveland,_Ohio

Old 01-22-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
It's Northeast Ohio... They are naming famous people from NE Ohio. Cleveland is just the largest city in the region of the state.
Yeah, if that's the title, that's absolutely correct and fine.

But the title is "Famous People from Cleveland" and it was said in a few posts that Akronites were Clevelanders.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:06 AM

3,133 posts, read 8,596,832 times
Bob Hope

Old 01-24-2011, 07:38 PM

709 posts, read 1,618,662 times
[quote=PeterRabbit;17550967]Bob Hope[/quote

I forgot about him for real
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or