U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 02:56 PM

25 posts, read 64,093 times

Advertisements

I have a room that suffered some water damage from a ice dam and I am looking into possibly fixing the issue as a DIY project.

Does anyone know off hand if Cleveland Heights requires permits for removing drywall and insulating and rehanging of new dry wall? Assuming no major repairs are needed in the walls/ceilings. It would just be me removing the old, insulating, and hanging new.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 01:36 AM

122 posts, read 407,092 times
No.

As a rule of thumb you don't need a permit unless you are adding space (or a new structure) or really changing the way exisiting space is used (eg converting unfinished basement space to a finished rec room). If you are replacing old or damaged with new (as in your question or replacing shingles or windows) you don't need a permit and frankly if you do all of the work "yourself" as long you don't do any building that is obvious from outside the home you can get away with no permit for most stuff you could do if you want to.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:44 PM

3,355 posts, read 2,980,677 times
If you want to follow city code to a tee, I wouldn't say that the answer is no. Most of the time, to be completely "legal," you need a permit for just about everything other than cosmetics (paint, wallcoverings, carpeting, etc.). However, if you are the homeowner, there isn't a whole lot the city could really do about it unless you violated a building and/or safety code. With what you plan to do, there isn't much danger in that or even in the city finding out that you did the work. Worst case, you'll probably be asked to pay a fee and get an inspection.

Much of the time, permits are nothing but a revenue grab. I'd say to be judicious if you are confident in your skills to perform the work on a professional level.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:12 PM

6,722 posts, read 2,097,146 times
Your best option is to just call and ask them. I have done work in your town in the past and I know they are rather strict. BE aware that most jurisdictions require an insulation inspection before you close, I think they go by the Ohio Building Code [OBC]. You must have the proper R value, 30 or more, and an air space above that.

I am sure Cleveland Heights requires ice shield at the gutter line, I hope you made an appropriate repair on the roof.

The City of Cleveland Heights (http://www.clevelandheights.com/citydept_safety_building.asp - broken link)

of course, most people just DIY and avoid the permiting, but you must be careful, any vengeful neighbors may turn you in.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:43 AM

Opps. Looks like I need to retract my earlier post (too late for me to edit it). I guess I should have known that Cleveland Heights would have to over-legislate even a simple DIY project. Sorry for the misinformation.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:35 PM

Most communities follow the same path when it comes to this. However, they will rarely attempt to enforce anything other than an egregious attempt (like a concrete driveway). Building codes are a good thing. Sane enforcement of them is also.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:56 PM

25 posts, read 64,093 times
I gave CLV Hts a call today and asked about this, surprisingly the response was that if I was only doing 1 room that was previously drywalled I don't need a permit to take it down, insulate, and install new drywall.

I was surprised at first so I kept putting more and more in the request, so I started with "If I remove a piece of drywall, can I replace it and add insulation behind it?" Then I went to "Can I take a wall down and insulate and redrywall? and finally asked "Can I do the whole room and redrywall?" Trying to see where the limit was. I think I will still take a cautious approach to the effort and not overdo trying to install to much drywall in the room however.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:10 PM

Or, just don't tell them!

Old 02-09-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marriott001 View Post
I gave CLV Hts a call today and asked about this, surprisingly the response was that if I was only doing 1 room that was previously drywalled I don't need a permit to take it down, insulate, and install new drywall.

I was surprised at first so I kept putting more and more in the request, so I started with "If I remove a piece of drywall, can I replace it and add insulation behind it?" Then I went to "Can I take a wall down and insulate and redrywall? and finally asked "Can I do the whole room and redrywall?" Trying to see where the limit was. I think I will still take a cautious approach to the effort and not overdo trying to install to much drywall in the room however.

Cool. That is the way it has been written and enforced most places I have lived.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:24 AM

20 posts, read 40,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Or, just don't tell them!
LOL, that's what I was thinking. From what it sounds like, you are basically just renovating the same exact thing that was already there. How would the city even know what you did? Why pay a permit fee for that?

Hell, even if you were to alter the orginal room, as long as you don't do a shoddy job, who cares. And if you do a shoddy job it will only hurt you if/when you try to sell the place.

I added a 1/2 bath to my old house and converted an attic into a 3rd floor bedroom - without a permit - and it didn't affect me when I sold the place (because it was done up to code, without actually being "up to code").

It increased the resale value of the home (and it helped keep property taxes lower to the buyer, who for tax purposes, was getting a 3-bedroom, 1600-square foot, 1 bath home that was actually a 4-bedroom, 1900-square foot, 1.5 bath home.)

Granted, the money for a permit would've been a drop in the bucket considering the amount or renovations I did, but still, why give the city that money just to say, OK, you know what you are doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland